Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Our New Cage Setup and a Big Thank You!

Jazmin Ford

Cavy Slave
I posted back a bit ago asking for advice on how to support a 2 grid wide loft on a 3 grid wide cage. Here is the cage. all done. Just need to get the fleece for their loft cut up!

The sows are on the 3x6 with the yellow 2x6 loft, and the boars are in the 3x4 with the blue 2x4 loft. There is a divider so no piggy baby making. Is the one cube enough to keep the boars from climbing into the sows cage until I can get more cubes for a lid?

IMG_0661.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg1794771_10207286743309148_5983915492747659139_n.jpg

ps. They have a TON of toys and huts. I spent all weekend disinfecting and building the cage. Just got all the others bleached today.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I think you will have to cover the loft too. Use a towel or a small blanket and use a bunch of binder clips to hold it down. Full cover the divider too, cardboard in between fleece or another piece of cloth.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'll need to put something at the top at the end of the males' cage so they can't climb out and over. Either that, or put a lid on the females' cage.

Jazmin Ford

Cavy Slave
There is a translucent piece of coroplast on the divider. I'll wait to "open" the loft up to them until I can make a lid.

savannahsatchel

Cavy Slave
Hi there! I'm curious what you have under your fleece as your absorbant layer? I looove how neat and tightly pulled the fleece is, I'm trying to find a way to do that using wood pellets as well /:

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
Hi there! I'm curious what you have under your fleece as your absorbant layer? I looove how neat and tightly pulled the fleece is, I'm trying to find a way to do that using wood pellets as well /:

It looks like the OP is using liners, so my best guess is something like u-haul pads, since they tend to make the best absorbent layer for cage liners. (mine lasted about a week before I needed to change them)

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Wow! What lucky piggies! My girls are in a MIdwest but I want to put them in a 2x5 c &c cage

BarBGirl1999

Cavy Slave
Wow, what a great setup! I love how neat and tidy the fleece looks! I'll definitely be investing in a ton of binder clips when I go to set mine up, hahaha

smfetter

Cavy Slave
My girls and boys are right next to each other with no lid and the boys have never tried to climb in or even shown interest in the girls except for the first day or two they were here right after I got them. Don't worry about it!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My girls and boys are right next to each other with no lid and the boys have never tried to climb in or even shown interest in the girls except for the first day or two they were here right after I got them. Don't worry about it!

Do worry about it. There are many, many, many stories of males climbing the grids to get the females, with lots of those encounters resulting in unplanned pregnancies. Just because @smfetter has been lucky doesn't mean that you will be, or that @smfetter will continue to be. You need a lid on the female cage if you're going to keep pigs in adjoining cages.

smfetter

Cavy Slave
Do worry about it. There are many, many, many stories of males climbing the grids to get the females, with lots of those encounters resulting in unplanned pregnancies. Just because @smfetter has been lucky doesn't mean that you will be, or that @smfetter will continue to be. You need a lid on the female cage if you're going to keep pigs in adjoining cages.

Okay. Just speaking from personal experience. I've had them that way for over 3 years. Go ahead and put a lid on. Just telling you what works for me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.