Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners U-haul dye stains fleece and dryer

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone

I've just taken out all of the pigs liners and cozies and I noticed that the dryer was blue. Literally. The fleece turned from white to light blue as well. Could this be the u-haul? I doubt it was the blue fleece (the one with polka-dots) since this didn't happen when I was trying to get it to wick a few weeks ago. I purchased the u-haul from a local u-haul supplier, and I'm 100% sure that it's the "furniture pad" kind made from recycled denim.

Attachments

IMG_5855.jpg IMG_5856.jpg IMG_5858.jpg IMG_5860.jpg IMG_5863.jpg

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I am pretty sure that the bleeding of dyes is one reason the uhaul pads need to be prepped before sewing and they need to be completely sandwiched between 2 pieces of fleece.

pouty

Cavy Slave
That's never happened to me

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I am pretty sure that the bleeding of dyes is one reason the uhaul pads need to be prepped before sewing and they need to be completely sandwiched between 2 pieces of fleece.

I have bought and used 8 uhaul blankets and never have had that happen. Most do not sew the uhaul between two pieces of fleece unless they are making a pad. That also does not look like the pads I have bought as mine were more lighter in color and didn't look so hairy. My pads also stated they were 100% recycled denim. 100_0584.jpg100_0639.jpg If you can see from the bits in my shots they are different blankets.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Au contraire......a great many of us DO sew the fleece and uHaul. If you plan to sew the uHaul pads, they absolutely MUST be prepared as they will shrink quite a bit. There is nothing worse than carefully making your cage liners only to have the middle shrink and bunch-up the fleece outer layer.:eek:hmy: I generally wash them about three times in hot water and dry on "hot" as well to prepare them. They often will "bleed" a bit on the first wash, but nothing in the amount that would discolor your machine.

It's difficult to discern if yours is the exact pad most of us use. I suspect that you just may have purchased an unlikely lot. In any event, be sure to prepare them next time if you skipped that step.

AND again you are making a cage pad/liner...

**Most do not sew the uhaul between two pieces of fleece unless they are making a pad.**

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
There is nothing worse than carefully making your cage liners only to have the middle shrink and bunch-up the fleece outer layer.:eek:hmy: I generally wash them about three times in hot water and dry on "hot" as well to prepare them. They often will "bleed" a bit on the first wash, but nothing in the amount that would discolor your machine.

Oh..that must explain why it was all bunched up when I put it in the cage. I had never heard of preparing the uhaul until now; I have only heard of preparing the fleece so that it'll wick. Hmm.. I guess I'll have to do that next time, as I am actually in a need of more uhaul pads. The uhaul pad was actually given to me for free. We had found a local uhaul store, and we decided to buy pads from there rather than online, as it would be a bit more expensive. When we arrived, I saw several large bags filled with uhaul pads, but I did not notice the "only for rent" sign. We asked for assistance from one of the workers there to figure out the price (it was not shown, or so I didn't see). It was only then, did I learn that the uhaul pads were only for rent. He said that he might have some scraps in the back, and sure enough, he came back with a pretty large piece. When I had asked if the uhaul pads that were for rent were for sale, he had asked why I needed them and I told him for my pet's cage. He said "for guinea pig bedding, right?" so I'm assuming he knew what furniture pad I was talking about. Anyway, when he showed me the uhaul pad he found in the back, he told me that since he couldn't sell it (I think it was because of the size..I don't know) he was willing to give it to me for free.

The pad was large enough to make a cage liner for a 2x6 with a lot left over. I think I know why it stained my dryer so bad. The uhaul pad has blue print on it saying "Property of Uhaul", "Please Return", along with a picture of a globe. Hopefully, it won't bleed again.

This is the one that I bought.

Attachments

image_handler.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.