Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool Cooling Pads for Guinea Pigs?

Brittany Burdo

Cavy Slave
I remember owning a chinchilla, and how it was completely necessary to own a cooling pad for them. I live in a desert, and it can get pretty hot indoors, even with the air conditioning on. So, to be brief as possible, is it smart to get a cooling pad for a guinea pig? Maybe I just don't fully understand their importance in chinchilla care compared to guinea pig care, but I was just wondering.

If it's not smart to use one, then what is the healthiest way to keep your guinea pig cool during the summer? I'm sure fans aren't healthy, and my parents think it's pointless too, so I need an alternative. Thanks in advance!

Pipandpoppy

Cavy Slave
Sine people put ice packs I top of the pigloo and that works a treat

Pipandpoppy

Cavy Slave
**some** sorry

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I don't get why fans aren't healthy. You just don't want it to be a hurricane in their cage otherwise everyone uses fans.
I get these penguin icy cool lunch box ice mats. I put a fleece over it so she doesn't chew it. She sometimes puts just her head on the end of it, her back end, or she'll just lay on it. Good stuff and it's flatter than the traditional ice packs.

(broken link removed)

Brittany Burdo

Cavy Slave
I don't get why fans aren't healthy. You just don't want it to be a hurricane in their cage otherwise everyone uses fans.
I get these penguin icy cool lunch box ice mats. I put a fleece over it so she doesn't chew it. She sometimes puts just her head on the end of it, her back end, or she'll just lay on it. Good stuff and it's flatter than the traditional ice packs.

(broken link removed)

That definitely looks like something my guinea pig would end up chewing through... I don't really trust something like that. What's wrong with cooling pads, anyway? Maybe some people misunderstood me. By cooling pad, I meant something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Chinchilla-Chiller-Granite-Stone/dp/B000A7707O

Brittany Burdo

Cavy Slave

Brittany Burdo

Cavy Slave
**some** sorry
Why some...? Are some of them dangerous?

*EDITED* Oh, whoops. I didn't realize that you were correcting your own post. I thought you were talking about some cooling pads being safe.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That definitely looks like something my guinea pig would end up chewing through... I don't really trust something like that. What's wrong with cooling pads, anyway? Maybe some people misunderstood me. By cooling pad, I meant something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Chinchilla-Chiller-Granite-Stone/dp/B000A7707O

Mine would chew it too, which is why there is a larger fleece over it. It's got purified water in it in case it leaks. What you're looking at says it keeps the area a little cooler than the surroundings. It's not going to be like an ice mat. Every 3-4 hours I change out the ice mat and I don't live in the desert. I think you need to use ice mat, ice something, for living in the desert and your home being warm even with the a/c on.

Brittany Burdo

Cavy Slave
Mine would chew it too, which is why there is a larger fleece over it. It's got purified water in it in case it leaks. What you're looking at says it keeps the area a little cooler than the surroundings. It's not going to be like an ice mat. Every 3-4 hours I change out the ice mat and I don't live in the desert. I think you need to use ice mat, ice something, for living in the desert and your home being warm even with the a/c on.

That link I used was like, one of the first things that came up when I searched for it, and I didn't really read the description. But an ice-pack does actually seem a lot smarter, now that I think about it... a lot smarter than just a rock. I think I'll start using one when the fans in my room stop being as useful... thank you!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I use a combination of both ice packs and fans. Just make sure the fan isn't directly on them. You pretty much just want it to circulate the air around the cage. Those ice mats are also qn excellent idea and I will be trying it soon to. The bonus is it has purified water in it so its not harmful if they damage it. Also for the ice packs you want to cover them with fleece or a towel. You don't want them to touch the ice pack itself.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
If you don't have one already get a clip on thermometer for the outside of their cage, that way you can monitor what temperature it is around the cage.

Pipandpoppy

Cavy Slave
Why some...? Are some of them dangerous?

*EDITED* Oh, whoops. I didn't realize that you were correcting your own post. I thought you were talking about some cooling pads being safe.

No the ice packs just keep the pigloo a nice temperature

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.