Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Adopting

elewis618

Cavy Slave
So I currently have 4 Guinea pigs. 2 males in one c&c and 2 females in a c&c. A lady reached out to me yesterday about adopting her 2 females. I know I have the room and ability to care for 2 more, so there's no issue there.

Well last night she messaged me and said one of the girls seemed to have something wrong with her eye. It was a little crusty but she seemed fine otherwise and she thought it was just an accidental cut from hay, nails, something along those lines. She said her breathing was fine, still eating, walking fine, and no runny nose. It's only the one eye that's affected. I insisted she take her to the vet to see what was going on.

She took her to the vet today and the vet put her on antibiotics for a week and she's scheduled to have the eye removed next week! Seems a little strange to me. They didn't identify any underlying causes.

Does anyone have experience with having eyes removed? What kind of care will she need? I'm now concerned about taking these Guinea pigs from her. Is there any reason to believe they have something more going on that she isn't telling me? Advice, please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elewis618

Cavy Slave
Has ANYONE had experience with this or know someone who has?

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Carislittlepiggies on Instagram recently had her guinea pig's eye removed, you can private message her on Instagram. She said she had a really bad infection which could be deadly if not removed. I would message her and ask her about the details a bit more and tell her your case. Their vet is exotic right?

elewis618

Cavy Slave
Carislittlepiggies on Instagram recently had her guinea pig's eye removed, you can private message her on Instagram. She said she had a really bad infection which could be deadly if not removed. I would message her and ask her about the details a bit more and tell her your case. Their vet is exotic right?

Thank you so much! I follow carislittlepiggies on YouTube but haven't watched in a while so I wouldn't have thought to ask her!

Yes, their vet is exotic and they seem like very knowledgeable people (wanted to make sure I knew about quarantine, what housing and bedding I use, etc). They are apparently allergic and didn't know until they adopted them [emoji853]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.