Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage A cage at Petsmart that is actually not too small!?!?

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I noticed this at Petsmart the other day. It looks to be a knock off of the Midwest Cage. Although a C&C is much preferred I'm happy to see they finally at least offer one that meets the minimum size. That divider needs to go of course.
d7af011de385549a62c8fc3090115d8b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
I started seeing those here where I live too but only at PetSmart, it is just like the Midwest but it is nice they include a hay rack with it even if it's not a really great hay rack but the price of this one is way more then what you can buy a Midwest one for. I had two Midwest cages that I really did love but have 3 boats I had to expand to a c&c although I don't have much walk space now as it takes up half of my living room but these could always be used with coroplast instead of the canvas bottom which is always nice too if you can't find the grids where you live at. But it is nice they do have it out in a store now to get

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Oh yes, I was surprised when I saw that at my local PetSmart too, and the guinea pigs for "sale" had hay in the fish tank too. I guess a lot of guinea pig owners have complained about the cage sizes and also the poor piggies for sale and PetSmart decided to "change" a little bit.

miniver

Cavy Slave
It's not a knock off. It really is a Midwest cage. This version has been manufactured to be sold under the All Living Things brand name. Other than the colour, it's exactly the same. I've seen both versions and I don't see any significant difference.

Newpiter

Cavy Slave
Awesome! o: I've been debating to get a second Midwest cage, since there isn't a whole lot of room to run around in with just one, however we literally have no space for a second cage that size so playtime outside the cage is just going to have to make up for their exercise they need.

I'm glad Petsmart is deciding to sell these though!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
In dimension, it's close to a 2X4. However, the grids in a C&C cage are actually 14". A 2X4 C&C means 2 grids by 4 grids, not 2 ft by 4 ft. So the dimensions for a 2X4 C&C are more like 28" X 56", even a little more if you are using connectors which put a little space between the grids. Also, the divider in the middle breaks up the running space. Guinea pigs need unencumbered running space in which to do laps. This divider gets in the way of that.

miniver

Cavy Slave
In dimension, it's close to a 2X4. However, the grids in a C&C cage are actually 14". A 2X4 C&C means 2 grids by 4 grids, not 2 ft by 4 ft. So the dimensions for a 2X4 C&C are more like 28" X 56", even a little more if you are using connectors which put a little space between the grids. Also, the divider in the middle breaks up the running space. Guinea pigs need unencumbered running space in which to do laps. This divider gets in the way of that.

The divider is a completely separate piece. You can leave it out. I agree that it's better not to divide the space.

I'm using mine as a temp cage over the holidays. My two sows are a little grumpy by the end of the week but otherwise they're just fine.

FYI - I'm making fleece liners for mine at the moment. The liner is exactly 24" x 47" for the full sixe of the inside of the canvas bottom.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yes but 24" x 47" is smaller than a 2x4 c&c cage. 28" x 56" is what you have with a 2x4 c&c cage

miniver

Cavy Slave
Yes but 24" x 47" is smaller than a 2x4 c&c cage. 28" x 56" is what you have with a 2x4 c&c cage

No, their everyday cage is a 2x5.
The Midwest cage is about the same size as a 2x3, which was their old temporary cage. Not great but it will do for a week long holiday, single pigs, quarantine, babies...etc.
I just thought I would mention the exact inside dimensions, since I happen to know them off the top of my head at the moment.

nikdarg

Cavy Slave
While not perfect, this is definitely a step in the right direction at least. Now they just need to stop selling the really tiny ones. And food that isn't good for pigs. And toys that aren't good for pigs. But still, if this can get better, perhaps that can as well.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Yes, I am just glad to see it's available as an option. I wish they wouldn't sell the ones that are too small. I was so frustrated when I first got piggies to learn there was nothing I buy easily for them. I ordered a Midwest and used it for a long time before finally building a C&C, which is way better, but the Midwest worked very well too. It also was awesome for when we traveled. I used to go back and forth between AR and TX and the Midwest was great for the hotel stays! While it was much smaller than their 2x5 with a 2x2 loft, even my two boars did great in it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.