Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Is a cavy right for me?

GuineaWolf

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the advice everyone :) I am still torn between a rabbit or a guinea pig but I think with a guinea pig it may be easier to prevent it from destroying furniture. Maybe I will just settle for a hamster and see how my life goes from there.

LeePetVet

Cavy Slave
@Rheann maybe you should volunteer at a rescue first

GuineaWolf

Cavy Slave
@(broken link removed) maybe you should volunteer at a rescue first

I would love to do that but I live pretty far away from the SPCA and any other rescue I know of. Too bad I can't drive. I was thinking one day me and my mom could go to the SPCA and I could talk to some volunteers and interact with the rabbits and cavies there.

LeePetVet

Cavy Slave
I would love to do that but I live pretty far away from the SPCA and any other rescue I know of. Too bad I can't drive. I was thinking one day me and my mom could go to the SPCA and I could talk to some volunteers and interact with the rabbits and cavies there.

any friends have piggies or maybe someone on the site in your city?

GuineaWolf

Cavy Slave
any friends have piggies or maybe someone on the site in your city?

There 4 on the SPCA site all 2 years+ and there is also a home-run rescue. Of course there's a huge amount of rabbits at the SPCA. I definitely think I could go and ask if around there.

LeePetVet

Cavy Slave
There 4 on the SPCA site all 2 years+ and there is also a home-run rescue. Of course there's a huge amount of rabbits at the SPCA. I definitely think I could go and ask if around there.
maybe fostering also, check guineapigzone.com

GuineaWolf

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I think a guinea pig will be better since (please correct me if I am wrong):
-Less destructive (than rabbit)
-Won't require 3+ hours of floor time (rabbit's do, not saying on the days that I have the time I won't though)
-Are more likely to be content with sitting on my lap
-Will be content with running around my room (pig-proofed of course)
-Won't require spaying/neutering
-Are awesome
-My mother is dead set against anything bigger than a pig
-Since I am a vegan I already eat tons of veggies daily

Also since I would only be able to get one I would be getting a male from a rescue in my city. I have contacted them and they said it was fine if I had a single male.
I have my eye on this guy: Piggies for Adoption! | Facebook

I was really looking forward to getting a female but I will not be selfish. Also I heard that males have a very high chance of some sort of rectum disease. Any advice on that? Would neutering him be beneficial in anyway?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
-Less destructive (than rabbit)
Yes, generally. Although you should supervise any animal at all times to ensure they don't get into anything they shouldn't or that might be dangerous.
-Won't require 3+ hours of floor time (rabbit's do, not saying on the days that I have the time I won't though)
Yes, but they should still have 45 minutes to an hour of floor time 4-5 times a week if you can't do it every day.
-Are more likely to be content with sitting on my lap
They will be more likely to sit there for longer periods without incident or getting impatient.
-Will be content with running around my room (pig-proofed of course)
This is generally true of a rabbit too, especially a smaller one.
-Won't require spaying/neutering
Unless a health issue necessitates it. Not necessary as a remedy to behavioral issues.
-Are awesome
-My mother is dead set against anything bigger than a pig
-Since I am a vegan I already eat tons of veggies daily

It still seems to me that you don't really have a plan for when you go off to college. Also, that a rescue says you can keep a single male doesn't mean it's optimal or even necessary. Pigs are social creatures that need companionship. Generally, given enough space and time and taking into consideration personalities involved, male pigs can be paired happily and successfully.

Rectum disease? Older males are prone to impaction. Neutering may or may not help this if it's done before the problem develops; however, it may actually make impaction worse if it's done after the issue starts. I've had several males and only a handful have developed impaction issues. It's not a big deal, just requires a little bit more time daily to clean out their poos.

GuineaWolf

Cavy Slave
It still seems to me that you don't really have a plan for when you go off to college. Also, that a rescue says you can keep a single male doesn't mean it's optimal or even necessary. Pigs are social creatures that need companionship. Generally, given enough space and time and taking into consideration personalities involved, male pigs can be paired happily and successfully.

My plan is to go somewhere in Canada so I can drive with all my stuff and including the g.pig and get an apartment that allows small pets. Money is not an object for my so this seems fairly reasonable.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Most universities require underclassmen to stay in dorms and on campus. So it would be important to make alternate plans for whichever animal you adopt, if this was the case for you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.