Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant?

Cierra_95

Cavy Slave
I adopted Iggy about a month ago. I picked her up the other day and couldn't help but notice how big her belly was. I can't tell if shes just really chubby and I need to change her diet or shes actually expecting. I also remembered that when I got her they also had male guinea pigs in the same cage but at the same time I didn't realize how fast guinea pigs are sexually mature at as young as 3 weeks! She was at least a few months old when I got her only a month ago. My guess was that they weren't mature enough to reproduce or the males were neutered thats why thay had at least 15 mixed gendered guinea pigs together! I tried doing some research to see if she was pregnant. To make a long story short I've never had a pregnant guinea pig and theres no real way for me to tell until I can bring her to the vet next week. So I'm looking for a second opinion if anybody else can tell if shes pregnant based on her shape yet? I also was able to put my hand under her belly and did feel a couple lumps and fluttering.
Also, she has currently been caged with her cagemate Squeaky. They get along and I don't see Squeaky showing and serious agressive behavior besides the usual rumblestrutting. I've even caught Iggy cleaning Squeaky's ears. If Iggy is in fact pregnant, should I keep them caged together still? Or should they be in separate cages? Also what should I be feeding Iggy to make sure she is getting all the nutrients she needs? Or any extra care tips?
I can attach more photos if needed. These are just a couple I could get at the moment.
d969346ce9d8c98411000717d3792592.jpg
b64b504c6b2d04a072ce63a23ab5ee4a.jpg
5787bc8755e986650fa5b79142eef705.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cierra_95

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the advice [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] ! I will be getting another cage to attach to the current cage tomorrow!
Also I currently feed both of my guinea pigs Small Pet Select 2nd cut hay and pellets and romaine, some green peppers, and an orange sclice everyday. Since there have been issues with ecoli in romaine lately I've been feeding them whatever fresh green leaf lettuce I can find at the fresh foods store. With that being said are there any other calcium rich foods that are good for both Iggy who is still young and squeaky who is nearly 4 years old? Would it be okay to feed Iggy oxbow young guinea pig pellets since theyre high in in calcium?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Feed them both adult pellets, and take the young pig out of the cage every day for a sprig or two of parsley.

Romaine causes excess urinary calcium in some pigs, though not in others. Red or green leaf lettuces are a safer choice.

Cierra_95

Cavy Slave
UPDATE:
Today I brought Iggy to the vet. I told her what I have noticed the past couple weeks. The vet performed the regular check up procedure I saw her do with Squeaky. She checked her eyes, ears, heart beat etc. In the end she said that she seems to just be gaining a lot of weight. She weighed in at 1000g at the vet today. When I took Squeaky a little over a month ago she was perfectly healthy and weighed in at a little over 800g.
I'm just so skeptical wether to take the vet's word or not and wether or not if I should cut back on how much I feed them. When I hold Iggy I can deffinitely feel some kicking around in her belly. Plus the fact that she was caged with other male guinea pigs when I got her. I want to make sure she's on a healthy diet but at the same time if she is expecting, I want to make sure she isn't starving and getting the food she needs. Also has anybody else ever had this problem with a vet who is possibly not as experienced with guinea pigs/exotic pets as they claim to be?
Below I've attached some more photos that show her shape better while I had her out to feed her some veggies.
f6527ff3be345af3fe281b16ca604442.jpg
10a7863265d419ea286f7decfc4e9d21.jpg
0000513c12b0a855d65b1ecb18d135d8.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She looks pregnant. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

You're pretty much wasting your money seeing a small animal vet with guinea pigs. "Small animal" means dogs and cats, not pocket pets, and you need to find a good exotic vet.

But, a 1 kg pig is not overweight. Most guinea pig pets weigh up to 1300 grams or so, and are perfectly healthy. My own vet rates a 1 kg pig as underweight. Most of the weight values you see on the internet are based on lab animals, not pets.

It's also very difficult for a pig to become overweight. They're herbivores, and getting fat on their diet is like you getting fat eating nothing but salads.

Cierra_95

Cavy Slave
Thank you so very much [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] for all the information you have provided. I read all these posts on here and you seem to be almost like a guinea pig god!
I recently moved from a small town in upstate NY to Dallas TX about 6 months ago. At the vet I brought my guinea pigs to in NY always referred to them as pocket pets rather than small animals as I noticed on the bill I recieved today. That really makes sense now that you mention that. I heard there is another vet nearby that was highly recommended for guinea pigs. I'll have to give them a call ans see what they say Thank you again!

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Cierra_95

Cavy Slave
Yes! I actually just read about them! I'm definitely going to contact them.
I'm trying to decide how far along she is. I've tried feeling for the pelvic bone separating but I'm too afraid of hurting her if I pick her up at this point with how big she is to really be able to tell. I've been able to feel the babies kick. Lately I've been able to feel them move around and kinda roll around in her belly. I'm almost certain I could hear them gnashing teeth also. The past couple days shes been laying around the cage even in the middle of drinking or eating so that leads me to think within a week or two or sooner? Also I've noticed Squeaky following her and trying to stay close to her.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she's really big, don't bother her except to make sure she's not laying in her own urine.

The pups will come when they come -- there's no way to know when.

Cierra_95

Cavy Slave
She had her babies earlier tonight. 4 total and they all seem to be healthy! Thank you again for all the advice [emoji4]
9d6ab297ad72e783cb5ec307636e2e1c.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your new furry family additions! They're very adorable!

Happy to hear that mama and the kids are doing well!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.