Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Needing to Rehome Pigs;

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
This person obviously wanted attention from us. Otherwise why post here at all that she intended to find homes for them?

A waste of time. Hopefully the pigs are better off.

I certainly hope so. Maybe now they are in their forever homes.

Pinny Gig

Cavy Slave
This person obviously wanted attention from us. Otherwise why post here at all that she intended to find homes for them?

A waste of time. Hopefully the pigs are better off.

I want to believe that, but I doubt that after finding this little nugget on her profile:

"Ive owned...dogs...cats...and guinea pigs. Soon to be rats! 17/11/14"

Judging by the date at the end I think she's moving on to something else :\

pinky

Cavy Slave
I want to believe that, but I doubt that after finding this little nugget on her profile:

wow..... Where are her parents? Sounds like she doesn't have much guidance. This is a good example of why parents should ultimately be responsible for the family pets, not kids.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave

I was going to stay out of this thread because I didn't want to judge and harass a little kid, but now I just have to shake my head. Hopefully someone responsible took them. Someone posted above that pigs mostly care about food, water, veggies, and clean cage. Whoever wrote that made me feel tons better. I work a lot and I definitely spend time with the pigs when I can, but sometimes I feel like they miss me. In truth, they don't give a crap if I snuggle them or not. They only care about their bowls being full! lol

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
That date has already passed and she never said anything about rats. I think she's just an impulsive person who has trouble controlling herself when she sees something she wants. To be fair most of us are that way, and in society as a whole we throw away our pets all the time. On this forum, obviously, the majority of us step up and deal with our impulse additions. But, aren't we talking about a girl who's around 15ish? I don't understand why her parents did not set up boundaries?

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately many adults/parents don't have the same mentality that we do on this forum. I have a friend that just gives into her kid's every whim when it comes to animals. When princess Grace wants a new pet they run out and get it and as soon as she is tired of it they give it away. Part of the problem is spoiling the kid and giving her everything she wants and the other part is failing to recognize they are dealing with living, breathing creatures, and not the latest and greatest toy of the season. It's so sad, but it happens everyday.

Pinny Gig

Cavy Slave
It's a frustrating to witness "disposable pets" in action. I was once asked if I wanted to adopt a pair of chinchillas by family friends. As much as I adored them I knew what they required for a healthy, happy life and couldn't provide that. It was bizarre since these people are very well-educated and yet didn't bother to figure out the logistics of owning such a pet.

I can't understand why people lack empathy for all living creatures and how some pets have more "value" than others. It's very depressing.

pinky

Cavy Slave
It's a frustrating to witness "disposable pets" in action. I was once asked if I wanted to adopt a pair of chinchillas by family friends. As much as I adored them I knew what they required for a healthy, happy life and couldn't provide that. It was bizarre since these people are very well-educated and yet didn't bother to figure out the logistics of owning such a pet.

I can't understand why people lack empathy for all living creatures and how some pets have more "value" than others. It's very depressing.

I'm not sure if it's even necessarily about one having more value. I think it's often more about a sense of entitlement and instant gratification. I think it takes a level of maturity to feel a sense of obligation and commitment. That's where good parenting comes in. Kids learn by example.

Pinny Gig

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if it's even necessarily about one having more value. I think it's often more about a sense of entitlement and instant gratification. I think it takes a level of maturity to feel a sense of obligation and commitment. That's where good parenting comes in. Kids learn by example.

Very true. It's unfortunate some parents are so blase when it comes to granting entitlement/instant gratification for their children.

My previous comment just reflects many people I've encountered who see pets as disposable barring cats/dogs. I often get "oh why are you spending so much on a guinea pig? Just go get another one. You should get a dog if you're spending that much!". Why shouldn't I provide my pig with the best care I can? Because it's not a dog? These people also take very good care of their own pets. It's very unsettling.

Likely this attitude stems from the whole pet store situation where it's just another "toy" for their kids to play.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
When i wanted mice i had to get money to buy them, i had to clean my room, i had to bathe the dog (she will do anything not to get a bath) and pass 3 subjects in school. Mickey (one of mice) died and i became allergic to his brother Knight so i had to give him away. I became depressed cause i cant spend all day with my other pets cause I'm allergic so my mom suggested pigs. But she didn't just buy them. I had to convince my dad, do research, buy a cage, buy bedding, buy food, give my parents all the reasons to have a pig and adopt the pig with my own money. I walked dogs pet-sat and did chores and still do all those things and if i slack off my mom doesn't pick up for me. She grounds me if i don't clean their cage. If i go to my dads for the weekend i have to leave them with a clean cage a list of what veggies they can have and cant and how much and leave them with 2 piles of hay and all she does is refill their food and give them pets occasionally. The only thing she helps me with is making sure my door stays closed (we have a kitten that thinks guinea pigs are toys). My friends think my mom is mean or strict or whatever cause she doesn't buy me things right when i ask and i have to work for them and make a commitment where their parents buy them everything they want. I actually think my mom is fair. And when she does buy food or hay for the pigs i pay her back when i get paid. And I'm younger than this girl. It is kinda sad she had to give them away tho.

Sballin

Cavy Slave
Poor pigs, I really hope they are better off and in a forever home. I do not know those girl or her story but from reading this post I don't really understand why she adopted so many piggies just to turn around and give them away. I mean sure I dread having to clean my pigs cage, it's a lot of work but I'm not going to give my pigs up because of it. And once it's done I love seeing them happy and running around exploring how I set there cage up this time :) just hurts my heart to think of these pigs being sperated. Oh well I guess pigs aren't for everyone.

elfje

Cavy Slave
The thing is, none of us know the full story. But somehow it is ok to judge her?
She posted a message here cause people in this forum love piggies....she obviously cares enough to take all the comments and still leave a message that the piggies found a new home.
I hope the piggies found a loving new mom but I think her giving them up because she thought she coudn't provide them enough love and attention just proves she does care!
You guys can judge...but what if this girl has a low selfesteam and now thinks even less of herself?
And...I don't know the full story either...but wanted to offer another possible side of it.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
When i wanted mice i had to get money to buy them, i had to clean my room, i had to bathe the dog (she will do anything not to get a bath) and pass 3 subjects in school. Mickey (one of mice) died and i became allergic to his brother Knight so i had to give him away. I became depressed cause i cant spend all day with my other pets cause I'm allergic so my mom suggested pigs. But she didn't just buy them. I had to convince my dad, do research, buy a cage, buy bedding, buy food, give my parents all the reasons to have a pig and adopt the pig with my own money. I walked dogs pet-sat and did chores and still do all those things and if i slack off my mom doesn't pick up for me. She grounds me if i don't clean their cage. If i go to my dads for the weekend i have to leave them with a clean cage a list of what veggies they can have and cant and how much and leave them with 2 piles of hay and all she does is refill their food and give them pets occasionally. The only thing she helps me with is making sure my door stays closed (we have a kitten that thinks guinea pigs are toys). My friends think my mom is mean or strict or whatever cause she doesn't buy me things right when i ask and i have to work for them and make a commitment where their parents buy them everything they want. I actually think my mom is fair. And when she does buy food or hay for the pigs i pay her back when i get paid. And I'm younger than this girl. It is kinda sad she had to give them away tho.

My parents are like that too. They aren't strict, they just need to know that mom and dad won't be with you forever, so you need to take care of things without our full help. My dad never liked animals, so we aren't getting any more for a while now.

For what it's worth (Although it probably isn't worth anything) I am younger than that person and I have school, homework, sports, and other things to do- not to mention take care of another dog, cat, and sometimes the 2nd dog- and I still spot clean twice a day, give my piggies food and water and hay and floor time and veggies and snuggle time almost every single day. I would be in heaven if my parents let me adopt that many pigs, but two is their limit (for now lol). I don't know both sides of the story, and I'm not hating, but if I ever said I just wanted to move on from a pet, my parents would say: "No way! You committed to this animal when we bought it, so you are going to take care of it until it dies.", and I respect that. If I gave an animal away, I would never get another. This is just me. There might be school problems, or whatever else, and she might have a good reason. I don't know.

I'm glad they are going to good homes, however.

pinky

Cavy Slave
My parents are like that too. They aren't strict, they just need to know that mom and dad won't be with you forever, so you need to take care of things without our full help. My dad never liked animals, so we aren't getting any more for a while now.

For what it's worth (Although it probably isn't worth anything) I am younger than that person and I have school, homework, sports, and other things to do- not to mention take care of another dog, cat, and sometimes the 2nd dog- and I still spot clean twice a day, give my piggies food and water and hay and floor time and veggies and snuggle time almost every single day. I would be in heaven if my parents let me adopt that many pigs, but two is their limit (for now lol). I don't know both sides of the story, and I'm not hating, but if I ever said I just wanted to move on from a pet, my parents would say: "No way! You committed to this animal when we bought it, so you are going to take care of it until it dies.", and I respect that. If I gave an animal away, I would never get another. This is just me. There might be school problems, or whatever else, and she might have a good reason. I don't know.

Back in February, she mentioned she had 4 dogs, 3 cats and 6 guinea pigs. She recently mentioned only 3 dogs and possibly getting rats. She might still have the cats but didn't mention them. It's one thing to have a few pets and need to work around a school schedule and care for your pets but once you start having a large number of animals like that, it can be overwhelming. She's 14 so her parents are ultimately responsible so that has to be considered, too. I don't know if she has siblings or what her personal situation is, but 13 pets is an awful lot for anyone to care for. I have kids and there's no way I'd agree to that many pets unless I could personally handle it. The vet costs alone would be astronomical and my husband and I work so just cleaning up after that many animals would be mind boggling. I know that there are people who have a lot of pets and manage but a 14 year old taking on that kind of responsibility without a parent or guardian overseeing, just doesn't make sense to me. This is one of the reasons so many animals end up in shelters. People don't think it through: the cost, the time, the commitment. The parents need to be in the picture, too. I think anyone considering adding more and more pets would benefit from reading this thread so they can see how quickly going from a few pets to a large number can become unmanageable.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Yes, @pinky, I agree. Even though I do everything else in my life, I still have a good 3-4 hours a day where I have no idea what to do! lol

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
When I was 14-15 I had 5 cats, 1 dog, 9 guinea pigs, and 9 rabbits, a gerbil, and a rat. The dog and cats were family pets, but the others were 100% mine to care for. And I participated in every extracurricular activity my school offered and was a straight-A student. You make time for what you want to make time for in my opinion.

pinky

Cavy Slave
When I was growing up, they didn't have anything like carefresh or kiln dried pine so our small pets were on newspaper which meant cleaning cages every day. We had a lot of pets. We had a dog, cat, birds, fish and also 3 rabbits and two guinea pigs but not at the same time. My brother always had a snake or two and salamanders but he took care of those. I was a straight A student, was in a lot of activities and worked a part time job. I couldn't and didn't have time to care for all the pets because I got home from school really late due to the extracurricular activities and usually had to go straight to work. My mom was the primary caretaker of the pets because my dad worked two jobs. My mom had a part time job but always made sure the pets were taken care of when we (there were four of us kids) didn't have time to tend to them.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave

i have online classes, dog walking, pet sitting, taking care of puppies (harder than it seems!!!), my 2 dogs, my 2 cats, my pigs, sports, my own pe (homeschooled), projects, and because my kitten and 1 dog sleep with me i have to keep my room incredibly clean. Oh and when i go to my moms/dads i have to make sure i have everything. EVERYTHING!!!! Honest;ly its not that hard to care for pigs. I cuddle Emmy (if she lets me) during school and i cuddle Bailey after dinner and i dont really cuddle her i just kinda let her/lay next to me and our dog (whos a big jealous butt) and i cuddle Mocha before i fall asleep. I do all that and other chores!

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
I love how you all are still talking about this "little 15 year old kid". Yes. I am 15. I have a job, house to clean and school, work, as well as personal reasons and its all very pressuring. Its bad enough you know that I can't go a day without something throwing me down. I don't feel I am giving these beautiful animals the care they deserve. Can we end it at that? The pigs are going to a home where they hopefully will be with someone better than a "15 year old kid." I'm sorry for wasting everyone else's time with trying to talk in a forum that is ment for Guinea pigs. When I got my pig (3 ish months ago) I did not have this problem. I did not experience the things I am now, and I did not have the pressure I am receiving now. No life stories from me, really. I think I'm done now..Au Revoir.

Edit to add; and to ease everyone's worries, no I am not getting another pet. No rats. I liked rats, but was never getting one. I'm not getting another pet till I know I can take the time to care for it like a "15 year old kid" should.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't think age is the criteria for how well someone will care for a pet so there is no such thing as taking time to care for a pet like a "15 year" or or any aged person should. There are plenty of young people on here who take exceptional care of their pets and are fully committed to them. I think that anyone considering owning pets needs to think about the "what if" scenarios so they will be able to manage when situations arise. I can't understand anyone owning a large number of pets when they know that their life obligations will make it difficult to care for them and I can't stress enough that parents need to be on board when it comes to bringing pets into the home. It's really easy to become enamored with guinea pigs and want to have more of them but when they don't get along or are mis-sexed, it creates problems. I fully understand that there are situations where rehoming is the only option but when there are a large number of pets in the household already and more are brought in only to start rehoming some of them, I think it could have been avoided if an adult was ultimately responsible for the decision to bring in the pets and made a commitment to care for them if their minor child was unable or unwilling to.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.