Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets in the bowl?!?!

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I knew Spaz was thinking this when I took the picture and sure enough, moments later he tipped the bowl over!

fa3095661c8e57d74e15bd44f0c27c15.jpg

miniver

Cavy Slave
It's nice of our piggies to correct us when we do something wrong. You should know, the pellet dish is where the poo goes!

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
my guinea pigs are constantly peeing in the pellet bowl! Ahhh the frustration! <3

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
It's nice of our piggies to correct us when we do something wrong. You should know, the pellet dish is where the poo goes!
Lol! Mine like to mix some poo droppings in with the pellets too!

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
I think I may be among the lucky few whose piggies don't flip their bowls! :D They do however drag their hay EVERYWHERE in their cages xD

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
I have ceramic bowls, but even those don't keep my boys from tipping them over! It's so nice of our pigs to "arrange" the cage after we clean it, isn't it? Bacon and Eggs must thoroughly drag their hideys and toys around until it is just the way they want it.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I've noticed that Spaz actually dumps it while trying to drag it around. He pulls the bowl right up to an opening in his cave/couch/forest so he can sit in there and just poke his head out to grab a pellet. So funny!

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig eats all his kibble in like, 10 minutes and he definitely does not want to dump the kibble because then he cant eat them! (Im one of those people who only give him small servings in morning and night so he only gets a little at a time. My pig also happens to love his kibble a bit too much!)

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig eats all his kibble in like, 10 minutes and he definitely does not want to dump the kibble because then he cant eat them! (Im one of those people who only give him small servings in morning and night so he only gets a little at a time. My pig also happens to love his kibble a bit too much!)
I give mine just a little twice a day as well but they tend to just graze on it. It lasts hours sometimes. Probably that I overfeed them veggies! Not sure that I do but I often feel like I do. I sneak veggies to them several times a day some days plus the big salad every evening.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@blessedmom, you may be setting them up for dental problems if you're feeding that many veggies. They need the hay to keep their molars ground down, and it's also a significant source of protein for them. A cup or so of veggies is really all they need, and too much isn't a good thing.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
@blessedmom, you may be setting them up for dental problems if you're feeding that many veggies. They need the hay to keep their molars ground down, and it's also a significant source of protein for them. A cup or so of veggies is really all they need, and too much isn't a good thing.
Thanks @bpatters. I've honestly been thinking I should be measuring it out and keeping in mind I give random veggies throughout the day. Maybe slightly less than a cup per pig considering the extras they get everytime I walk by and get that cute "feed me" look!

I give them peppers or a tomato or carrot (sometimes small bites of strawberries as a treat) throughout the day. The evening salad is mainly green & red leaf lettuce plus a little mix of some of the following: carrot, celery, peppers, parsley, cucumber, cilantro, spinach.

Any changes I should make other than watching how much?

They also have constant hay of course and 1/8th c of pellets per pig split in two daily servings.

cavycrazy1107

Cavy Gazer
I just spread the pellets around the cage to avoid tipping, dominance of bowls, and guinea pigs are natural foragers so finding food scattered all over the cage is normal for them. It also makes them run around the cage to grab food, helping to exercise them.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Jabbers always dumped his almost right away while I was feeding the girls.with the hay he's even funnier. he'll tip his hay bowl use his little legs and kick it all out and nibbled what little was left in the bowl lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.