Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Sam is Squeaking while Pooping

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Thank you. They are the same age (about 1.5 years old). I really don't want Frodo to lose as much weight as Sam. He has always been the fat, energetic one :(

Glad to hear Sam continues to do well!

All things considered, 60 grams in two weeks isn't a huge deal, yet. If he continues to lose weight at that rate, then it becomes something else entirely. I'm not certain how old Frodo is, but if he's over 5, he could be starting to "downward plateau".

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Keep monitoring him. My 10 month old fat boy Punkin fluctuates about that much every few weeks. Up and down, up and down. If he continues to lose, by all means get him checked.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
So I finally got a good video of Sam squeaking while pooping. He is still doing this although he continues to remain at a steady weight and have normal behavior (eat hay, drink water, squeal for and eat veggies, etc.). Every time we have lap time he does this and sometimes 3-4 times in a row even if I am laying flat and he is on my stomach. Should I put him back on Metacam? It seemed to help a little as in he wouldn't squeak as loudly but still strain...

[video=youtube_share;I7rwqEZWEpI]https://youtu.be/I7rwqEZWEpI[/video]

Frodo is still doing ok. His weight seems steady but he did get as low at 1060 once.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know whether I'd put him back on Metacam or not. Long-term use of it can cause problems.

But I do have a question. Does he only squeak when he's producing cecal poops, or every time he poops?

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
I don't think it is only the cecal ones because he won't always eat them even if I give them to him (sometimes I help him get ones out that are stuck). He makes the sound sometimes when he is in his cage and I see him strain in his pigloo but not as much.

He has had an X-ray and ultrasound and they said they were normal not to mention three different antibiotics. He has done this for a year but didn't squeak as loud before...

I don't know whether I'd put him back on Metacam or not. Long-term use of it can cause problems.

But I do have a question. Does he only squeak when he's producing cecal poops, or every time he poops?

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
In terms of Frodo - and this may be advice you know/have already gotten - if you are worried about his water intake, leave his veggies a little wetter. I notice that if I don't dry their lettuce well, my girls don't drink much, so maybe that's a good way for you to feel better about monitoring his drinking.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Thank you @ZiggyPig . He luckily seems to be drinking normally again most days.

I was wondering if anyone has advice on butt sores. It seems Sam had some tender areas on his balls near his anus (sorry don't know nicer way to say it). I think it is because his butt is wet a lot of the time because he still has moist poops and pees a lot. I keep his cage clean and it is fleece so I don't think that is the issue. I forgto my gorgeous guineas shampoo at my old place. While I order a new one, what is ok to clean it with? I figure maybe I should was and dry it twice a day to prevent infection.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Keep the hair trimmed off. Clean it up and use diaper rash ointment, like Desitin, on it. Apply a very thin coat with a q-tip, and rub it in well.

I wouldn't shampoo it twice a day, but you could give him a plain water butt bath daily to keep the area clean.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
When I do bathe my boys, I use a small pet shampoo by All Living Things (PetSmart brand). I previously used Squeaky Clean, but haven't seen it around lately.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Squeaky Clean got bought by somebody, maybe PetSmart. That's why it disappeared.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Squeaky Clean got bought by somebody, maybe PetSmart. That's why it disappeared.

I could be wrong, but I think Kaytee has it now. At least, Kaytee now has a Squeaky Clean critter shampoo.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Could be. I knew it had been bought, but couldn't remember who bought it.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, it's now a Kaytee brand.

The question now is, is it any good any more? I still have some Squeaky Clean left over when it was Petco branded. Has the formula been changed, and is it still safe? I don't really trust much from Kaytee. And I've looked in Canada for Gorgeous Guineas, no luck so far.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Thank you [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] . I picked up some Desitin and applied like you said. I think he liked it because he was struggling then stopped a litttle when the cream got on him. I did try to put a thin amount but just worried as he eats his poops out of that area and drags it on the fleece to mark territory and Frodo will sniff and lick it. I don't want them to get sick.

I think i will forgo shampoo so as not to dry the area out. Have been using a cotton ball to apply water and then will pat dry. There is a photo below where it is. The flash makes it look really yellow when it is more pink...hard to get him to hold still to take it.

IMG_8643.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't think you'll have to worry about the Desitin on the fleece. It's very unlikely that any pig could ingest enough to get sick from it. If you apply it thinly and rub it in, it shouldn't bother either him or his cagemate.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Ok, how often should I apply? Only once a day or maybe AM and PM?

I don't think you'll have to worry about the Desitin on the fleece. It's very unlikely that any pig could ingest enough to get sick from it. If you apply it thinly and rub it in, it shouldn't bother either him or his cagemate.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd probably do it twice a day.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Hello all, sorry I have not posted in a while. Sam is still doing okay. He is slowly gaining weight and almost back to 900 grams. However he still has open sores on his balls. They will scab over then reopen and today he had blood on his stool from one reopening again. Not sure what to do as the diaper rash cream takes the scab off if I apply it so I have stopped. Since the sore is by where he pees, it can't dry. Not sure what to do...he squeaks more when he poops now because of the sore. I change his bedding often. Any advice? It is hard to take a picture of it.

IMG_8794.jpg

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
The question now is, is it any good any more? I still have some Squeaky Clean left over when it was Petco branded. Has the formula been changed, and is it still safe? I don't really trust much from Kaytee. And I've looked in Canada for Gorgeous Guineas, no luck so far.

Surely there must be a PetSmart nearby? I use their All Living Things brand shampoo for small animals. I find it quite satisfactory.

I share your distrust of Kaytee products, but I doubt that Squeaky Clean has changed much. I've used it since Kaytee bought the line and had no problem with it. I haven't gone so far as to compare ingredients in the shampoos. You can probably do that online.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.