Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Some URI concerns

wheektorious

Cavy Gazer
Hello there.

I have two piggies. One is... Not exactly sure how old he is, got him when he was already an adult. probably 3-4? The other is 2 years old, a very chubby gentleman, who unfortunately just fell victim to URI. I tarted treatment with baytril right away, it somehow already seems to have helped him a tad, which is amazing. I wanted to ask if it is necessary to give a probiotic a well. The vet didnt mention anything about doing that, but I do know that in many cases it is necessary to replenish the good bacteria in their stomach, and even help them defecate. Had to do a baytril+ultra levure treatment for my late rabbit. I also wanted to ask, is an URI contagious to adult humans? I was administering the medication and my piggy sneezed. It's 100% certain I ended up inhaling some of the droplets. Should I be worried? I am 23 years old, on the overweight scale and have chronic allergic rhinitis, and have to use nasal decongestants and corticosteroids in inhaler form rather often to maintain it. Does that make me more prone and vulnerable to catching a URI from my pig? I am just worried that if I do catch it, I wont be able to tell the difference from the symptoms I already have with my pre-existing conditions, and it will evolve into pneumonia.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The URI your pig has may or not be contagious. If it's viral, probably not. If it's bacterial, maybe. And I don't really know whether your allergic condition would make you more susceptible to catching a URI -- that's a question for your doctor.

Probiotics are definitely helpful with pigs. Baytril almost always causes loss of appetite, and failure to eat can move a sick pig from just being sick to critically ill. I'd get some Bene-Bac for small critters and give a dose 60-90 minutes after every antibiotic administration.

wheektorious

Cavy Gazer
The URI your pig has may or not be contagious. If it's viral, probably not. If it's bacterial, maybe. And I don't really know whether your allergic condition would make you more susceptible to catching a URI -- that's a question for your doctor.

Probiotics are definitely helpful with pigs. Baytril almost always causes loss of appetite, and failure to eat can move a sick pig from just being sick to critically ill. I'd get some Bene-Bac for small critters and give a dose 60-90 minutes after every antibiotic administration.

Thank you for the reply.
However, I am saddened to announce that my pig,alex, passed away this morning somewhere between 7:30am and 12:30pm, which was the time i was supposed to give him his antibiotic. I went to do so, and he was gone. I feel incredibly guilty and just awful. He was only 2 years old, and I've had him since he was a tiny baby. I hope he didnt die a painful death. Though I know its unlikely, because he couldnt breathe.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. Sometimes, a URI can take them so fast and nothing you do can save them. Its heartbreaking, especially when he was so young.

Rest in peace, Alex.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so very sorry you lost him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.