Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General New to Guinea Pigs

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
Thanks to all the people who came up with name but I really like a theme with the first letter. I just really like tha name Owen and Oliver for a while and thought might as well name a piggy that. But for girl maybe something more along the lines of Pip, Penelope (Penny) and I'll think of another name if I end up with 3

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the name ideas, I really like a theme as far as the same letters. So it's not just Os, but really like the name Pip for a girl, so if you have any suggestions

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
I feel pretty confident that I can convince her to let me at least keep them over the weekend. But if I do manage to keep them for a little bit after the babies are born, or maybe I'll just let them borrow my cage. It's roughly the same size as the one that they keep their piggies in but I use my as a carrier for rabbits. I figured it could work for one male until they put them back together. If we put the cages up next to each other so that they can still see and talk to each other, will that stop them from getting upset.

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
IMG_0117.jpgIMG_0115.jpgIMG_0116.jpgIMG_0119.jpgIMG_0118.jpg
I've uploaded some pictures that I took yesterday of the pair. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify how far along the mother is. She is really bunched up in these pigtures because the she was a little scared that she was out of her cage. BTW, she the tri colored brown white and black one.

Also my friend said that she was looking into another cage for the male. I hope to influence her somehow to get larger cages for the both of them.

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
Thanks a lot :)

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
What does kicking babies feel like, because I was gently resting my hand on her belly and felt movement inside, but it felt very rhythmic, then I noticed that it really seemed to happen when she was sniffing something. Is it kind of irregular kicks that happen every once and awhile?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Definitely irregular. If it's regular, it's either her digestive moving, or being moved by her breathing/eating/etc.

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
Alright, I'll try and and look for that, thanks for your help!:)

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
Another quick question. So after redesigning the cage plans a million times I have found on that I think the cavies will love. It'll be 40" by 55" with a loft that is 40" by 20". It'll all be made out of wood with a water-based paint covering it. Waterproofed with a shower curtain+the liners will have waterproof liners. Up in the loft I would like to make a picket fence kind of thing so that the pigs can look over the cage. How high does the picket fence need to be as well as how close do the pickets need to be. Keep in mind this is just to keep them from falling off instead of keeping them in.

I also plan on not adding the ramps to the loft until I feel the babies are too big to stick their head through the pickets, so this is just for an adult Guinea pig.

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
Also, if I make the wall 10" tall how long would the Ramos need to be or at what angle?

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Maybe I could convince them to let me keep them for a bit at my house (I'd say that the mom probably want peace and quiet before she delivers that babes) I'd separate them, feed the mom alfalfa and the dad a different type of hay and take them both out of that dreadful cage.

I'd say that's a good idea, a lot of the time people get defensive when you explain that they're hurting their animals, so it works better to approach it from a "helpful" angle, like, "If you separated them you wouldn't have to deal with another pregnancy!" or "They're so much fun to watch run around in a bigger cage!"

If there is a litter of 1 male and/or 1 female, you could also try asking if you could adopt one of the parents, rather than getting one from a shelter (like if there's a female pup, you could ask to adopt the mom and the female, or a male pup and the dad). That could be a way to convince your friend to separate her pigs, but depending on how attached she is to them specifically it might not work.

The fact that they're alone so much of the time could also be a reason you give to keep them at your house awhile, the mother at least. You don't want a delivery happening at the school.

Sorry I don't have much to say about the cage construction, my cage is a pretty basic C&C cage, just now saw your earlier post and thought I'd give my two cents.

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
I'd say that's a good idea, a lot of the time people get defensive when you explain that they're hurting their animals, so it works better to approach it from a "helpful" angle, like, "If you separated them you wouldn't have to deal with another pregnancy!" or "They're so much fun to watch run around in a bigger cage!"

If there is a litter of 1 male and/or 1 female, you could also try asking if you could adopt one of the parents, rather than getting one from a shelter (like if there's a female pup, you could ask to adopt the mom and the female, or a male pup and the dad). That could be a way to convince your friend to separate her pigs, but depending on how attached she is to them specifically it might not work.

The fact that they're alone so much of the time could also be a reason you give to keep them at your house awhile, the mother at least. You don't want a delivery happening at the school.

Sorry I don't have much to say about the cage construction, my cage is a pretty basic C&C cage, just now saw your earlier post and thought I'd give my two cents.

Thanks for for your reply. She actually got the dad his own cage, it's not the correct size as well be he was running laps and popcorning in it. I relived how magical popcorning really is. She hasn't hit the 6 week milestone left so their still a bit to go. I'll request to bring her home when the due date draws closer.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Thanks for for your reply. She actually got the dad his own cage, it's not the correct size as well be he was running laps and popcorning in it. I relived how magical popcorning really is. She hasn't hit the 6 week milestone left so their still a bit to go. I'll request to bring her home when the due date draws closer.

I'm glad to hear it. It sounds like you're doing a great job, and will eventually be a great piggy parent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
I'm glad to hear it. It sounds like you're doing a great job, and will eventually be a great piggy parent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! That means a lot. I've been worrying about every little detail. I just really hope that the babies come alright because the mom is 2 1/2 years old. We don't really know about her past though, so maybe it's not her first litter.

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
Can anybody help me with the cage questions or should I just post the question on a different thread under the cage.

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
Also, does any have any good suggestions on where to buy coroplast online. FYI my mom only buys from stores that she trusts. Amazon, Home Depot, ect. I'm looking into lining my cage with coroplast and everywhere that I look it's $20 for something that is the 1/3rd of the size that I need.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no good place to buy it online, because shipping is so expensive because of the size.

Look at the store locator for Sabic Polymershapes -- they've got reasonable prices on it. See (broken link removed).

If they don't have a branch close to you, check with sign stores, like FastSigns and others. If you tell them it's for a guinea pig cage, they may sell it cheaper. Or, you can ask if they have any misprints -- you could use the good side.

guineapigpalace

Cavy Slave
There's no good place to buy it online, because shipping is so expensive because of the size.

Look at the store locator for Sabic Polymershapes -- they've got reasonable prices on it. See (broken link removed).

If they don't have a branch close to you, check with sign stores, like FastSigns and others. If you tell them it's for a guinea pig cage, they may sell it cheaper. Or, you can ask if they have any misprints -- you could use the good side.

Thanks! Amazon seemed affordable until I saw that the shipping was more then the cost of the product. I'll look into it. The kids that I babysit dad makes signs so maybe he'll give me some but I didn't want to bother him without looking first.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.