Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Do kitchen's REALLY help contain hay?

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
Our house seems like hay-mageddon! Not matter what I try hay seems to get everywhere.
Do kitchen's really help with containing hay? Or will it simply be a waste of my money?

mtk2000

Cavy Slave
I had the same problem. My two girls would put it everywhere but since re doing my cage I have wasted less hay and have been able to keep the cage cleaner. My kitchen is a second level so any hay gets caught on the ramp instead of messing the whole cage. Heres a pic of my cage WIN_20140128_085210.jpg

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I don't think building an entire kitchen is necessary, but I'm sure it could help. No matter what, though, the guinea pigs are bound to spread the hay all over.

I provide my guinea pigs their hay in a small cat litter box. I put a few inches of disposable bedding in the litter box with a pile of hay on top. I take out whatever is uneaten at the end of the day and add new hay. I store my hay in a Rubbermaid container, so when I give them their hay I bring the box right next to the cage and ensure that no hay falls onto the floor.

SioCat

Cavy Slave
Yes!

I used to have a corner of the cage designed as their "kitchen" and it didn't contain a thing. It was messy and the mess spread to the rest of the cage. A few months ago, I added a 1x2 kitchen and I LOVE it!

Honestly, I'm not too concerned with hay getting everywhere, but this definitely contains the hay. A few times a week, we like to throw a bunch of hay in the kitchen for them to have a little fun with. They eat it, play in it and then sleep in it. We were never able to do that before the kitchen. The closest thing to it was a hay box and that would have gotten everywhere.

I recommend a kitchen for sure.

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That sounds like a great idea SioCat! I can't wait to throw some hay in my soon to be loft!

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
I think my piggies might be getting a Valentine's present! Even if it contains 10 extra strands of hay it'll be worth it!

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
@lissie, Do you have any pictures of your kitchen/ramp?

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Hey Lissie, a couple of questions regarding that product. When you say it is good for a 2-grid width cage do you mean it would fit in a 2X1 upper loft? Also, could you possibly post pictures of it and the ramp you added on to it? I am interested for sure. Thanks in advance!

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Lol agirlwithink! Great minds think alike huh?

lissie

Cavy Slave
I don't have any, but I can take some when I get home.

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Thanks bunches! Also, sorry for the double post. I dont remember how to tag people or how to delete posts. Its been like a year since I have been on here. >_<

lissie

Cavy Slave
The Home Depot tub is a nice size kitchen for 2 - 3 pigs. It's 27.6 in x 20 in. It's about 2 x 1.5 grids.

I have pics of my older kitchen that shows how to attach ramp in case you're interested. I've stopped using this because it only fits one pig. I needed to use four and it's just too much time to clean them.

6982062820_b620bddd94_c.jpg

6982036786_8d458335ef_c.jpg

6982039856_dc298cf3dd_c.jpg

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Great picture quality and super quick! Thanks bunches!!!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Great picture quality and super quick! Thanks bunches!!!

You're welcome. But these are old pics. Not the Home Depot tub. But it's the same idea to attach the ramp.

Matchamom

Cavy Slave
I found a cat litter pan that's made from plastic at the dollar general store. It is big enough for 2 pigs to sit in. I have their hay attached via a hay bag (above the litter box) and their dish sits inside as well the pan with wood pellets for bedding. I used a smaller bin for the water bottle - attached to the cage, but it has a drip pad under it (just something I fashioned from a cloth wrapped in fleece to absorb drips).

I used to have a kitchen out of coroplast and as long as the side is an inch high it works well to contain the hay and bedding. When I tried a loft, I didn't do it properly and had a total mess - it just kept coming down the ramp. I scrapped the whole loft idea and went with the cat litter pan because I'm out of coroplast to build a kitchen and it was economical. It's not as tall as the home depot bin shown above, and they do have to "hop" into it, but it's low enough to be safe for them.

If you are interested in pics, I'd be happy to take some.

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
I would love to do a kitchen but I need one for 4 I thought about trying a tote. But ran into problems of how to attach it to the cage they wont do another level.

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
I would love to see pics of your cat litter pan kitchen!

Kristine

Cavy Slave
Its made a world of difference for us. The key for us was to have high sides. Any hay escape now is minimal and only what gets snagged on them after a romp in the hay.

Attachments

image.jpg

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Hanging a hay rack or hay bag(s) in the kitchen keeps the mess and waste down the most off all the methods. Allergy sufferers will prefer a hay bag or hanging a solid hay box, as it contains more airborne particles. The trick to to make sure they can't climb in it or lay on top of it, so hang it low enough for them to reach the holes and make it tall enough to hold lots of hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.