Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Trying to sex my new babies

ambermartin05

Cavy Gazer
Hi All,
So i have 2 baby piggies on my hands and ive been trying to sex them so i know whether or not to neuter them. Ive been raking through google and cant seem to come to a definitive conclusion. so im coming to the experts!
help me determine male or female on these kids! ( gentials on both are identical, just one wasnt having it tonight!) They're 4 weeks old and im worried about needing to separate them from momma. they look like boys to me, but so many online pictures have me guessing and re guessing myself

20160411_221801.jpg20160411_222251.jpg

Fay

Cavy Slave
The first looks male, the second might be male but it's too hard to tell since the pictures are taken from too far away and it's kind of fussy so don't take my word for it. Try pushing lightly above the genitals to see if you can feel a ridge and you might be able to pop out the penis that way. It's the best way to confirm whether they're male. Check the link bpatters posted for comparison, here's another page with even more examples/information: (broken link removed)

Soecara

Cavy Slave
They both look like males.

Keep in mind that typically several neutered boars with one sow generally does not work out, even though they are altered they will still fight over the female. In your position I would go ahead and neuter dad, then 4 weeks after the surgery introduce dad back to mum and keep them as a pair, and just house the two baby boys as a separate pair. Also you really need to separate them now, male pups become fertile from the 3 and a half to 4 weeks of age, it would be fine to put both pups in with dad for now.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
They both look like boys to me too, and ditto everyone else. They need to be separated now, or mom might get pregnant again.

I also agree with @Soecara, if you neuter all the boys they most likely won't get along all together with one female. If you neuter your boy, I would go with the suggestion above, but if you don't end up going through with the neuter I have another idea. You can make a bigger cage and have all three males in it, and in a separate cage get another GIRL buddy for the mom. I will warn you though, it can be harder for three boys to get along together, but plenty of people have done it so it's not impossible.

Good luck with your pigs!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
FYI, the best pictures available are at (broken link removed).

kimclifford10

Cavy Slave
Both look like males to me too. The link that bpatters posted is very helpful!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.