Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General If one pig needs to go to the vet, should you bring its cage mate(s)?

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
I have 3 pigs living together right now. 2 are sister and then 1 other female that I added in 3 months ago. 1 of the sisters started coughing, so I'm going to call the vet in the morning to see when I can get her checked out.

Can/should I bring her by herself, or should I bring her sister, and/or the 3rd one too? Don't know if she'll get stressed if she's by herself, but I also don't want to stress out the other 2 that don't seem sick. Or should I bring the other 2 with since they've been in contact w/ the possibly sick one? I have a carrier big enough to carry all 3 comfortably if need be.

I've only taken them to the vet when I first got them for a check up so this is all new to me. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It really depends on the pigs. The first two I had were littermates, and I always took them both so the sick one would have moral support.

The last two I've had couldn't stand each other, so I only ever took one at the time.

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
It really depends on the pigs. The first two I had were littermates, and I always took them both so the sick one would have moral support.

The last two I've had couldn't stand each other, so I only ever took one at the time.

I feel like separating the sisters wouldn't be a huge problem, I'm slightly concerned for the 3rd pig though. The possibly sick pig is the dominant one and the newest addition is definitely the underdog. I don't want to have to go through introductions again if they are away too long.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A trip to the vet won't necessitate reintroductions. A few days away would.

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
Okay, thank you both! I appreciate the input!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.