Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Anyone with 3 pigs have a nice weekly food chart?

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
Im reallly wanting to looking over someone that has 3-4 pigs and they make a weekly food chart. Want to get an idea on how much to give etc... If anyone can post theirs id appreciate it :crazy:

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
Guinea lynx has a food chart with a list of the vehgies/fruits they can have, along with how often. Each piggy should get 1/8 of pellets (either oxbow, or KMS), 1 cup of veggies a day, and unlimited long strand hay (the most common type is Timothy hay).

Most people don't change the veggies they feed everyday, personally I stick to Green leaf lettuce, baby bell peppers, and cucumber. The piggys also get broccoli, a small piece of tomato, or some other veggie if we have them around.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
Guinea lynx has a food chart with a list of the vehgies/fruits they can have, along with how often. Each piggy should get 1/8 of pellets (either oxbow, or KMS), 1 cup of veggies a day, and unlimited long strand hay (the most common type is Timothy hay).

Most people don't change the veggies they feed everyday, personally I stick to Green leaf lettuce, baby bell peppers, and cucumber. The piggys also get broccoli, a small piece of tomato, or some other veggie if we have them around.

Thats about what i do right now.

pinky

Cavy Slave
As far as vegetables, I feed red and green romaine, red and green leaf lettuce, radicchio, bell pepper, an occasional baby carrot, tomatoes, corn husks when corn is in season, cilantro. I try and steer clear of high calcium and gassy vegetables.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
As far as vegetables, I feed red and green romaine, red and green leaf lettuce, radicchio, bell pepper, an occasional baby carrot, tomatoes, corn husks when corn is in season, cilantro. I try and steer clear of high calcium and gassy vegetables.

i maybe a bad pig owner. But i always gave each of my pigs 1 carrot a day. The regular ones, not the babies. after re reading that chart i may not do that anymore... might just be sticking with romaine and cucumbers. And the occasional veggies leftover from dinner. I also did to many apples! Cut back on that also. 1 of my pig hates bell peppers, ill have to see how my 2 new ones like them. I may also have been giving them a tad to much pellets. Ill have to manually measure it out next time for visual.

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
i maybe a bad pig owner. But i always gave each of my pigs 1 carrot a day. The regular ones, not the babies. after re reading that chart i may not do that anymore... might just be sticking with romaine and cucumbers. And the occasional veggies leftover from dinner. I also did to many apples! Cut back on that also. 1 of my pig hates bell peppers, ill have to see how my 2 new ones like them. I may also have been giving them a tad to much pellets. Ill have to manually measure it out next time for visual.
One whole carrot a day, per pig, is way too much. Definitely cut back to one baby carrot per pig.

If your pigs won't eat bell peppers, chop a piece of pepper up into tiny pieces and mix it in with their pellets. That's how I got Callie to start liking them. Bell peppers are a good source of vitamin C, so they should be given daily.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
One whole carrot a day, per pig, is way too much. Definitely cut back to one baby carrot per pig.

If your pigs won't eat bell peppers, chop a piece of pepper up into tiny pieces and mix it in with their pellets. That's how I got Callie to start liking them. Bell peppers are a good source of vitamin C, so they should be given daily.

Good to know. I would never have guessed pigs cant eat to much carrots! Ill have to print that food chart out and have it on hand ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.