Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Up to 20 and how do I keep up

Nicholas Davis

Cavy Slave
Well It all started with Toby and Honey, Both Bought from a flea market stand. Both Turned out to be pregnant and had their babies. That made Baby Toby, Click, Fluffy and Bullet.

So Back at the pet shop I'm there buying food and I see a pig in the box, I ask why he is there and she says nobody wants him his toe is broke from someone picking him up. (Wire Cage Bottom with and open top so any crazy kid can rip the poor pig up while he's holding on for dear life. I can't help myself and already wanted a Boar as the babies were so hard to Sex I couldn't tell. So I took him and Named him Ben.

So the babies are growing and I separate males and Females and give the only Sow Fluffy to a friends girlfriend and show he the ropes. Low and Behold 3 Months later I get a call they Think Fluffy is pregnant as they bought another pig and were told it was female so they don't know how. I sex the Pig and it's a boy and I take Fluffy with me, Fluffy gives birth 2 weeks later to 4 Babies, I haven't even named them honestly.

So in this process My newborn Son gets admitted to the Hospital and I'm losing my head and let my brother and mother stay over to watch the pigs and my chinchilla while I'm away. After starting a Medical Malpractice lawsuit over my Sons treatment at one Hospital and transferring him to Hopkins and him becoming the first baby they could find to need Pyloric Stenosis surgery 3 times(only 1% recurs once they couldn't find any hospital that had it recur twice and this is Johns Hopkins rated (broken link removed) hospital in America forever as I'm from Baltimore)

While I'm there I overhear a family talking, there son had Cancer and there vet just confirmed both there Sows are pregnant and they are never home. I offer to take them until he's finished treatment and care for the babies. At this time I love Pigs and you mine as well just Tattoo it on my forehead because it' become an obsession.

So a few weeks goes by and the have there babies. 5 for one 2 for the other. I'm at 17! One of the babies had a weird deformation in his back. I fell in love but he didn't eat and even after vet visits and force feeding he had what I think was a stroke and passed that night.

So after moving and settling into a new place I notice a case of bullying to the runt so I separate her as she was becoming very thin.(more cage space) Then the time comes to separate boys and girls. And it seemed like these pigs were growing a lot slower than my others. I don't no why.

So Now I have C&C's and huge moving boxes cut to cage status all over the place. Then guess what! I get a call. A friend who knows I love Pigs just picked three up that some morons up the street were getting rid of. THEY JUST LET THEM GO OUTSIDE!!!! I of course Go get them. 1 Boar 2 Sows. Someone else took the boar thankfully! SO You know what that means. Preganant!!

I'm in a very crazy predicament here.. The people from the Hospital only took the adult pigs back saying they would take the others to a shelter. Financially It's tearing me up. Our washer went up so I had to switch back to wood chips from fleece and to keep the smell down I have to change it out every few days instead of once a week like fleece plus cost is more. And Food and Hay, I'm going through 48oz of Hay a week and 20+lbs of food. Honestly If there was funding for a rescue I'd adopt a bunch of pigs who need a home and apply for the funding. But I can't keep it up with 20 Pigs and one still to have babies. I'm so scared they will end up in bad hands like Fluffy did at first so I don't want to let them go but I'm running out of Cash to support them. I Could do 12 but no way 20. If one got sick and passed it around I'd be done for. No way I could afford to take them all. And tonight the one abandoned pig just gave birth to 4 babies! And the other one is ready to pop herself so I know It's coming. What is my best option for these pigs to have a safe home!

Last edited by a moderator:

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you are way over your head. If I were you I would find a local guinea pig rescue and let them know what has happened to see if they are able to take any into their adoption program. There is no 100% guarantee that they will get good homes but with a proper rescue you are giving them the best chance at finding great forever homes.

AmazingPiggie

Cavy Slave
Yeah I agree with @sallyvh
maybe try to get the pigs down to a manageable number.
a rescue is your best bet and maybe put a few listings up on guinea pig zone here.
i hope in the end it all works out all right and owning guineapigs can become a calm experience and not a stressful one again.

skittles3024

Cavy Slave
I wish I stilled lived in Maryland! I would come adopt at least 1 to add to my duo :) I think it is a wonderful thing you have done for those pigs. They are very lucky that you came into their lives. And I hope your son is ok :-\ I agree with the others though. A shelter will be your best bet at finding perfect home for those pigs. Good luck :)

pigger123

Cavy Slave
The Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue doesn't take in private pigs, they only take pigs from shelters. I would recommend rehoming them, but make sure the new owner is a good owner. When I was rehoming my babies I was really strict about the new owner, they had to have a good size cage, know what the right diet was, etc. You could take them to a shelter, but knowing how little my shelter knows about piggies, I would rather rehome them myself.

skittles3024

Cavy Slave
Could you use petfinder?

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
I think a rescue would be a good idea, although I wonder if you could also work with a rescue. I know the rescue I got my boys from (Orange County Cavy Haven) is all foster home based, so maybe you could essentially act as a foster home for your pigs, and the rescue could screen owners and help you adopt them out to good homes?

Alternately, you could look at the contracts rescues use and follow a similar process (they are often available to view/download through the website). I had to fill out a long contract that served to both assure them that I was serious and a good fit, and to really drive home the level of responsibility I was taking on. In addition to a bunch of questions about who would be caring for the pigs, what our lifestyle is like, and other pets we have, the contract stipulated that I would not breed or show the pigs and that I would return them to the rescue should I ever need to give them up. I also had to send them a picture of my cage setup, meet with the foster parents, and pay an adoption fee. Since then, I've had volunteers check in with me. I also have given the foster parents updates, but that wasn't exactly required. Granted, neither of these options would mean immediate help, but it would give you a better guarantee that your pigs are going to good homes.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
The best thing that you can do is give some to the shelter. Then they will have a good chance at getting good homes and you won't have to keep up with calls and emails and people coming over to your house to pick them up if you put them on CL.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Just giving them to any shelter is not the answer though. Many SPCA's and Humane Societies will take guinea pigs but know little to nothing about their care. As I mentioned before, try contacting guinea pig specific rescues first and see what they have to say.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
List them in bonded pairs or groups on the Guinea Pig Zone site and Craig's List. ((broken link removed)). You may also be able to use Petfinder but I'm not sure of the exact rules of that site.

You will also want to look into other guinea pig rescue sites and look at their adoption questionnaires and forums. This will help give you an idea of the types of questions to ask to find good adopters.

I would also take a page from the rescues and ask for photographs of the cage and cage location where the guinea pigs will be living.

Nicholas Davis

Cavy Slave
Well just found 3 babies. One didn't make it, the 2 that did are almost twins and the one that didn't make it would have been the first Cavy I had without any black in it. Brown and white. So pretty it makes me even more upset. She was huge also. Twice the size of the 2 that survived, and bigger than the ones that are a week old from the other girl. I caught her having them when the last one was coming out and the sack was still covering the deceased one's face partially so I'm guessing she was born that way.

When I made this thread it was after a very difficult night. Obviously I took on these pigs to give them a better life so they weren't left for dead in some kids room and found hard a stiff weeks later. I just got a shed. I will be climate controlled by a space heater and a window A/C unit and serve as the pigs house. Hopefully I can purchase a second one so I have one for Sows and one for Boars. I want to make an outdoor C&C with a netted roof to keep any birds and animals out with sod base so I know the grass is clean they will only have access when I let them out.

I can accomplish this but again my issue is day to day funding. What does everyone think of crowdfunding?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think you're better off surrendering some to your local rescue or shelter. Housing them in a shed where you won't be able to monitor them like you would indoors isn't a good idea. Predators can dig under the shed and kill them. The number of guinea pigs you have will keep you from being able to provide one on one with them. Prey animals try and hide illness to protect themselves so you need to be able to note changes in behavior, weight, eating habits, etc. Most of the time, it's subtle signs that clue you in that they might not be well. I wouldn't rely on crowdfunding. If you can't afford to care for them, rehome them.

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure where you get your supplies, but I suggest feed stores or tack stores for hay, pellets, and litter. I call them the Costco of pet supply. Prices will vary and I live in CA so probably more expensive here than elsewhere, but a bale of orchard grass cost me appx $30, and kiln-dried pine shavings pack of 3 cubic ft that expands to 12 cubic ft cost about $10. However, a bale is HUGE (took up the entire back seat of my Accord) and space may be an issue, so plan accordingly. Some stores will sell flakes, which are smaller.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Just giving them to any shelter is not the answer though. Many SPCA's and Humane Societies will take guinea pigs but know little to nothing about their care. As I mentioned before, try contacting guinea pig specific rescues first and see what they have to say.

That's not always true. Animal control in our area doesn't euthanize guinea pigs. If they aren't adopted, they transfer them to multiple rescues.

Nicholas Davis

Cavy Slave
The Shed Will sit on a concrete slab. The shed will be attached to my garage. I don't deny the one on one time. Everyday at dinner I bring 2 in the kitchen playpen and let them run around while I check them over, So it takes 10 days to cycle through. At that time I get their weight. I've checked shelters, Honestly do you guys really think that's a good idea? Small Angels and Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue both say they are not taking surrenders. They were recently hit with a box of I think over 50 pigs left at a school so I think they are overwhelmed even though it's been a bit. And have anyone tried crowd funding? I got $3200 for my sons Medical Bills and $700 for my dogs vet bill when he was sick once. So I believe in it but I don't know how it works for small animals. I will 100% get rid of some I just want them to be happy.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
If there are any more abandoned/released outside metropolitan guinea pig rescue will take those, mgpr.org is their website.

pinky

Cavy Slave
The Shed Will sit on a concrete slab. The shed will be attached to my garage. I don't deny the one on one time. Everyday at dinner I bring 2 in the kitchen playpen and let them run around while I check them over, So it takes 10 days to cycle through. At that time I get their weight. I've checked shelters, Honestly do you guys really think that's a good idea? Small Angels and Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue both say they are not taking surrenders. They were recently hit with a box of I think over 50 pigs left at a school so I think they are overwhelmed even though it's been a bit. And have anyone tried crowd funding? I got $3200 for my sons Medical Bills and $700 for my dogs vet bill when he was sick once. So I believe in it but I don't know how it works for small animals. I will 100% get rid of some I just want them to be happy.

Vet bills for one could run in the hundreds of dollars if one of them needs surgery. Multiple that by more than one being ill and you'd be way over your head. You can get the situation under control by surrendering some of them now and you wouldn't even have to try and raise extra funds.

rebrandynora

Cavy Slave
If you have your own children to take care of, 20 guinea pigs will be way too much. I would seriously contact the animal shelters, or maybe it's time to start a kickstarter fund and actually become a guinea pig rescue yourself. I don't know how that would work, but you would need way more than a shed, and you would still need to find homes for them, as that is what guinea pig rescues are meant to do.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't advocate becoming a rescue. It takes money, time and volunteers/support to be able to manage it. You'd need a reliable exotic vet on hand and funds to provide medical care. A shed would not be adequate housing for them. You'd also have to look at your local zoning ordinances to see if that would be allowed in your area. It's possible that some of your other females might be pregnant so your numbers might even go higher. They could also end up with genetic problems due to inbreeding. It's very easy to feel that only you can provide the care that they need but that thought process is often what leads to hoarding situations. You sound like a thoughtful and caring person. The best thing you can do for them is to give some of them a chance to find another home where they will get unlimited attention. Then, you can devote your time to the few you decide to keep and not have to worry about finding additional funds to cover their expenses.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Thank you for rescuing all these guinea pigs. Your heart is definetly in the right place, but I just don't think 20 guinea pigs is manageable, even with the shed. I like @ginipigsinspace 's idea of working with a rescue. If you explain your situation to a rescue, I'm sure they would be able to help you; they could place some of the pigs in foster homes and list them all in with their adoptables and help find good owners.

If not, www.guineapigzone.com is a good place to list guinea pigs and you can ask potential adopters questions to find out if they are a good adoption candidate. You can draw up a contract with them that says if, for whatever reason they are no longer able to care for the pigs, they will surrender them back to the rescue or to you.

This is the first I've seen of this thread, so maybe you've said it somewhere else, but did you ever treat the piggy with the broken leg? In regards to the big pup that was stillborn, one of my mom's guinea pigs had an accidental litter and one of the babies was big like that. He was easily twice the size of his littermate and looked more like a mini-adult rather than a newborn. He was also stillborn. There's just something about them; I think that maybe their organs are too small for their bodies and they're not able to survive.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.