Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems What is wrong with my baby pig?

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I adopted a mother and daughter, judy and liza about 3 weeks ago. They are divided from my boars with a few grids, and have been for a week. Today I just noticed the Liza's face right above her nose looked funny when I was about to do floor time. The fur is gone and it looks very rough and cracked, and like it may have bled at some point. Mom looks fine. I've never seen anything like this and I'm very worried. Should I try to clean it? Leave it alone? Is it contagious?? Help! This is the best photo I could get!

Attachments

IMG_20150128_162309.jpg

4cavies

Cavy Slave
To me it looks like mites or fungus. I'm thinking fungus since it's localized to her face. You can use Monistat 7 on fungal infections to clear them up.

Would something for athletes foot work? I was thinking mites but I haven't seen her scratching, nor any of my other piggies. I did notice her rubbing the spot with the sides of her paws last night. But it wasn't enough to make me worry. How often should I put the antifungal on? Should I clean the area first? If it doesn't clear up in so many days, should I take her to the vet? Should I watch my other pigs for signs of it?

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
If it doesn't clear up in a few days, yes, you should take her to the vet. It looks like it could be mites or a fungal, but it is possible that she scratched her nose on something several times, though that isn't very likely.
I'm not sure how much antifungal you should use. If it is indeed a fungal, watch your others very closely! Also, inspect the cage to make sure that there isn't anything sharp, and keep a close eye on her.

Hope she gets better soon.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I don't know if athlete's foot cream will work. I'd get some Monistat just to be sure. When my pig had fungus, I applied the Monistat twice a day. I didn't measure out how much I used, but I made sure that it was spread over the entire area and was entirely rubbed in (use a Q-tip or gloves). Cleaning the area couldn't hurt, but fungus is contagious to people so make sure not to touch it. It was probably about three days before my boy's skin started looking better, but it took about three weeks before the hair grew all the way back in.

I talked with my vet and they told me I can try clotrimazole. And if it doesn't go away to bring her in. Thanks everyone!

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Okay, so I tried the clotrimazole on liza, but I'm worried that it caused her some pain. Since some of the skin is broken should I try to get it to heal up before applying more?

SarahRose

Cavy Slave
I adopted a mother and daughter, judy and liza about 3 weeks ago. They are divided from my boars with a few grids, and have been for a week. Today I just noticed the Liza's face right above her nose looked funny when I was about to do floor time. The fur is gone and it looks very rough and cracked, and like it may have bled at some point. Mom looks fine. I've never seen anything like this and I'm very worried. Should I try to clean it? Leave it alone? Is it contagious?? Help! This is the best photo I could get!

Looks like a fungal infection. I just got a new Guinea Pig too the other day and she has the same thing. I was thinking geting some Clotrimazol cream and try using that. My girl's is only her face, under her right eye and a little In her ear. We'll have to keep eachother informed of how it goes. My older Guinea Pig shows no signs of anything. No scratching, or hair loss. We'll hope for the best for both of us! Good luck!

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Looks like a fungal infection. I just got a new Guinea Pig too the other day and she has the same thing. I was thinking geting some Clotrimazol cream and try using that. My girl's is only her face, under her right eye and a little In her ear. We'll have to keep eachother informed of how it goes. My older Guinea Pig shows no signs of anything. No scratching, or hair loss. We'll hope for the best for both of us! Good luck!

Oh, its horrible. Liza only has it on her face, from about her nose to between her eyes. I'm so neurotic about my pigs that I had convinced myself she was at deaths door. Definitely keep me informed on how it goes for you, liza just had her first application a few hours ago of clatrimazole.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Not sure. When Fuery had fungus, there was no breaking of the skin. I imagine it was from scratching, though, and that'll keep going as long as the fungus is there since the fungus is likely itchy.

That's what I was thinking. I just felt so bad when she started squirming and I got all teary eyed; telling her it was for her own good. My husband thinks I'm totally whacko.

SarahRose

Cavy Slave
Oh, its horrible. Liza only has it on her face, from about her nose to between her eyes. I'm so neurotic about my pigs that I had convinced myself she was at deaths door. Definitely keep me informed on how it goes for you, liza just had her first application a few hours ago of clatrimazole.
I'll definately keep you informed. I just put Gracy Mae's first application on about two hours ago of the same stuff. I found another place she had it which was right under her ear. That was the easiest place to put it on. So far my older pig is showing no signs whatsoever of the infection so that's a good sign.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I'll definately keep you informed. I just put Gracy Mae's first application on about two hours ago of the same stuff. I found another place she had it which was right under her ear. That was the easiest place to put it on. So far my older pig is showing no signs whatsoever of the infection so that's a good sign.

Same here. The baby's mom has no signs of it. Liza's is still in the same spot, but does look different from yesterday, more like the photos I have seen. No idea if that's good lol how often are you putting it on? I put some on her last night, none yet today.

SarahRose

Cavy Slave
Same here. The baby's mom has no signs of it. Liza's is still in the same spot, but does look different from yesterday, more like the photos I have seen. No idea if that's good lol how often are you putting it on? I put some on her last night, none yet today.
The Guinea Lynx website said twice a day. So I was going to do one more before I went to bed. So in 2 hours. (It's 7 here)

4cavies

Cavy Slave
The Guinea Lynx website said twice a day. So I was going to do one more before I went to bed. So in 2 hours. (It's 7 here)

Ooh.. I should do it more. What do you think of one today, then one tomorrow morning, then one in the evening? Or do you think I should try to squeeze two in today? Its 4 where I am.I asked my husband and he told me he's a pharmacist, not a pig doctor lol

SarahRose

Cavy Slave
Ooh.. I should do it more. What do you think of one today, then one tomorrow morning, then one in the evening? Or do you think I should try to squeeze two in today? Its 4 where I am.I asked my husband and he told me he's a pharmacist, not a pig doctor lol
I think the one today and then the two tomorrow would work fine. But I'm no doctor. I hope both your guinea pig and mine heal fast though

SarahRose

Cavy Slave
How did you get the cream on without her refusing and then taking it off? She won't let me get it on ber face

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you're applying fungal medication, you should put on just a dab, with a q-tip, and rub it in well. You don't want the pig to ingest it, or to get it in its eyes. Do this twice a day for several days. If it improves, then continue treatment for several days after it looks like it has cleared up, because fungus is persistent.

If you don't see any improvement in a week, discontinue the fungal medicine and switch to a triple antibiotic cream. Rub it in VERY well, because eating it can upset the digestive tract. Same method of administration, same frequency.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
How did you get the cream on without her refusing and then taking it off? She won't let me get it on ber face

I have to get someone to help! I wrap her in a bit of fleece, and seeing as she's more comfortable with me holding her, I do so and feed her some veg to distract her. Last night my brother stopped over so he was enlisted lol we dabbed it on with a cotton ball, then rubbed it in with a gloved finger. I tried to hold her head still so as not to get it in her eyes. Last night it went a lot more smoothly with two sets of hands and some veg, but she still tried to wriggle and buck away. How old is your pigie again?

SarahRose

Cavy Slave
I have to get someone to help! I wrap her in a bit of fleece, and seeing as she's more comfortable with me holding her, I do so and feed her some veg to distract her. Last night my brother stopped over so he was enlisted lol we dabbed it on with a cotton ball, then rubbed it in with a gloved finger. I tried to hold her head still so as not to get it in her eyes. Last night it went a lot more smoothly with two sets of hands and some veg, but she still tried to wriggle and buck away. How old is your pigie again?
One is 4 months and the other is 9 months

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I don't believe you should put this medication on broken skin (if there are actual open sores).

If she still has sores, she might need oral fungal medication instead. You might want to check with a vet.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Today is day three of Liza's antifungal treatment and she is looking a lot better! The redness has decreased by half, and the other area looks like perfect baby pig skin!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Please also be careful. Make sure you wash your hands before and after handling her so as not to spread the fungus to yourself or the other pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.