Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior "Sounds of Music" experiement"

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone ! Here is our "Sounds of Music" experiment, conducted as a group, by the following members. We will be posting our observations/reports in the following order:

1. kathlaaron
2. OllieandFriends
3. NotAgain_pigly's
4. KiwiCavyAdorer
5. faye_arv
6. Henrysmommy
7. Hhbean
8. skinnyguineas

After we each post our observations, we will be giving everyone outside the experiment, 24 hrs from the time posted, a chance to respond or ask any questions regarding our individual experiments. So please feel free to ask or give comments...and we will do our best to answer.

For Ex: After I give my report, I will be the one to respond to any questions or comments on the experiment "I" conducted. I will have 24 hrs to answer and respond before OllieandFriends gives her report and observations. Then when she has posted her results, then she will will have 24 hrs in which to answer any questions or comments regarding "her" experiment, and so on...

Some of us will be conducting the experiment using the same style of music, each day, while others will be picking a different style to play each day. Everyone's experiments will vary a little bit, each adding their own special touch to the experiment, but all, following within the same general guidelines.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kathlaaron's observation report
I used the online Pandora free music for my experiment.(fyi)

Here is a brief bio of both my guinea pigs, below:

Cuddles: Cuddles is an 11 1/2 month old Abyssinian female. Very smart, very vocal, and a fairly nervous type piggie. In time, though it has taken a lot of time and a lot of patience, she has become much less timid, much more affectionate, and much more relaxed. It took nearly 9 months to establish a close bond with her.

Buttercup: Buttercup is an 11 month old Dutch Crested smooth haired female. I bonded with her first, when she was only 5 months old. Buttercup is a very active, strong, fairly agile piggie who is very affectionate and interacts and responds with joy at the sound of my voice . She is always the first one to greet me, looking for pets and interaction.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday Oct.3, 2011

3:00pm-3:30pm

Classical Music

Some examples of music played are as follows:
1. The Swan cello concerto by; Bach
2. Piano concerto No.26 by; Mozart
3. Piano solo Kiss The Rain by; Yiruma-LOVE this piece, highly recommend it!
4. If you Believe-by Jim BrickmCountry Musian, piano solo
5. Live To Love; piano solo by; Paul Cardall

Cuddles: Heard some shuffling from her in the hay piles, the first 5 minutes. Then she stayed quiet, and still but really seemed to be listening.

Buttercup: She stirred some in her alligator cozy the first few minutes, and then seem to relax and just listen.

Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2011

3:15pm-3:45pm

Folk Rock Music
Some example of music played are:
1. Old Man Take A Look At My Life by: Simon @ Garfunkel
2. The Times They Are Changing by: Peter, Paul @ Mary
3. Both Sides Now by: Joni Mitchell
4. Lonely People by: America
5. Duncan by: Paul Simon
6. Let It Be, by: The Beatles
7. The Way I Am, by; Ingrid Michaelson

Cuddles: Cuddles popcorned right away under her pile of hay and I heard some faint wheeking from her as well. Evenually she laid down, completely relaxed. ( Head still up and listening).

Buttercup: Moved around in her soft tent tunnel like she was trying to get a better position for "listening". She started out in a sitting position, then gradually laid down,but with head still up. Then, towards the end of music time, she was all the way down, stretched all the way out, laying completely flat, very relaxed.

Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2011

4:00pm-4:30pm

Country Music
Some of the artists that were played were:
1. Rascall Flatts
2. Trent Tomlinson
3. Clay Walker
4. Keith Anderson
5. Luke Bryan
6. Shania Twain

Cuddles: Remained cuddled up close together, "frozen" under the fuzzy blanket tunnel.

Buttercup: Remained cuddled up close together, "frozen" under the fuzzy blanket tunnel.

Thursday, Oct.6,2011

3:00pm-3:38pm

Folk Rock Music
Some examples of music played were:
1. Hallelujah by: Jeff Buckley
2. In My Life by: The Beatles
3. Slip Slidin Away by: Paul Simon
4. Let's Live For Today by Grass Roots
5. Dreams by Fleetwood Mac
6. Danny's Song by Loggin @ Messina
7. 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover by:

Cuddles: Popcorned a few times in her fish cozy in the beginning and towards the end. She really seemed to enjoy this music sound. After about 10 minutes or so she seemed to settle down and just listen, very alert, but does not seem to be afraid at all.

Buttercup: Changed postitions under her fuzzy blanket tunnel within the first 5 minutes. Seemed to be sitting and listening, and also enjoying this sound of music. After about 10 minutes she laid down, but with head still up, and then eventually she laid completely flat, possibly snoozing !

8:00pm-8:30pm

Smooth Jazz
Some examples of music played are as follows:
1. Tinsel Town By Ronny Jorday
2. Groovetree by Lin Rountree
3. Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight by; Euge Groove
4. One Arabian Knight by; Brian Tarquin
5. Until You Come Back To Me by; D-For
6. Soul Dance by Russ Freeman
7. My Funny Valentime by Sherry Winston - I really liked this piece of music, the flute was beautiful..

Cuddles: Seemed unaffected, even bored by this music. Didn't seem to really enjoy it, no shuffling, just seemed bored and sleepy.

Buttercup: Seemed unaffected by music as well..acting very bored, listless and sleepy.

Thursday, Oct. 13, 2011

8:15pm-9:00pm

Classic Rock
Some examples of music played are:
1. You Shook Me All Night Long by; AC/DC
2. Come Together by: The Beatles
3. Carry On Wayward Son by: Kansas
4. The Joker by; The Steve Miller Band
5. What I Like About You by; The Romantics
6. The House of The Rising Sun by The Animals
7. You May Be Right by; Billy Joel
8. Can't Get Enough by: Bad Company
9. Jet Airliner by : The Steve Miller Band

Since I found thier reactions to this type of music so funny and interesting, I noted their reactions throughout the 30 minutes. I also started playing their music at night time, to see any difference.

8:15p.m

Cuddles @ Buttercup: Both girls seemed scard to death by this music ! Right away both girls dashed into their Princess Wooden Hidey, stuffing themselves in. The hidey barely can fit both, so Cuddles butt was hanging out. It was so very cute, and hysterical ! They were both startled and afraid though. Poor sweeties !

Buttercup: After about 3 or 4 minutes, Buttercup ran to her fish cozy.
Cuddles: Cuddles remained in their Princess Wooden Hidey.

8:21pm
Cuddles @buttercup : Both still seemd very scard, and sitting very still, wide eyed and overly alert.
8:27 pm
Cuddles: got her courage up to come out of thier Princess Wooden Hidey and jumped quick into the fish cozy with Buttercup.
8:35pm
Buttercup: Buttercup booted Cuddles out of the fish cozy.
Cuddles: When Buttercup booted her out of the fish cozy, she made a mad dash and ran under her log bridge, where their piles of hay are on either side.
8:39 pm
Buttercup: Buttercup seems to be relaxing now, finally, since the song The House Of The Rising Sun, came on the radio. However, she still remained in their fish cozy.
Cuddles: Still under log bridge, very alert, though less frightened. I saw her popcorn a few times when the last song, Jet Airliner, came on the radio.

Friday, Oct 14, 2011

9:10pm-9:30pm

Hip Hop Music
Some examples of music played:
1. Boom Boom Pow by Black Eyed Peas
2. Park Rock Anthem by, LMFO
3. Yeah ! By Usher
4. SexyBack by; Justin Timberlake
5. Hey Mama by; Black Eyed Peas
6. I Like It by Enrique Iglesias
7. The Time by; (Dirt Bit)

Cuddles: Ran into the hay pile under her log bridge, as far back as she could.
Buttercup: Ran into her fish cozy, as far back as she could into the tail of the fish.

9:13pm
Cuddles: Looking this way, seems less frightened, more interested now. Lays down, with head still up looking this way and that down the length of her cage.
Buttercup: Butttercup also seems to relax enough, that she too lays down, listening now closer to the mouth of the fish cozy, with her head layed down now as well.
9:20pm
Cuddles: Seems to still be listening, a little more relaxed yet still alert.
Buttercup: Still chillin', head laid down, but awake and listening for sure. Just looked up and around for about 20 seconds, then plopped her head bacdk down..nose close to the fish mouth opening.
9:26pm
Both girls seemed unafraid by now of the music being played, even somewhat interested. Cuddles stayed a little more "tense" were Buttercup became completely relaxed towards the end of music time.

Both of my girls seemed to enjoy the Folk Rock music the most,( my favorite) which is interesting to me. I have never played any music in here or our home, so I found it very interesting and very cool that they seemed to like my favorite type of music !

Both seemed afraid of Classic Rock and Country music the most. Classical I believe they found either boring or totally relaxing..not sure which. They were afraid of Hip Hop music at first, but then seem to relax a bit, and even enjoy some of it.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Anyone like to comment or have any questions ? This experiment was very time consuming, so would really appreciate any thoughts, or input ! Thanks a bunch! :eek:

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Wow, that was alot of work kathlaaron! You did fantastic, though! I find it very interesting that they were both afraid of country! I usually play country music for Pedro because I figured it would be the least scary. He doesn't seem affected by music much, but I will have to try to switch it up for him! Thanks for posting your findings!!
ETA: I just wanted to add that both my guinea pig and chinchilla love to listen to my sister and her boyfriend play soft sounds on the guitar. They just sit there and listen and then get very excited. Just wanted to add that tidbit of info! :)

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Hey you know what ?! Both my husband and I play guitar also ! I use to play for my students ( 22 children, all 5yr. olds) when I was a pre-school teacher back in Newton, Mass. !! My husband is better than I am though. I haven't played my guitar in years...I should try playing for my sweet little fur balls !

Thank you so much for the encouragement...it really means a lot.

P.S. I didn't understand why they were afraid of country music either, weird ! I don't like country that much myself, though there are a few that I REALLY like, like Shania Twain.

Last edited:

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Neat! It would be very interesting to see if your girls also like the guitar! I personally don't care for country and never really listen to it, but I thought it would be the least scary for a small animal compared to other types. Now I will try other kinds to see how they like it! Thank you!! lol

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Kathlaaron I had such a laugh with Buttercup antic's booting Cuddles out of the fish cosy!! It must have been such fun to watch!:D :melodrama

Wonderful experiment! (didn't know there was a free music source @ Pandora - thanks for that!)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Another thing you might need to consider is the volume, bass and treble. I'd be inclined to think that those three might cause them to react more than the type of music. I think they become conditioned to different types of sounds so music might not affect them much when they're exposed to vacuum cleaners that are a lot louder. I've only had two situations when my guinea pigs reacted to sounds. I fostered a guinea pig that would climb up the side of the cage whenever my son practiced piano. He was across the room from him so he would strain to try and see what was going on. One time I googled whistling songs and played them. My guinea pigs wheeked to a lot of them; probably because I whistle when I give them treats.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
pinky-I kept the volume at a consistent level for all the different types of music, is that what you mean ?

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
Yes. Volume makes a difference but so does the amount of bass and treble. Bass is the sound you "feel" when music plays. Some songs have more bass than others.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Yes, I definitely agree ! However since I was there for the full 30 minutes or so, to observe any and all behavioural reactions to any given piece of music, I was there to make "adjustments" to the sound level if the bass/treble needed it. Thanks for your valid input, it is appreciated !:)

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Great notes! Really fun reading, too! I totally agree about Jazz being boring! ha ha ha.

Looking forward to more reports!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Have you ever considered videotaping each one and uploading those? It would be fun to watch. You could have separate threads for each music type and have different people play the exact same songs under the same conditions (with pigloos or nothing in the cage, time of day, after eating or before eating, etc.) to see if the reactions are the same. Set the criteria so you could see if they react to the music and not something else.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Yes ! I totally did think of doing that ! I really did...even had my husband set up our video camera (asked if I could use his tri-pod) but between taking notes, observing without any of my interactions, or any other distractions, was challenging enough, so I decided against it.

Also, I wasn't sure how much of a "reaction" I would get from my girls, and feared all that extra work (editing video afterwards, ect.) would not pay off , if they didn't venture out of their secure hidey's much, and end up being very boring. Which as it turns out, my girls didn't come out of them too much at all...unfortunately. For someone's else's piggies that are really "use" to music, this would perhaps, be more beneficial. I will ask a couple people in our group experiment if they are game !

If no one is interested, then maybe I will see if I can come up with something like that sometime soon...now that I am all done with my part in our group experiment...for I do think it's a good idea!:eek:

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think our presence can be a big factor in how our pigs react. I've watched some of the web cam taping some people on here have set up and it's interesting to see what they do when no one is around. It would be interesting to see that sort of thing with music going on and off in intervals but no one around.

Yes ! I totally did think of doing that ! I really did...even had my husband set up our video camera (asked if I could use his tri-pod) but between taking notes, observing without any of my interactions, or any other distractions, was challenging enough, so I decided against it.

Also, I wasn't sure how much of a "reaction" I would get from my girls, and feared all that extra work (editing video afterwards, ect.) would not pay off , if they didn't venture out of their secure hidey's much, and end up being very boring. Which as it turns out, my girls didn't come out of them too much at all...unfortunately. For someone's else's piggies that are really "use" to music, this would perhaps, be more beneficial. I will ask a couple people in our group experiment if they are game !

If no one is interested, then maybe I will see if I can come up with something like that sometime soon...now that I am all done with my part in our group experiment...for I do think it's a good idea!:eek:

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
OllieandFriends’ Observation Report!
During this experiment I used YouTube and iTunes songs, and I always started the experiment close to 3:00pm. I used different types of songs, but I didn’t organize them through genre, I also mostly replayed the same song over the entire 30 minutes. I have played music for them before, but it was never played every day and not on any kind of schedule.

A Brief Bio of My Boys
Oliver: Oliver is about 1 year old; we were told that he is younger than Perry by about a month. He is the shyest, but also the loudest. He won’t come running to the side of the cage unless he knows that food is coming. Oliver loves to explore and is always trying to run away when I hold him.

Perry: Perry is about 1 year and month old. He is the first one at the cage when I walk into the room. He’s always looking for food and sleeps closely to it. Perry is also my cuddle bug; he loves lap time and always curls up and falls asleep in no time.

Monday, October 10[SUP]th[/SUP] 2011
Music Played: Lullaby Baby Bedtime music – Fisher Price (YouTube)

Oliver: Mostly stayed in the same spot in his hidey where he started, sleeping. He only came out once (he went to the food dish for pellets) during the entire time for about a minute. When he went back he mostly just stood in his hidey, looking bored.

Perry: Stayed under his fleece the entire time, sleeping. He rolled over at some point, but remained asleep. He didn’t really seem to be bothered by, or interested in the music.

Tuesday, October, 11[SUP]th[/SUP] 2011
Music Played: “Flowers are Red” by Harry Chapin (YouTube)

Oliver: He moved around a lot more this time, he came out of his hidey after a couple minutes, coming over to the bars then going and eating. He switched between eating hay and pellets, mostly sticking to the hay. He went back to his hidey and went to sleep almost instantly after the 30 minutes.

Perry: Also came out from under his fleece and ate some hay. He ran around a bit more, wandering around the cage and pushing around some toys. He went back to his fleece after about 20 minutes and fell asleep soon after.

Wednesday, October 12[SUP]th[/SUP] 2011
Music Played: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 21 – Andante (YouTube)

Oliver: Started in his hidey, but came out soon after the music started. He sniffed around for a couple minutes then went to the hay and started eating. He made a noise in the middle of the 30 minutes; I think it was a happy noise. He didn’t go back to his spot this time, but kept walking around the cage and eating hay.

Perry: Also went between wandering around the cage and eating. If I ever moved too much or made a noise of any kind, he would come up to the side of the cage to see what I was doing. Toward the end, he laid down in the hay and ate.

Thursday, October 13[SUP]th[/SUP] 2011
Music Played: “One Week” by The Barenaked Ladies(YouTube)

Oliver: Started in the same spot as the last few days, he didn’t leave this spot for 10 minutes. When he did leave it he went to their hay rack and ate, switching back and forth between hay and pellets. He eventually laid down in the hay and watched me. Close to the end of the half hour, he went back to his hidey and laid down there.

Perry: Started out eating and remained by the hay for most of the time. He came over to the side of the cage at around 20 minutes and then went back to the hay rack where he laid down and fell asleep. He remained there for the rest of the 30 minutes.

Friday, October 14[SUP]th[/SUP] 2011
Music Played: “Permafrost” by Laurena Segura (iTunes)

I heard a noise at some point in this experiment, but I’m not sure which piggie it came from.
Oliver: Before I even started he was perked up and seemed to be waiting for the music to start. He went to the hay rack and started eating, and then he would go to the food bowl and start eating pellets, then back to the hay rack. He moved around more, going around the cage and back to the food. He went back to the other side, laid down and went to sleep.

Perry: Came over to the side of the cage to see what I was doing, then went to the hay rack and ate. He laid down in the hay after around 10 minutes, and continued to eat. He ate hay for the rest of the 30 minutes, with nothing new happening.

Saturday, October 15[SUP]th[/SUP] 2011
Music Played: “Just Can’t Wait to be King” from The Lion King (YouTube)

Oliver: He was eating in the beginning, but he always had a different look on his face like he was really listening to the music. He continued to eat hay and pellets through most of the experiment but he eventually laid down as close to where my laptop was sitting near the cage and looked like he was listening. He remained there for the rest of the experiment, keeping his head up during the entire time.

Perry: He went between sniffing Oliver and eating hay for almost the entire 30 minutes. Eventually after about 20 minutes, he laid down in the hay and watched us for awhile, he put his head down after some point and started falling asleep.

Sunday, October 16[SUP]th[/SUP] 2011
Music Played: Various Songs by Hank Green (iTunes)

Oliver: Watched me in the beginning, but he went to eat some pellets soon after the music started. He went to the hay rack after a few minutes of pellets. He ate hay for the rest of the 30 minutes, only stopping to watch me if I moved.

Perry: Moved around more, coming over to the side at various time in the half hour and wandering around the cage more. He also went to the hay rack and ate hay between the times of wandering.

Monday, October 17[SUP]th[/SUP] 2011
Music Played: “Moves Like Jagger” by Maroon 5 (YouTube)

Oliver: Oliver was popcorning at the very beginning today! He only did it a couple of times though before he went on to eating hay. He stayed eating by the hay for the rest of the 30 minutes.

Perry: He was eating hay and smelling around the cage the entire time. He also popcorned, but it was after I turned the music off.

Tuesday, October 18[SUP]th[/SUP] 2011
Music Played: Various Songs by Metric (iTunes)

Oliver: He wandered around the cage, ate hay, and did some jumping over his food bowl. He also went to his water bottle a couple of times for a drink. In the end he laid down in his spot and fell asleep.

Perry: He ate hay for most of the time, but if I moved or made a noise he would come over to the side of the cage and watch me.

Wednesday, October 19[SUP]th[/SUP] 2011
Music Played: “This too Shall Pass” by Ok Go (YouTube)

Oliver: He watched me as I got the music started, and then went on to eat hay and pellets. He also moved around the cage, going to the water bottle and continuing around the cage until he laid down, falling asleep.

Perry: He mostly ate hay, but he also threw his paper towel tube around. He also laid down near the end of the half hour and fell asleep.

Thursday, October 20[SUP]th[/SUP] 2011
Music Played: Various Songs by Aqua (YouTube)

Oliver: He was eating hay in the beginning, then went on to wander around the cage moving his toys around. By the end of the half hour he laid down, but didn’t put his head down. When I turned off the music and put the fleece back, he went right to it.

Perry: Like Oliver, he started with eating hay but he laid down and fell asleep after 10 minutes and kept sleeping for the remainder of the half hour.

Friday, October 21[SUP]st[/SUP] 2011
Music Played: Various Songs by Owl City(iTunes)

Oliver: Moved around the cage, going from eating hay to drinking, then back to eating hay. Every now and then he would come over to the side of the cage and watch what I was doing, then go back.

Perry: He was sleeping when the music started, but he soon woke up and went over to the hay rack. He ate hay for the rest of the half hour.

Saturday, October 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] 2011
Music Played: Various Songs by Coldplay(iTunes)

Oliver: Ate hay for the entire time, but he looked up and watched me when I made a noise or moved.

Perry: Also ate hay for the entire time, but he never looked up or watched me if I did anything.

Sunday, October 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] 2011
Music Played: “99 Times” by Kate Voegele (iTunes)

Oliver: He ate hay for the entire time, but he still watched me if I moved or made a noise of any kind.

Perry: He also ate hay for the entire time, but again, he didn’t look up if I moved or made a noise.

Conclusions
After the first few times of having the music on, they seemed to use it as a dinner bell. Before I started this experiment they would have always have been sleeping every 10 minutes, now they are much more awake during this time. I went to see them yesterday and they were both wheeking like they were expecting me to use

The lullaby seemed to bore them, or relax them. Other then this song, they didn’t seem to mind any of the other songs played during the two weeks. I think that Oliver’s favourite song during the experiment was “I Just Can’t Wait to be King”, he really seemed to be listening close, even though he didn’t popcorn. Perry reacted to all the songs in the same sort of way, so I don’t think he really cared.

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
I'm just fixing a mistake I made:
Conclusions

After the first few times of having the music on, they seemed to use it as a dinner bell. Before I started this experiment they would have always have been sleeping every 10 minutes, now they are much more awake during this time. I went to see them yesterday and they were both wheeking like they were expecting me to put on music.

The lullaby seemed to bore them, or relax them. Other then this song, they didn’t seem to mind any of the other songs played during the two weeks. I think that Oliver’s favourite song during the experiment was “I Just Can’t Wait to be King”, he really seemed to be listening close, even though he didn’t popcorn. Perry reacted to all the songs in the same sort of way, so I don’t think he really cared.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
It's so interesting reading about what the piggies did during this experiment. I hope that others take it on and do their own observations in a similar way. We could end up learning something new!

Ollieandfriends you said you put your fleece back at some stage, so did you remove any beds for the time of the experiment?

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer
I only moved the hanging fleece because it was blocking my view as I watched them. If they went underneath of them, I would have had to practically put my head into their cage to see what they were doing! lol

The hanging fleece blankets were the only things that I touched, before the music started and after it was turned off.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Ah I see, makes sense lol hard to observe if you can't see!!

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
NotAgain_pigly's was due to post 27th October, before me on 28th October.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.