Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Treats Piggies and Pumpkin questions

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
For a Halloween treat we'd like to let our piggies have a little bit of fresh/raw pumpkin--- I just had a few questions first :)

On the nutrition chart it says pumpkin is ok 1-2 times a week. I'd only give them a little bit at first like anything new. What's the best part to give them? Can they have the the skin? I know of course no seeds and I imagine the "goop" part is a bad idea too.

Is there anything else I need to know about pumpkin? Thanks in advance!

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
This is mostly a guess, but I would think the actual hard, pulpy part (the part between the skin and the goop) is probably what is eaten when people eat pumpkins. I mean, pumpkin is a winter squash, right? So, I'm just kinda thinking of the part that I eat on other winter squashes like butternut.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
@LittleSqueakers , that's my guess too. I just want to check everything and make sure it's a good idea first! :)

AnitaJohnson

Cavy Slave
As you know the majority of a cavy's diet should consist of hay and pallets, but there is no issue if you feed them a small amount of fruits and vegetables, for that reason its possible to feed them pumpkin slices. If you want more details this is a long post about guinea pigs pumpkin.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I decided not to give them any because I wasn't sure. And after doing more research, I discovered it's super high in vitamin A so they should only have very small amounts and not very often.

AnitaJohnson

Cavy Slave
That exactly true, for any question just ask me back.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.