Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sixteen Gerbils to be set free in the wild!?!!

kareebear

Cavy Slave
Hi guys- I hope this works as I am posing from my cell phone while sitting at the doctors office but.. A girl I know has sixteen gerbils bc they kept having babies and she obviously doesn't know how to care for them properly. She is in Milwaukee WI and just posted on fb that she is planning on letting them go in the wild because "it is warm out now" and "no pet store will take them".. I've contacted her and tried to talk her out of it but she's not having it and thinks that they will survive in the wild!! Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Field-of-Dreams

Cavy Slave
Yeah, it's ILLEGAL, tell her. If she gets caught it's a major fine.

Not to mention they'll all die, too.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The Milwaukee Animal Rescue Center looks like it only takes cats and dogs, but they might know of a gerbil rescue. You might suggest she call them for information.

Precia

Cavy Slave
Gerbils are desert animals and do not belong in Milwaukee. Tell her to man up and give these oor animals the proper care they deserve. And that means finding a good shelter and taking them there. She got herself into this mess and now she needs to get herself out - the right way! Not taking the easy way out and just "letting them run free".

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Most areas do carry significant fines for animal abandonment. Call your local police to find out what steps to take. Bunny rescues sometimes take in other small animals, you can call local rescues, and they may have someone there that can talk her out of this idiocy. Rescue people can be quite persuasive.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Is she just a FB friend or a friend-friend? Is she a minor? I was just wondering if there was any way to find out whether her parents know what she is planning on doing, if she's a minor.

Thank you for caring enough to try to do something.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Gerbils to good home ad on craigs list would be a better option. Ask like 3$ for one or 5$ for two. She could make a little cash in the bargain and the gerbils would have a better chance than in the wild. if this girl is going to throw them in the woods anyway, maybe she can be tempted by the almighty dollar to do the right thing.

kareebear

Cavy Slave
Wow thank you for all of the ideas/responses. I posted in haste sitting in the office at the doctors and haven't gotten to my computer to actually read responses until now. To answer some questions-

@GuineaPigPerson - I am actually about to move across the United States for the summer (MN to ME) and am leaving on Friday, if I was going to be around/have resources to take the gerbils in I would- even though I dont even think I have seen one in real life before LOL!

@Wildcavy - She is a facebook friend, not a friend that I keep in contact with often- she is actually a friend of my former roommate.. She is not a minor, she's got to be about the same age as me, so 23 or 24!

Well, her friends really tore her apart on her status- saying exactly what we were thinking/what's true- that they will for sure die out there etc. She retaliated with a "Come on guys! I was kidding! I would never be able to do that..." but who knows, her status seemed pretty serious-- here it is copy and pasted- "i think I'm going to let all the gerbils out in the wilderness some where. It's nice enough out where they won't die. Anyone want one before i set them free?"

As of now, it appears that she will be giving them to a friend who will attempt to rehome them through CL and through friends.. At least they will be out of her possession! 16 babies.....unbelievable!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.