Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General New and have a couple questions about gpigs

Lexie

Cavy Slave
So I was thinking of getting either one or 2 guinea pigs and have a couple questions that people can hopefully answer.
1 how much does it cost to own a guinea pig each month?
2 if there is a guinea pig food that has timothy hay as first ingredient and says has lots of vitamin c in it, do I still need to buy vitamin c tablets and gay?
3 are these guys loud at night? They would go on my room under my bed. So I don't want noise, I'm a very light sleeper.
Oh and if you guys think I should consider a different animal, please tell me!

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! This is a great place to get your info about guinea pigs. :)

First of all, definitely get 2 (make sure they're the same gender, as pregnancies are very dangerous for guinea pigs) since guinea pigs are social herd animals and do much better with a friend. And always adopt from a shelter or rescue, never a pet store! Pet store pigs often have medical issues, which can range from mites to pregnancy, and buying from a pet store promotes selling of live animals which are often kept and bred in bad conditions.

1. I don't know exactly, but they're not cheap. Always remember that guinea pigs can also have really expensive vet bills, so you would need to be prepared to spend a lot on them.

2. You don't really need vitamin C tablets as long as your pigs have high-quality plain pellets with stabilized vitamin C, and appropriate amounts of fresh vegetables every day. Guinea pigs always need unlimited high quality grass hay available, 24/7! It is essential to their digestive systems and helps keep their teeth trimmed. They also need a cup of veggies per pig, per day: such as romaine or leaf lettuce, bell pepper, small amounts of carrot, etc.

3. Noise level vary from pig to pig. Mine only really makes a ton of noise when she thinks she's getting her veggies, but some guinea pigs might be louder.

Some other things you should know:
•They need at least 7.5 square feet of cage space for one pig, and 2 more square feet for each additional pig. Pet store cages are almost always way to small for even one guinea pig! Do them a favor and build a C&C cage. Did you say they would live under your bed? I'm sorry, but that is a terrible place to keep guinea pigs.
Never use cedar bedding, as it contains phenols which are risky to their sensitive respiratory systems. Also avoid pine bedding unless it says that it's kiln-dried.
•They need a knowledgeable vet who specializes in exotics, and you need to find a good vet before you need one, as guinea pigs can go downhill very fast.
•They are not low-maintenance pets! Please don't get guinea pigs thinking they'll be easy and inexpensive to take care of.

Guinea pigs are wonderful pets, but they're not for everyone. If you think you are capable of taking great care of them, go for it!

Last edited:

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
1. Guinea pigs can be expensive pets. They are prone to health problems (stones, cysts, etc..)as they age that can be quite expensive. I've spent over $5,000 in the past year on vet expenses alone. I spend $20-$25 each week on fresh veggies. Hay and pellets aren't that expensive if you buy them from an online supplier. You can get several months worth of pellets and hay for around $50. Fleece is the cheapest bedding, but I use paper (because I can't wash the fleece) and it costs me about $25 a week to change their bedding.

2. It really is best to offer Vit C tablets to ensure your pig is getting enough Vit C. My vet always recommends using them.

3. Young pigs are very vocal. They tend to become quieter as they age, but they are still noisy. I'm a deep sleeper and they wake me up at least once or twice a night. I haven't had a good nights sleep in over 5 years now. If you are worried about noise than I would say pigs are not for you.

Lexie

Cavy Slave
When I said under my bed, what I meant was that I have bunk beds, and was going to convert the bottom bunk into a cage, so they would have a cage that is over six feet long, 4feet wide, and 2 feet tall

CavyLover00

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs can be around 20-30$ monthly. This includes timothy hay, food (must contain dried fruits and timothy hay based pellets!), bedding (Don't use cedar or pine! Use carefresh, fleece, or any recycled paper or cardboard.) as well as some occasional treats and toys
Having 2 piggies is a must. Get the same genders, do not neuter males!
And finally, i must say that my piggy is not loud at night. They do not run on wheels, but you will hear the constant water bottle sucking and food in the bowl moving around as well as them shuffling through their bedding, and my guinea pig likes to drag her igloo around where she wants to sleep that night, so that can be noisy.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs can be around 20-30$ monthly. This includes timothy hay, food (must contain dried fruits and timothy hay based pellets!)

It doesn't have to contain dried fruits. In fact, dried fruits are high in sugar I would stay away from food with dried fruits. Also, if the pig is under 6 mos you'll want an alfalfa based pellet (but still unlimited timothy hay).

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
hi

i spend about 70 dollars a month on my four guinea pigs (not including vet bills, or cage set up). the prices will vary depending on how available the products are (for example, if you can find bales of timothy hay in your area it is much less costly then ordering online.)

my guinea pigs mostly sleep at night, but sometimes they like to chase each other around and bump into their cages and dishes. they usually only squeal when they hear the produce bags rustling. i am a heavy sleeper, so it doesn't bother me, but they wake my husband up from the next room sometimes.

if you're a light sleeper, never get a hamster, because they run on their wheels all night.

goodluck, and pigger123 had some really good advice for you.

CavyLover00

Cavy Slave
i didn't mean to put dried fruit :p but yeah and i forgot alfalfa for babies because they need it. Thanks for correcting me, i could have given Lexie the wrong idea!

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Fresh fruit should only be given sparingly once or twice a week at most and dried fruit should never be given. Babies do not need alfalfa they need calcium. Long strand grass hay should be available at all times. Babies can be supplemented with calcium by alfalfa hay but only in addition to Timothy, orchard, bluegrass, or brome. They can also be supplemented with alfalfa pellets or a few sprigs of parsley a day instead of alfalfa hay. Any surgery carries risks but a very competent vet who has performed many cavy neuters along with proper post surgery care greatly reduces the risk of the surgery itself.

juliax0

Cavy Slave
As long as you take care of them well, they shouldn't be too expensive. Please don't make the same mistake I did and buy them from the pet store as mine came with an abscess that costs over $1000 to remove in both piggies.

You can buy a huge bag of pellets for $25 and it'll last you two months. A huge bag of hay is $20 and will last you three months although it's cheaper to go to your local farm and buy it there. Vitamin C tablets aren't super essential but make sure it's at least found in their daily diets. They are only loud when they wheek or run around really fast but for the most part, they make quiet squeaky sounds you probably won't hear.

I'm not sure why you are keeping them under your bed but my best advice to you is to allow them floor time, where you guinea pig proof a large space so they can run around free range and get their exercise. Guinea pigs are prone to obesity so it's important for their well being to get floor time. I highly recommend you get two guinea pigs. After they warm up to you, they will steal your heart when they come up to you and show you unconditional love. It really is a rewarding experience once you've gained these easily frightened creature's trust. Good luck

pigger123

Cavy Slave
When I said under my bed, what I meant was that I have bunk beds, and was going to convert the bottom bunk into a cage, so they would have a cage that is over six feet long, 4feet wide, and 2 feet tall

Ooooh, sorry I was mean about it then :)

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a guinea pig who I adopted perfectly healthy as a baby but due to fighting with a cage mate and issues with bladder stones has cost me over $2,000 in vet bills, and he's only two years old. You can never know how much a pet will really cost regardless of how well you care for them.
I use disposable bedding, care fresh, which costs close to $60 a month, fresh veggies maybe $10-15 a week and Timothy hay I buy online for about $40 or so a month. One of my pigs is pellet free and supplements cost $10 a month and the pellets for my other are $15 and last more than a month not sure exactly how long. These are estimates but probably close.
Usually it's recommended to get two pigs not just one, but some rescues may have singles who just don't get along with other pigs if you must have only one. It is rare though so it's generally easier to get a pair for happier pigs.
Noise levels vary but generally they are loud. If you are a light sleeper I think you will be unhappy having them in your room. I would not keep mine in my bedroom and I can hear them from the living room in my bedroom. When they were babies especially I could hear them in my building outside of my apartment. They really can be quite loud!

Best of luck in deciding on your pets!

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
good luck with your pigs when you get them.
they are quite expensive i have to say but they are well worth the money...
they bring me so much joy.
:D
i sleep in the room where my pigs are and if you give them some hay at night just before you go to bed that keeps them quiet through out the night. At least thats what i've found.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
forgot to say in my last post that i'm a light sleeper as well and i sleep through the guinea pigs all right and i have no sight.
so my hearing is realy sensitive
which can be a pain sometimes
but the pigs bed down for the night when i do and i don't hear them wheek till my alarm goes off. Then it all goes mental after that
i have very excited cavies in the morning as they get their 1st bowl of veg at half 6 after my dog has been fed.

CavyLover00

Cavy Slave
i sleep in the room where my pigs are and if you give them some hay at night just before you go to bed that keeps them quiet through out the night. At least thats what i've found.

My piggy loves to make alot of noise when she eats hay! it's the loudest thing she does at night! But i am a heavy sleeper, so it doesn't bother me!

Red5Iam

Cavy Slave
My girls live in my room, and I can sleep through them as a mid-ground sleeper. They are noisier on some occasions than on others but overall are just fine. But honestly I think that is going to be one of those things that really depends on the pigs you wind up with. But if you're a light sleeper and the idea of earplugs every night doesn't appeal to you, I wouldn't recommend keeping them below your bed.

I think everyone else has answered everything else

slynnski

Cavy Slave
I have to agree with what everyone else said and also reiterate that guinea pigs are not low-maintenance pets at all, like most people think them to be. They need daily floor time (at least an hour a day), frequent cage cleanings because they are naturally messy, can have expensive health issues and need a variety of things to eat daily that are crucial to their health and well-being (hay, pellets, veggies, etc).

Also, you need to be aware that guinea pigs are not lap pets like dogs and cats are. They are naturally skittish and scared. Expect them to run and be scared of you. But with a time and patience, they will warm up to you and learn to enjoy being held, snuggled, and pet. It takes time though, so if you are wanting a pet to cuddle right away, guinea pigs may not be right for you.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
i wouldn't keep them under your bead...
poor pigs...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.