Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Best hay feeder?

stayarctic

Cavy Slave
Hey guys! I recently got a hay feeder ((broken link removed)) and I don't really like it. The hay gets everywhere and it seems like a safety hazard because my youngest guinea pig, Miso, is small enough where he can stick his head in the feeder in certain places and I'm very worried his head will get stuck. So, I was wanting to know everyone's favorite hay feeders that they use and where I can buy them! Thank you :)

P.S. While I hate the feeder, it did provide for a cute picture when Miso hopped on top of it:
IMG_5899 2.jpg

Jadyn

Cavy Slave
I just use a litter box for ferrets bc I read that their backs can hurt from reaching up to climb hay all the time

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Hey guys! I recently got a hay feeder ((broken link removed)) and I don't really like it. The hay gets everywhere and it seems like a safety hazard because my youngest guinea pig, Miso, is small enough where he can stick his head in the feeder in certain places and I'm very worried his head will get stuck. So, I was wanting to know everyone's favorite hay feeders that they use and where I can buy them! Thank you :)

P.S. While I hate the feeder, it did provide for a cute picture when Miso hopped on top of it:
View attachment 82706
We use a hand dish tub with a dip cut in the front (not that I really needed to, but I did, and used a fireplace match to melt the edges a bit to get rid of any sharpness from cutting) and an upside down tree stump hidey (because there is only one opening and they were getting a but snarky, we gave it a new purpose!).

Hand dish tub can be purchased many places, I think ours came from Walmart in the discount $1 bin.

Tree stump hidey came from Petsmart.

Please pardon the poop, I swear their cage was completely fresh this morning .... new fleece and all. Haha. The little poop machines don't take long to distroy the place!
603a5d259bc690b5ad0f4d5117910d98.jpg
f5b95f2c48a15a93e888a4b303c1bde4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@stayarctic, you're right that that's not a good hay holder. The danger with wire holders is that pigs can get in them, like yours in the top picture. If they get startled and jump, which they do easily, they can easily break a leg. The kind of tub [MENTION=36657]PiggyGrandma15[/MENTION] uses is safe, and even works better to keep the hay contained.

stayarctic

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I'll get rid of it ASAP! I was thinking of getting one of those cloth hay bags from Etsy (like this one) so it doesn't take up so much floor space and to avoid them going to the bathroom in the hay. Is this a good idea? If other people use these, do you have a recommended seller?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The hay bags are ok as long as the grommets are large enough that the pig's head can't get caught in them. I personally use the same kind of tub shown above.

stayarctic

Cavy Slave
@bpatters For some reason the link of the hay bag didn't work but I'll put a photo below. It doesn't have grommets and just has holes cut in the cloth so I looks like it shouldn't be a hazard! Thoughts?
il_570xN.1176422206_a2ms.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Should be fine.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Just a thought. I found that when I used things that kept the hay up ... our sows would empty then to bury themselves in the hay anyhow. They LIKE to be IN THE hay. Might be worth trying to allow some of that.

stayarctic

Cavy Slave
Just a thought. I found that when I used things that kept the hay up ... our sows would empty then to bury themselves in the hay anyhow. They LIKE to be IN THE hay. Might be worth trying to allow some of that.

Mine seem to enjoy it too.. But if I have it in a dish, they go to the bathroom in it. What's worse: having them eat hay with their own poo and pee in it or not allowing them to play in the hay by keeping it off the ground? :confused:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine don't eat the hay they've peed and pooped on. They pick out the good stuff.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Mine will pull it to the ground to get into it .... regardless of what I do. I just gave in and make sure they have plenty of hay. Some fights aren't worth it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.