Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New (sort of) guinea pig owner here...learning as much as I can!

lattelove

Cavy Slave
Hello! My family and I adopted a beautiful tri-color male guinea pig (I think he is an Abyssinian due to his rosette hair growth pattern). I had guinea pigs for a time as a kid, but it's been many years, so we are new to owning guinea pigs for all practical purposes.

I see there have been a lot of changes in the acceptable standards for guinea pig care since I last owned one, and I now know that the cage I bought at the pet store is not adequate. We are playing with Pebbles a lot and giving him a lot of extra floor time while we shop for a more appropriate habitat for him.

I am reading through the posts about habitats, fleece and other types of bedding, etc. in order to learn the most efficient way of keeping his habitat clean and sanitary. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as well, and I'm looking forward to participating in the forums.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, this forum has lots of great ideas, tips, and advice. Enjoy!

Bimballina

Cavy Gazer
Hi eveyone my name is bimballina i have 12 skinny pigs at the moment. Im trying my hand at breeding my pigs insted of buying them. I have one prego piggie atm and i am looking for advice on dite and care for my piggie. I was on another fourm and was kicked of for asking for advice becuse i chose to breed my piggies and aperintly thay dont alow ppl to ask for that if thay intunaky breed pigs. So any advice any one has would be welcome. Thanks

Bimballina

Cavy Gazer
Hi i have 12 piggies and i use c&c cages and flece and it works out wonderfuly becuse you can shape the cages how ever you want to.

Bimballina

Cavy Gazer
20210703_113128_HDR.jpg this should be pics of the cage set up i use

Bimballina

Cavy Gazer
20210609_183533.jpg heres another cage for my girl pigs

Bimballina

Cavy Gazer
20210921_081625.jpg i also use a table set up to maximize my space

figinwhistles

Cavy Slave
Hello! My family and I adopted a beautiful tri-color male guinea pig (I think he is an Abyssinian due to his rosette hair growth pattern). I had guinea pigs for a time as a kid, but it's been many years, so we are new to owning guinea pigs for all practical purposes.

I see there have been a lot of changes in the acceptable standards for guinea pig care since I last owned one, and I now know that the cage I bought at the pet store is not adequate. We are playing with Pebbles a lot and giving him a lot of extra floor time while we shop for a more appropriate habitat for him.

I am reading through the posts about habitats, fleece and other types of bedding, etc. in order to learn the most efficient way of keeping his habitat clean and sanitary. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as well, and I'm looking forward to participating in the forums.

welcome! and congrats on your new piggie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Bimballina, we do not recommend or condone breeding. While we will answer general questions, we will not assist you in the process, and you may not display pictures of your pigs on the forum.

Guinea pigs are susceptible to a number of genetic problems, some of which cause lifelong pain, others are fatal. Pregnancy and delivery are very hard on guinea pig sows, in no small part because the pups are so large in relation to the sow. Death rates for both sows and pups are high.

There are enough accidental pregnancies to keep the species going without another pig ever being deliberately bred. Please do not do this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.