Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay 3rd Cut Timothy Hay From KMS

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So those who have ordered recently, how is this cutting looking?

Artista

Cavy Slave
I have blue grass from KMS and it is amazing. For some weird reason my gp never liked orchard grass.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I have blue grass from KMS and it is amazing. For some weird reason my gp never liked orchard grass.

My pigs are loving it. Money has been tight lately so they were getting fed timothy hay from TSC. This new hay is so much better and very fresh/green. Hope someone else answers to help you out! :)

Levenn

Cavy Slave
I checked out kms.... whats with the 45 3rd Timothy mean.... was the 45 mean how many lbs it is?

Artista

Cavy Slave
I checked out kms.... whats with the 45 3rd Timothy mean.... was the 45 mean how many lbs it is?

45 is 45 lbs. For shipping, always choose UPS not Usps.

Levenn

Cavy Slave
Ive been getting my 3rd cut from small pet select. The quality is amazing, super green, leafy..... I am wondering how the quality of KMS 3rd cut is...since 45 lbs of there 3rd cut costs less than the amount for small pet select's 10 pounds (35 bucks).

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I recently ordered some for the rescue i volunteer at, and I must say it was very nice.
They let me take some home today since I ran out of hay early and my SPS hay isn't going to be here until Thursday- there's some brown in it, but my pigs (and the rescue buns) are really loving it.
I'll take a picture of it and post it in a minute. :)

Artista

Cavy Slave
I think there is always brown no matter where you get the hay. I want long leaves and not so many debris/crushed hay and minimal brown.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I'd say the leaves are fairly long and out of the stuff they gave me there is little crushed/dusty hay.

Here's a picture of some of it that they gave me:
3rd Cut Timothy Hay From KMS

Levenn

Cavy Slave
Here is a picture of the 3rd cut I get from Small Pet Select. Little to no dust, 99.9% leaf, a few stems sneak there way in. Super green and smells great. My guinea pigs are absolutely addicted to it. I feel like if I buy them anything else now I'll just make them angry LOL

Artista

Cavy Slave
Here is a picture of the 3rd cut I get from Small Pet Select. Little to no dust, 99.9% leaf, a few stems sneak there way in. Super green and smells great. My guinea pigs are absolutely addicted to it. I feel like if I buy them anything else now I'll just make them angry LOL

Looks nice but even with "free shipping", it's more expensive than KMS.

Matchamom

Cavy Slave
I also ordered 3rd cut from Small Pet Select. Looks exactly like Levenn posted. I did a price match, the more you order, the less it costs at SPS. I did look at KMS, but it wasn't as much of a difference and I had already set up a customer account with SPS. So, it's really a toss up. I think shipping differences for me, might figure into why it would cost about the same.

My question is @Levenn do you see any difference in the piggies poos with the really fresh hay? I have a set of girls and a set of boys. The boys I haven't noticed any difference at all. But, with my girls their poo is softer and I had to add some oats hay to their diet to firm it up. It might also be that way because one of the girls is pregnant (came to us in the condition she is in). Anyway, when I gave the oats hay the poos in the girls cage went back to normal. So, I just think they need more fiber. I might just go back to the 2nd cut even though there are stems that the guineas don't eat - I know they love the seed heads and the 3rd cut doesn't have that.

Levenn

Cavy Slave
My piggies poos are fine. They eat a ton of the 3rd cut...twice as fast as the 2nd cut

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Mine are loving the third cut timothy from KMS. I like it too--it doesn't set off my allergies hardly at all.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
I just got my 3rd cut timothy hay from KMS today and it's awesome! Nice and green, really soft, barely any brown. :) Now if my Picky Princess will actually eat it is another story haha, though I just put some in there and she seems to be eating it. (fingers crossed!)

In my hunt for a hay she would eat I got some orchard grass hay, she would literally spit it out and turn her nose up then walk away. :O LOL So I'm hoping my new piggie will eat the orchard grass, and seems to be so yay finally a happy hay day for me and all piggies! :p

Matchamom

Cavy Slave
@Levenn I'm pretty sure it's my pregnant one. Maybe she just needs more fiber right now? Thanks for the input.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
Right now I'm feeding my girls a mixture of KMS 3rd cut Timothy and Standlee orchard grass hay. They seem to enjoy it.

Levenn

Cavy Slave

Matchamom

Cavy Slave
I don't know, but her head is always in the bag and it's always filled with hay. She drinks a lot too - but that's normal from what I've read.
Last week I added oats hay and the poos firmed up like normal. Before I got the 3rd cut, her poo was normal. My hubby says the greener the hay, the richer it is and that could be the problem. She's fine in all other aspects.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.