Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Kudos to Petsmart

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I was at the Petsmart in Mishawaka, Indiana today so of course I had to check out the condition of the pigs. They certainly get an A from me. There were 3 males in a cage (aquarium, hence no A+) and they were happy, healthy, and alert looking. There were no signs of crusty eyes or noses. They had tons of hay, water, and food. The bedding was clean and abundant. I went to the small animal supply area to find a hidey house and I noticed a sign that said exercise balls and wheels are NOT suitable for guinea pigs and rabbits. Yay! I am glad to see that they are standing up for what's best for the animals rather than just trying to make a sale. I have been to the Petsmart in Merrillville, Indiana also and have seen similar outstanding conditions for the pigs. I feel inclined to write and tell how happy I am to see proper care for the animals. Does anyone know where I would send the letter? Now if we can only get them to offer and promote C&C cages!!

piggielove123

Cavy Slave
that's great. I don't know but you could ask the manager where to send a letter.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
The problem with the pets in the pet stores really honestly has very little to do with the seeming care they are getting while on display.

Congratulate them no more than you would congratulate a pet store for a happy, cute looking puppy frolicking in the pet store window when you know that puppy came from a horrific puppy mill.

Kuddos to Petsmart for actually treating their merchandise like they already should be and still aren't -- aquarium?

Find out where they buy their 'stock' and see if it's possible to visit the distributor and the breeders (not possible). You won't be happy. You'll be in tears. You'll be disgusted. You'll be angry. You'll be heartbroken.

It's not a "small step" in the right direction either. The only step is to make a statement with your wallet.

Stay out of the stores. Buy online. Buy from Petsmart online. Just stay out of the stores.

We are never going to put a 7.1 BILLION dollar company out of business. That is NOT the objective. You'd think they could afford to do it right, wouldn't you? Guess what? They really do not care about the guinea pigs or other living creatures. The ONLY thing that really matters is profit for the shareholders and the fat cats (many millionaires living rich off of the pain and suffering of our lovely little guinea pigs and other creatures). You can send a message with your purchases. Make it less and less profitable to keep animals in their stores. Make it more and more profitable to shop online. Be an advocate for NOT buying animals like merchandise in stores.

PetSmart, Inc.
NASDAQ: PETM - Apr 16 4:00pm ET
66.04+0.77‎ (1.18%‎)
https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:PETM

Mkt Cap 7.10B

Boogle

Cavy Slave
I think MLT2007 was talking about how glad they were that the the store employees caring about the pets, not corporate.

MLT knows that corporate could careless and that guinea pigs come from mills.

I think the point of this post is that there are employees out there that take the extra effort to care for their animals. If corporate only requires the employees to check on the animals twice a day and are only fed pellets, but instead the employees are checking on them multiple times a day and providing fresh veggies on top of the pellets. Then yes, thats something that should be applauded and i think taking time out of your day to write a letter would be a wonderful thing.

No, its not going to change the store over night. Its not going to stop the store from housing guinea pigs in aquariums. its not going to stop the store from getting pigs from bad sources.

HOWEVER people benefit from praise, and if employees know that customers appreciate cleaner less crowded cages and proper warning signs on products. Then this is something that the store will continue to do.

I'd much rather see a store make an effort to properly take care of guinea pigs from mills than to see a store who treats them just as poorly as the employees at the breeding warehouse.

also i still don't understand why we don't want people shopping in the store? as long as they don't buy pets there i don't see a problem? am i missing something?

Boogle

Cavy Slave
Also a lot of people seem to hate aquariums and how guinea pigs are presented in big chain pet stores or want to see other products sold in the store (like C&C material).

has anyone here ever tried to change that? like actually took action and tried writing a letter to the company?

Not trying to be a jerk, I'm genuinely curious to see how that worked out for those who did.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
But the thing is, the employees are NOT going above and beyond for those animals. They're just giving them the standard of care that should always be given. It's nothing special, it's just the way things should be, and no one deserves praise for doing what they should do. Think about it...isn't that a sad comment on the state of most pet stores if "happy, healthy, alert" guinea pigs are something out of the ordinary? I don't pat myself on the back for giving my girls their vegetables or taking them to the vet when they're sick or choosing the right toys for them, and I certainly don't think a pet store deserves praise for proper care, either.

Boogle

Cavy Slave
I mean obviously they did some research if they know that balls are not suited for guineas and rabbits.
There isn't much animal care education in the training when you first get hired (sucks) so these employees did go out of their way to learn something. I'm sure to post that sign was their doing and not the company as a whole.

Run of the mill employees are not allowed to put up new signs so it's more like someone complained to corporate and fearing bad publicity, they sent down a directive to put up a sign.

so yeah i do applaud them. instead of just going to work to pay the bills they actually make an effort to care. It is sad, that its out of the ordinary to see healthy pigs... thats why when you see something out of the ordinary thats why you need to show that its AWESOME so that they won't decline to their old ways.

Sure, let's applaud them, "Yay Petsmart, you are doing what you should have been doing all along. Kudos for giving standard care. Hooray for doing your job". If everyone was applauded just for doing the job they were hired to do, the world would be a much better place.

think of employees like children. you praise your child for using good manners because as they are learning them its out of the ordinary for them to use them... however as they catch on to how things work and just start making manners a habit which they use in everyday life then there is no need to praise them every time they say please and thank you. Right?like a 3 year old saying "please" and "thank you" is something that needs praise. a 20 something year old saying "please" and "thank you" isn't extraordinary, just expected and doesn't require praise.

Sure, except the store is the 20 yr old, not the child, in this scenario. Petsmart has been around for decades, they should know better by now. So as you said, "a 20 something year old saying, 'please' and 'thank you' isn't extraordinary, just expected and doesn't require praise."

Last edited by a moderator:

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also a lot of people seem to hate aquariums and how guinea pigs are presented in big chain pet stores or want to see other products sold in the store (like C&C material).

has anyone here ever tried to change that? like actually took action and tried writing a letter to the company?

Not trying to be a jerk, I'm genuinely curious to see how that worked out for those who did.

There have been HUGE and MASSIVE campaigns to try to get both Petsmart and Petco to change their ways. HUGE. From letters, to petitions, to boycotts and much more. I've been involved in them for YEARS. Hand-delivered to corporate petitions signed by many THOUSANDS of people along with massively compelling letters, photos and pleas.

I've personally done legal battle with Petco and PIJAC over getting Senate Bill SB1357 passed in California in 2002 -- a law which NOW requires pet stores in CA to hand out a lousy care sheet with the sale of every animal. They fought that tooth and nail. Me and others have spent countless hours fighting this fight. Driven HUNDREDS of miles. I've lobbied the corridors of Sacramento many days. I continue the fight.

This image is of my good friend Leah in front of the Redwood City Petco in California. I'm taking the picture.

Letters continue to written every day by well-intentioned people about their crappy products and such.

Kudos to Petsmart

How did it work out? A lot of people bonded and became friends over the issues, we felt good that we TRIED. We spent TIME, money and effort trying. In the meantime, the animals continue to suffer, impulse buys continue unabated, and most importantly, the fat cats get a whole lot fatter--grotesquely fat.

You can tell by the tenor of my post that my blood pressure just goes up about 10 points on this issue. It makes me angry (the issue, not the attempt to solve it by newbies to the cause).

This is not a simple issue.

Boogle

Cavy Slave
You can tell by the tenor of my post that my blood pressure just goes up about 10 points on this issue. It makes me angry (the issue, not the attempt to solve it by newbies to the cause).

This is not a simple issue.

well I'm sorry I made you stressed. I'm not trying to push buttons, I'm just genuinely curious cause I wanted to start becoming more involved and I've been brainstorming different approaches.

I'm new to guinea pigs and new to petstore criticism.... I realize the issue isn't simple at all... I've been thinking a lot about it and the more I think about it the less simple it seems.

Sure, except the store is the 20 yr old, not the child, in this scenario. Petsmart has been around for decades, they should know better by now. So as you said, "a 20 something year old saying, 'please' and 'thank you' isn't extraordinary, just expected and doesn't require praise.

yeah but the employees probably haven't been there for decades. i mean it wouldn't hurt to write a letter to the store manager, who just deals with how that individual store is run.
of course don't write a letter to corporate, corporate would just be like "meh".

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Actually, apparently it does hurt to write a letter. If you even READ CavySpirit's post you'd see millions, possibly thousands, of people have already sent them letters, phone calls and even personal visits(the select few that can) and obviously nothing has been done! They know exactly where these animals come from. And if they don't? GET OUT FROM UNDER THAT ROCK! By all the attention they get from people like CavySpirit, they should know without a doubt where their animals come from. Once they realize, "this is wrong, we shouldn't be treating these poor creatures like this. Let's stop selling them!" THEN we will give such stores credit.

If I were you, I'd stop supporting them. FYI: you think the managers would care any more than corporate? No they don't. If they truly did, they wouldn't be working there.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
also i still don't understand why we don't want people shopping in the store? as long as they don't buy pets there i don't see a problem? am i missing something?

Yes, you are missing something. A lot in fact. The whole business model. Again, it's not just about the pets that you see in the store. It's almost not about that at all.

Point 1:

The ONLY reason pets are sold in the stores AT ALL EVER ---- and I cannot emphasize this strongly enough ---- is as a LOSS LEADER. They get you in the store to buy the pet -- which is absolutely at a loss to them profit-wise -- so that they can sell you the follow-on profitable, high margin supplies -- consumables (you have to keep coming back and back and back and back -- as well as the cages, accessories and whatever.

A "loss leader" is what's used to get you into the store. Their added benefit of the small cute pets as loss leaders is also that not only are they a great traditional loss leader item, they have the added CUTENESS factor from the little kids begging their parents for one, like a damn toy. It's practically like going to the zoo for some people. Free cuteness advertizing on top of the marketing benefit.

It's the RAZOR/RAZOR BLADE model to put it another way, right? Buy the razor for a few bucks, spend a fortune over time on the actual blades.

Okay, that's the first point which doesn't explain the whole picture yet. But you have to really truly understand that part of the equation first.

So, keep in mind, they DO NOT CARE ---- REALLY TRULY ---- whether you buy a guinea pig in the store ---- that is NOT what they care about. It's about the SALES and PROFIT on the merchandise.

Okay.

Point 2:

Case 1:

Let's assume you've made your purchase of that poor guinea pig that looked like it needed "rescuing" from the big bad store -- which happens to countless people across the country every day. You bought your supplies and stuff. Goodie. They KNOW you bought a pig THERE and some SUPPLIES. Love computers.

You come back next week. You buy more supplies. Generally speaking, you are just an anonymous person buying supplies. MAYBE if you are using your "here I am and here is all my personal info" Petco PALS type card, they can track your original purchase, but generally speaking, your purchase of inventory is just basically credited to that store. That stores sells guinea pigs. You bought guinea pig supplies there.

THAT STORE is accountable for its sales and inventory and profit.

Case 2:

Let's assume you did NOT buy your guinea pig from that store. You ADOPTED from the rescue down the street. Yeah!

Now you walk into that store and buy your supplies. You go back and buy more supplies and more and more. JUST LIKE ABOVE in case one, generally speaking, they do NOT KNOW that you did NOT buy the guinea pig from their store.

BUT, THAT STORE continues to be profitable -- THAT STORE WHICH SELLS guinea pigs is even more profitable because they didn't have to deal with the LOSS of selling it to you. The burden was carried by the individual rescuer.

Case 3:

Let's assume, once again, you ADOPTED. Let's assume THIS TIME, that you go ONLINE and buy your supplies ONLINE from Petsmart. AGAIN and again and again. In other words. You never set foot in that store.

Guess what? Petsmart STILL gets rich, you still get your products, BUT THIS TIME, the sales and profit for THAT STORE WHICH CARRIES GUINEA PIGS, did not increase at all.

You're the Mucky Muck

So, now pretend you're a VP at Petsmart sitting around the conference room table discussing sales trends. Let's pretend that, oh say, 10,000 people in the area (humor me) did the same thing.

A) No one is buying guinea pigs in the stores.
B) We continue to lose a bit of money on the guinea pigs in those stores.
C) We are not selling guinea pig supplies in the stores.
D) We are selling a LOT of online supplies to people in that same area.
E) That store is losing money on the overhead and carrying costs of the supplies in those stores.

Now, I've been mildly respectful by not calling Petsmart Petstupid, but I hope you get the basic idea.

The message needs to be sent to them to invest more in their ONLINE sales channel OR they need to understand that THEIR STORES are NOT getting the MERCHANDISE business from the guinea pig owners. THEREFORE, they should either stop selling pigs in that store, OR don't open any MORE stores in the area because there is NOT enough traffic to support it, OR close the store (ha).

Petstores are NOT in the business to be a ZOO. Stop making it profitable for them to carry pets. DO NOT SHOP IN ANY PET STORE AT ALL ANYWHERE that carries any living creatures. There are GREAT AND FANTASTIC pet SUPPLY stores that have a great business that DO NOT SELL PETS. SHOP THERE or SHOP ONLINE.

It is absolutely your SHOPPING DOLLARS that make the difference. SPEND WISELY AND SAVE LIVES.

Last edited:

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
well I'm sorry I made you stressed. I'm not trying to push buttons, I'm just genuinely curious cause I wanted to start becoming more involved and I've been brainstorming different approaches.

Oh don't get me wrong. I actually LOVE this topic. And YOU do not stress me out at all, not one iota. It's just I have a very very long history with it and a very very deep understanding of it. I've already beat my head bloody against their corporate walls. I greatly appreciate anyone and everyone whose heart is in the right place and wants to make a difference.

It's just an issue that makes my blood boil no matter what. Stay out of the stores that sell animals. TELL EVERYONE you know to do the same. Become an advocate by helping others understand this fairly complex issue. It is NOT what it seems and they COUNT on your business naivete.

Last edited:

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I was not trying to create a huge issue. I was just a little excited when I saw animals that were cared for very well and looked very healthy after hearing countless heartbreaking stories on here about terrible conditions and dead animals in cages. I was not desiring to send a letter to say "good job for doing your job". I just thought corporate would like to know that we DO pay attention to how the animals are taken care of and that we want to see good things. @CavySpirit I generally do refuse to buy my supplies at these types of stores, after learning from this site (thank you for the knowledge :)) I go to my local pet store that does not sell animals. They carry my Oxbow pellets and my Blue Buffalo cat food so I go there, even though it is much more pricey. It's important enough to me to support "proper" pet stores that I will pay extra. The only reason I was even in Petsmart was because I had time to kill before an appointment and was checking out their hidey houses because my local place does not have much in that area. You are absolutely right in all that you say. I was just glad to NOT see what I read on here. I was not trying to cause a big stir. I come here to learn and use what I learn.

1966KIMMIEKAYE

Cavy Slave
@(broken link removed)

I've got a newbie question...
We got our 4 piggies (instead of 2-another story) from a rescue. This rescue is amazing they take in small critters that are turned in. They go to the 24 hour kill shelters and rescue as may dogs, cats, and critters as they can every day. They place them all in foster homes. On Thursday - Sunday at four different PetCo's have rescue events. This is every week.

What are your thoughts??

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
@(broken link removed)

I've got a newbie question...
We got our 4 piggies (instead of 2-another story) from a rescue. This rescue is amazing they take in small critters that are turned in. They go to the 24 hour kill shelters and rescue as may dogs, cats, and critters as they can every day. They place them all in foster homes. On Thursday - Sunday at four different PetCo's have rescue events. This is every week.

What are your thoughts??

Not everyone has the same views that I do. It is not necessarily every rescue's mission to stop the source of the problem.

Personally, I don't like it. There are plenty of pet stores to hold rescue events at that do not carry animals. But, off the top of my head, I know of at least one other major rescue that does this in CO. I do not agree with it at all, quite frankly. I assume you are in NV. Other rescues do this.

It ends up helping Petco at absolutely NO expense to them. They get the additional foot traffic. It draws people in. Those stores are STILL selling gps despite the OBVIOUS fact that there is an overpopulation problem. Petco sell the supplies. They get FREE "good-will, social marketing" and advertising so that the average person thinks that Petco's "Adoption First" bull crap actually means anything.

I know that the rescues feel that they get the interested traffic, that they are trying to educate people. But, in the end and in the long run, it does nothing to stem the flow and hurts more than helps the big picture.

Quite frankly, it also bothers me that cat and rabbit rescues, especially, also hold frequent adoption events at Petco's and Petsmarts. It's like, what are we? Chopped liver? They no longer sell your pets in their damn stores, so now it's okay?? I don't think so. No RATS, no hammies, no birds, no "FEEDERS," no chins, no snakes, etc.

ANY store that sells ANY living creatures should be avoided by ALL rescue groups. Period. In my book. If you really really get it as a rescue, if you really understand the big picture and want it to change, then you have to act accordingly.

When the stores clean up their act and stop selling pets, THEN, great, let's hold as many adoptions there as possible ------ ASSUMING these are NOT revolving door rescues.

A revolving door rescue is not much better than a pet store. Which for me, means NO 'same day' adoptions at adoption events. NO impulse buys or "seemingly" qualified adopters. Adoptions should always be a 2-visit process in my book as well.

Last edited:

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
CavySpirit said:
Personally, I don't like it. There are plenty of pet stores to hold rescue events at that do not carry animals. But, off the top of my head, I know of at least one other major rescue that does this in CO. I do not agree with it at all, quite frankly. I assume you are in NV. Other rescues do this.

A revolving door rescue is not much better than a pet store. Which for me, means NO 'same day' adoptions at adoption events. NO impulse buys or "seemingly" qualified adopters. Adoptions should always be a 2-visit process in my book as well.

They have actually changed that in the last year or so. They now do their events at a small local store that does not sell animals. I went to one a few months back just to see what they were doing and checked the store to see if they had any animals, it was the first and a second was canceled due to a storm but I think that's a permanent change.

They are still a revolving door as you say and still do same day adoptions and don't enforce c&c cages and a whole bunch of other issues that I didn't even think about until talking to you and learning more about being a rescue but that is one improvement they have made.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I personally would like to see the rescues that hold events at Petco or PetsMart sell major products WITH the animals getting adopted. Rescues have a hard time getting attention and people to adopt their animals. Some don't have that hard of a time, but most do. It's a shame they have to get help from big name pet stores to help them.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I personally would like to see the rescues that hold events at Petco or PetsMart sell major products WITH the animals getting adopted. Rescues have a hard time getting attention and people to adopt their animals. Some don't have that hard of a time, but most do. It's a shame they have to get help from big name pet stores to help them.

It's feeding the hand that bites you. Pointless, really. That kind of help is no help at all in my opinion. Part of being a rescue means NOT taking the easy way out.

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
My local Petsmarts all have same conditions

Boogle

Cavy Slave
CavySpirit.

I still have questions. Don't think I'm ignoring your posts... I just work two jobs and its impossible for me to find free time.

Idk if you prefer that I send you a PM or ask on this thread.

but I just want you to know that I still have questions.

Also how do you guys mention someone in a post?! can't seem to figure that out either.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.