Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Vacation issues and hay

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I am currently on vacation and have had a lot of issues pop up.
One is that I had a mishap with the large trash bag of hay I brought with me for the pigs.
we arrived during a huge thunderstorm and in getting their supplies from the car, the hay bag fell and half the hay got wet and muddy.
so now I have 4 pigs and half the amount of hay I would like for a week away from home.
we only use small pet select and the only option I have here now is Kaytee
I know that Kaytee hay is better than no hay but wondering if there is anything special I should do to it or with it if I am going to use it to supplement the remaining regular hay.

there is a pet store a hour and a half away that has oxbow, but due to the fact that my mother was admitted to icu on Christmas day, I don't have the time to drive the 3 hours round trip to get to that store.

thanks in advance.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Thanks!
i got a bag of the Kaytee.
Had to mix it in with their other because they did not want to eat it.

tried the local farmer route
went and looked at 2

think KMS and small pet select has spoiled me. Wasn't impressed with the local folks hay.

But the piggies are good till we make it back home!

KIM! You've been MIA from the Forum?

Sounds like it's Kaytee hay or no hay? That makes the decision pretty easy as "no hay" isn't an option. And, your cavies won't be eating Kaytee long term. Time to be a little flexible.

Have you considered approaching a nearby farmer to see if s/he will either sell you enough hay (or give it to you) from a larger bale to meet your needs for the week? Be sure to smell it and pick through it to eliminate any briars or bugs. Otherwise, my suggestion is to go ahead and feed the Kaytee and supplement it with corn husks if they are available. I'm sure you know to feed only the inner tender green husks torn in strips since the outer husks are likely to be tainted with pesticides.

Best wishes to your Mom for a speedy recovery. :love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.