Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Stones Guinea Pig 6 years old - Bladder Stone - not sure what to do

geegee

Cavy Gazer
I've had my guinea pig (geegee) for over 6 years now and I just found out today that she has a big bladder stone & UTI after taking her to the vet. She has not been eating or drinking much the last two days. There is also blood in her urinal. She is currently 1.3 lbs, doctor says that she should be closer to 1.8lbs. She has lost a lot of weight :(

She is now on antibotics (baytril enrofloxacin) to treat the UTI and I am syringe feeding her every 3-4 hours with Gerber's baby food (pure carrot, pure sweet potato, apple). I also ordered Oxbow Animal health critical care to feed her.

I am not exactly sure if surgery is a good option to remove the bladder stone given her old age (i've attached an image of the bladder stone). Should I provide her painkillers and keep syringe feeding her? Please offer any suggestions :(

Attachments

166655088_210798327507332_9091499690269103041_n.jpg IMG_1465.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so sorry you're in this position.

She is a senior pig, and yes surgery is risky. Surgery is ALWAYS risky, but more so at an advanced age. That said, we have had elderly pigs here before have this surgery be successful. I do need to warn you however, it must be done ASAP. If that stone lodges in her urethra, it will become a painful medical emergency and if it isn't treated immediately she won't survive it.

The other option, sadly, is to humanely let her go. I do not make that statement lightly. I know how painful it is, and a lot of us here know that all too well.

If you can't risk the surgery, the kindest thing you can do is let her go.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I can sympathize with you as I am dealing with a similar situation right now with an elderly female who also has Cushing's disease.

I would advise getting a kitchen scale. They are inexpensive, and worth every penny for monitoring your pigs health based on weight gain and loss. It's very useful during an illness to make sure they are eating enough.

Make sure you have a probiotic (Bene-bac in the dial-a-dose syringe works great) to give her while she's on the antibiotic. This will help with stomach issues.

Great job ordering the critical care! She will need this if she's not eating. Also syringe Unflavored Pedialyte or water because if she's not eating, she probably isn't drinking either.

My girl has had bladder stones 3 times now in the last 2 months. The Cushing's makes her prone to them and apparently that's the phase of the disease she is now in. The first stone was the size of a peanut segment and the vet was able to remove it because she had almost miraculously passed it completely. So far they have been able to flush smaller stones out, but I'm not so sure she will be able to pass or they will be able to flush the current ones that developed. It may be time to let her go. She has lost a lot of weight...from over a 1000g three months ago to barely over 600g now. It's so hard to watch her like this. She is on an antibiotic for the UTI and two pain meds (Gabapentin and meloxicam).

They are definitely painful, so yes keep her on the pain medicine.

As far as the surgery, I agree with [MENTION=3221]GuineaPig[/MENTION]Papa.

I wish you and your guinea pig well. Keep us updated.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she's in good health otherwise, she should be able to withstand the surgery ok. It's not too bad, as surgeries go.

But please don't syringe her baby food. It's got way too much natural sugar in it. You can soak pellets and make a slurry -- that'll have the fiber she needs to keep her gut moving.

I'm not actually concerned about that stone blocking the urethra. I think it's too big for that, but you could always check with the vet to be sure. It may be that if you can get the UTI cleared up and her pain relieved, she'll feel much better.

geegee

Cavy Gazer
I joined yesterday and quickly learned that this community is nothing short of amazing. Thank you for all the guidance, help, kind words and support. Unfortunately, geegee passed away at 9:30pm today. She took her very last breath with us. I am externally grateful for all of the joy and fun that she has brought into my life. Rest in Peace geegee 4.3.21

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so, so sorry. I had a feeling that it had progressed more than I hoped when you said she'd lost a lot of weight.

Rest in peace at the Rainbow Bridge, Geegee.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry you lost her.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I am so very sorry for your loss. Rest in peace dear Geegee.

Welcome to the forum. I wish it was under happier circumstances, but I hope you find comfort amongst friends here on the forum. Take care.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry, take care of yourself

Geegee, fly free over the rainbow bridge...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.