Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece How long does your fleece last?

PipSqueek

Cavy Slave
I have 3 cages. My old single guy is in a 60x150cm cage and has his fleece cleaned every 4-5 days, my young male pair are in a 75x180cm cage and their fleece is cleaned every 12 days, and my young adult female pair are in a 60x150cm cage which also gets cleaned every 12 days. They're all vacuumed out twice a day. Besides a ton of hair, all of my pigs are pretty clean on the fleece except the older guy who is getting worse with age. For the young male and female pair, I hang their fleece and towels/pads up outside for an hour during floor time about a week into use. I find it lets everything dry out and freshen up a little, without unnecessary washing. The bedding rarely smells of pee or poop, it just has a faint piggy smell.

Delaine

Cavy Slave
One of my girls pees in her house at night so that fleece gets changed every morning and if needed in the evening. I have my cage sectioned into three different areas so I can change out whatever area needs changing, without cleaning the whole cage. The center of the cage usually never gets peed on so it can go for a long time. Do any of your guinea pigs pee in their houses? If so how do you deal with the wet beds? During the day my girls spend most of their time foraging and sleeping in the large hay tray, which I change every evening, so most of the pee and poo gets deposited there.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
7 days with 2 girls in a 2x5 using 2 layers of towels, and that's pushing it. Ideally I would like to clean it every 5 days.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
One of my girls pees in her house at night so that fleece gets changed every morning and if needed in the evening. I have my cage sectioned into three different areas so I can change out whatever area needs changing, without cleaning the whole cage. The center of the cage usually never gets peed on so it can go for a long time. Do any of your guinea pigs pee in their houses? If so how do you deal with the wet beds? During the day my girls spend most of their time foraging and sleeping in the large hay tray, which I change every evening, so most of the pee and poo gets deposited there.

I don't have actual hidy houses anymore. Instead I use my fleece and create hidys. I try to make sure they can hide and at the same time have a ventilated hidy. I have 2 fleece forests downstairs and bunk beds upstairs

amys_guineas

Cavy Slave
when i used to have a c&c cage, used to spot check each day and change it about every 4-5 days and that was with 4 pigs:)

PipSqueek

Cavy Slave
Do any of your guinea pigs pee in their houses? If so how do you deal with the wet beds? During the day my girls spend most of their time foraging and sleeping in the large hay tray, which I change every evening, so most of the pee and poo gets deposited there.

My girls are prone to peeing in their houses. I use a plastic hidey over their kitchen area and scoop it out daily, and then they have 'tents' over their fleece. For the tents, which is where they pee, I made 3 'pads' for the bottom which consists of 1 layer of waterproof table cloth, 2 layers of thick towel, and 1 layer of fleece on top. I change them out every 1-2 days and that keeps the fleece underneath dry, and the girls happy and clean. It drains away the pee quickly so they don't end up sitting in it, and the top later stays dry.

ashleykaileen

Cavy Slave
do y'all throw away the fleece and put down a new one or just wash it and reuse it? I'm new to the c&c cage, I'm in the process of building a 2x6 with a 2x1 upper level, I just adopted 3 females last week :)

iMariaRainbowz

Cavy Slave
I wash and reuse. Occasionally, I'll throw one out if it's really dirty.

BedfordCavies

Cavy Slave
do y'all throw away the fleece and put down a new one or just wash it and reuse it? I'm new to the c&c cage, I'm in the process of building a 2x6 with a 2x1 upper level, I just adopted 3 females last week :)

We reuse. It's the great thing about using fleece. I have 2 fleece liners. One in the cage, and one clean and ready to go. :)

iMariaRainbowz

Cavy Slave
We reuse. It's the great thing about using fleece. I have 2 fleece liners. One in the cage, and one clean and ready to go. :)

I have about 3-4 fleece blankets for both of my two cages, haha. I don't wash them all at once though. I like to have at least one clean per cage.

piggiewiggie

Cavy Slave
u can wash the fleece but don't put any fabric softer . The softer will mess it up.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Mine lasted 16 days at LONGEST.

I change it every 7 days though. It only goes longer when I'm ill.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.