Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Ball on my young cuy's neck

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
I woke up this morning with something rather disturbing that I've never seen before. I went into google and typed "ball under guinea pigs neck". I JUST noticed that my youngest (cuy) has a huge ball under her neck. She seemed perfectly fine and eating normally but I'm barely noticing it today. I happened to lay next to their cage and specifically caught a look at her. She's extremely wild and is very jittery so the slightest movement she'll find a way to run away. When she's on the move the ball is very visible compared to when she's sitting/laying down. I tried my best to take a picture but this is what it looks like. What it possibly be?

20140601_061912_HDR.jpg

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
I tried my absolute best to take these without her running away but as you can see there's a bulge. On the second picture you can see it a bit more coming out of her neck.

20140601_062610_HDR.jpg

20140601_062621_HDR.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Possibly a benign cyst, or an abscessed tooth, or cervical lymphadenitis (which is contagious if the lump ruptures). Time for a good vet.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
My current vet is Dr. Ridgeway from Long Beach animal hospital. I found him on (broken link removed)

He's also contributed on Guinealynx via https://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html his statement on heart disease as well as recommended by many, which is why I've gone to him. While he may be competent, he's usually always booked. Should I separate yuna from the rest for the time being? What would you suggest? As of now they are closed til 10am which is in 3 hours from now

Last edited:

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Oh I want to mention one more thing but I don't know if this is related at all or could've caused anything. Ever since I adopted Yuna she has a tendency to sneeze ALOT. I check her nose when I catch her in a tunnel and she has no trace of any snot or discharge. She sneezes and wipes her nose. I always figure it's because she gets hay dust in her nose. She's always been seemingly healthy and eats normally and poops normally.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your call about the separation. It depends on how stressed out she'll be if she's separated, and your willingness to deal with a contagious organism if it ruptures.

I'd mention the sneezing to the vet.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Thanks! It's going to be rough but I may end up separating her. She usually likes being on her own but what I'll do is I'll treat it as an introduction and have a "Wall" between them. I'm going to make an extra area just for her. They open up in an hour so I'm going to try and call asap.

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
Cervical lymphadenitis, in my experience, is one of the more contagious organisms around. And it can take a long time to treat and clear up. The first cuy that we rescued 3 years ago was a mother cuy and her 5 pups. Several of the cuy ended up with CL. Cuy do get stressed easily which doesn't help. Hopefully it will be something else.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
I'm going to pray that it'll be something else. I read that Lipoma can be very common with guinea pigs, basically benign like bpatters said. It could be another possibility that she may have this over the rest. Yuna's very sweet and she has a "playful" personality when it comes to the other pigs. She likes to follow (but not annoy). If worst comes to worst and it effects my other girls, I may take them all. Currently 2 of my girls are being treated and nearing the end of their URI. As far as I know, even now she's eating, drinking, pooping, and acting normally. My only concern though is the fact she's very untame. This will be the first time my vet will be seeing her and I will have to tell him that she does not sit still, will jump, and or run away.

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
I should have added that while CL was tough to treat, we did get all of the piggies through it successfully.
Let us know what the vet says.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
I called and scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. Dr Ridgeway isn't usually around during the weekend. I am worried, but do you think Yuna will be ok waiting this out for one full day? The appointment is for tomorrow at 11am. I'll most likely be leaving much earlier than that to be on time. Would it be entirely life threatening to her considering this is just appearing?

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I had two pigs with cervical lymphadenitis in a row, and it presented itself as a firm lump under the neck/chin just like that. Curly's ended up opening and draining on its own before we could get her in for surgery, and then Kwee developed the same lump a few days later. But hers got pretty huge and never ruptured on its own. We had to take her in for surgery, and the vet said her lump had gotten so large that it was pressing on her lungs. I'd definitely separate and quarantine her until you can get her to the vet.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for your responses. They have not been ignored! You've given me some reassurance as well and hope that Yuna will get better. Aside from working on projects all day I've been watching her and she seems to be doing fine. At first she was biting on the bars but after awhile she stopped. 9 hours until she can finally see our vet.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Posting an update. Yuna's vet appointment went well. It was drained out but the doctor said he would get back to me in a couple days to let me know the results on what it is exactly. For the time being she was given Septra (in which I believe is a form of bactrim) to take. He also recommended that she'd continue to be separated for the time being until he knows exactly what it is. Other than that Yuna is doing fine!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm glad she is doing well! I hope it isn't serious and can be easily treated.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
I didn't want to make another post. While I am furious and yet deeply sad, Yuna passed away 1 1/2 hours ago. I haven't been on the forums lately because of work and real life dealings, but I have been taking care of her and giving her my 100% attention and care. I will make a post in the "In memory of" later as I am still hurting over my loss tonight... But, last month yuna had gone and had the cyst drained out. Despite my best efforts and following directions on the anti biotics and hot packs to keep infection down, it came back completely. On the 5th Of July I had taken her back in which the doctor drained the cyst out once again, but because it came back completely he said he would get it removed. So an appointment was scheduled for monday (which just passed)at 7:30am to bring her in. Yuna had only eaten bits of hay like she normally does and was also one of the questions along the lines of "Has she eaten anything?" I told them she's had her hay and pellets and left her off with them. Around 5pm we got a call from the doctor saying the surgery went well and he removed the cyst. He said she was given medication for pain and anti biotics. I was given instructions about cleaning and flushing the wound out as something to do at home with her. Deep down I felt that maybe she should stay over to be watched and under care of a vet. But was extremely worried about her and was told she could be brought home. Before I left I had asked for "Critical care" as something in my heart kept picking at what ive learned here on the forums. I knew Yuna had not had anything to eat all those hours and while many people here say that Dr Ridgeway is a competent GP doctor, the info the nurse told me was off. She mentioned that if yuna doesn't eat that it's perfectly normal because she's still under the effects of the medication they gave her. She went on about how if she showed no innactivity that it's still "normal". I still felt somehow that Yuna needs to eat and I wanted to feed her. On the way home she kept making noises like she was in pain and in my mind, I felt that it was normal and shes in recovery. I offered her everything, and even after we got back home she did not budge one bit. I managed to prepare her bedding and isolated her as I was told to do for a day until she recovered. About after an hour she managed to move and drag herself into her hidey (and at this point I thought she felt safe, and comfortable). I offered lettuce, pellets, hay, and even started preparing critical care as I knew by 11PM, 14 hours of no food was dangerous. When I finished everything, approaching the cage I noticed she was dragged out of her hidey, and she wasn't moving. I thought she fell asleep but after removing the hidey, I noticed she had stopped breathing. In a panic I attempted to syringe feed her but she wasn't moving or responding. I'm at a big loss right now because I feel that, vets or even normal hospitals would or should keep animals under care until they are well enough to be released. I don't know if she died from the amount of pain, the medication, or no food. I just know when I picked up the hidey I saw 2 pieces of poop (in which they were small, very small).

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. You took amazing care of her, and there was nothing you did wrong. I don't know what happened that caused her to pass away, but I wouldn't blame it on the vet, as I'm sure they also did the best they could to help your beautiful piggy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost her. But most vet clinics have no one on staff at night, and she likely got better care from you than she would have if she'd bee left at the vet's office.

If I were you, I'd go back to the vet and talk to him/her about the instructions you were given for her home care. If she wasn't eating anything, she should have been fed critical care ever 3-4 hours throughout the day and night. And the severe lethargy may have meant that she was overdosed on pain medication, but that's not a certainty. If she wasn't eating before you took her in, she may have been so debilitated that the whole process was just too much for her.

Just in case you ever have feeding issues with another pig, see https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html. It's called "force" feeding for a reason -- the pig will hate it, and you have to force them to eat -- just offering food isn't sufficient. But it can mean the difference between life and death for a sick pig, so it's a good idea to have the supplies needed for it at home with you.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Thank you.. I know I shouldn't blame the vet and don't want it to seem like I am. I think I'm just sad she's gone. This is my first loss. I do feel that maybe it was too much for her since she was still under 6 months. She was of healthy weight, but still a young girl. I'm going to be taking her back shortly since an appointment was made before they closed last night. I'll have many many questions for the doctor. In the last few hours that she was alive she would make these constant noises like she was in pain. Like a small cry and she would fling her head up in a similar way to my other girls when I pet them on the head (Meaning they don't like it and for me to stop). Thank you @bpatters for every bit of advice and knowledge you've passed on. I know you do what you can to help, correct, and educate people on the forums each day so that each cavy gets proper home care. And I want to thank everyone else for their advice even when I had my panic's. I'm going to be studying everything on that link to make sure, in the future if any one of my girls gets sick and becomes unable to eat, or gets in a situation like Yuna was that I can and will be able to save them. I will add this one thing though. I had the option of choosing to give her a stronger form of anti biotics in which Baytril was brought up. My reason for choosing to not give her baytril and going through with the surgery was because she was young. And I know in some cases Baytril can effect growth. I just feel now that maybe if I had gone with option 1, the cyst may have gone down completely with it. Her original medication was bactrim which didn't seem to work.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Baytril does have problems for young pigs, but sometimes the trade-off is worth it.

I'm glad you're going back in to talk to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.