Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Where to find wood pellets?

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
I found wood pellets at a local hardware store and https://www.woodpelletreview.org/2009/10/towards-end-of-last-year-i-was.html (these) at Home Depot, but both of them are made of pine. I also tried Lowes and they didn't have any in stock. Is there any place online to buy them?
On a side note, I'm going to email the company that Home Depot supplies to see if by chance they are kiln dried. It sucks that companies don't give you much info online about wood pellets...

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pellets are not kiln dried. The extrusion process that forms the pellets dries them, and they don't go through a kiln. Whether or not they smell of pine has to do with how much pine is in them, as they're made from scraps of all sorts of woods.

You can find them online, but the shipping will cost way more than the pellets.

Have someone at the store stick a hole in the bag and see what they smell like. If they smell strongly of pine, don't buy them. If they don't, do. Or try a farm feed and seed store for horse stall pellets.

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Oh wow. I thought the kiln dried thing was something to look for as well. No pellets are kiln dried? I almost purchased Cozy N Fresh pellets and the bag specifically touted kiln-dried. @allisonj30, I think shipping may be cost-prohibitive since the bags are rather heavy unless you can get it shipped to the store for pick-up.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
Well... I contacted numerous companies about their wood pellets and all of them around here are 100% pine. That's too bad.
We don't have any feed stores in my town, but I will have to look for horse stall pellets next time I travel out of town. I guess I will be sticking with my stinky uhaul pads for now :p

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
Woo hoo! I traveled 40 minutes yesterday to the nearest Tractor Supply Store and got two different products to try out. One is horse stall pellets (which I would get more for my money so I hope they work!) and the other product is a pelletized small animal bedding. Both are made of pine but I contacted the companies and they are kiln dried. Now I'll just have a trial period of each one and then stock up on whichever is best :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.