Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay If it isn't oxbow....

Kristine

Cavy Slave
I've found foxtail in our Kaytee hay a few times and poor Zeus had a piece of it lodged in his eye that required emergency vet care. I now use a no-brand hay that is sold at our feed store and the quality is far far better!

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
I buy big bales of horse hay from the local feed store. It's a combination of orchard and meadow grass with some timothy hay mixed in. It's outstanding and it's 7 dollars a bale. So worth it. I store it in big trash cans and it looks fabulous, smells fantastic and is much better quality than anything that I've had delivered from oxbow or KMS. Good luck and I hope that your local hay is exactly what you're looking for!

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I buy big bales of horse hay from the local feed store. It's a combination of orchard and meadow grass with some timothy hay mixed in. It's outstanding and it's 7 dollars a bale. So worth it. I store it in big trash cans and it looks fabulous, smells fantastic and is much better quality than anything that I've had delivered from oxbow or KMS. Good luck and I hope that your local hay is exactly what you're looking for!

I'd love to be able to go pick out my hay but I'm far away from any feed store. Lucky.

NM_MOM

Cavy Slave
Thank you! What a great idea about the trash can. How big of a can do you use?

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
The KayTee hay I get in the typical bag is delicious meadow grass. I live in fertile Eastern NC so we have a better selection of hay due to all of the farms around here and I haven't been disappointed this year. I even get these bags from WalMart. I have had horses my entire life so I know what good hay vs. bad hay looks like, smells like and even sounds like.

I have NEVER gotten a good bag of OxBow. It's always yellow, stiff, straw-like nonsense that my ladies won't touch and I pay almost three times the amount of KayTee hay. However, my number one preference for good hay is taken straight from the horses' mouth (well, sort of). The hay my gelding eats at his farm in Charlotte, NC is also deliciously sweet and fresh hay, so when I'm home, I get small bales for free.

I'd also like to point out that considering the dry nature of hay, I'd be interested to know if it's even possible to dye hay... I'm gonna have to go ahead and guess that it isn't. I don't know about the rest of KayTee products but their hay is really just fine.

If you take two seconds to go on their website, you'll see that they just say they dye their hay. I posed a DIRECT quote from their pages.
You shouldn't decide what's okay, because of your "guess ".

Typing something into Google is easy, fast, and you end up with actual facts for the advice you give.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
does anyone know anything about Jojo's Best hay? I have been currently feeding it because it is cheaper than Oxbow so I bought a 9lbs of it and I'm really impressed with it. it is so green and really long. It is Orchard grass though i dont feed timothy. when i had 9lbs of oxbow orchard grass it was not as green as the jojos best and my girls like it. so i think im going to stick to it.

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
I use two of the really big 30 gallon ones, because it's a real bale, I mean, it's 50 pounds easy. And that was always the size I ordered from Oxbow or KMS as well. It's a 1 time investment, so I thought it was worth it. When I first get the bale home, I cut it open (If you order it, it's usually wrapped in plastic, if you buy it from the feed store, mine is bound with wire). Then I can go through it, making sure that there's no damp or mildewed parts. If I find something I question, I toss it out, better safe than sorry. When I'm done, I usually have two completely full trash cans and a little bit of hay all over the floor, but I toss the hay on the floor and the stuff in the trash cans lasts me a couple of months. It gets to breath and air out and I get the satisfaction of knowing that I won't get mice in my hay. I keep it in our mud room, and fill up a store bought kitty litter pan once or twice a day, carry it inside, fill the hay racks from it, take the rest back out to the cans. Works out perfect for me.

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
If you take two seconds to go on their website, you'll see that they just say they dye their hay. I posed a DIRECT quote from their pages.
You shouldn't decide what's okay, because of your "guess ".

Typing something into Google is easy, fast, and you end up with actual facts for the advice you give.

I actually did Google the subject, with many different search queries. The only information I found was regarding their coloring seeds, which I also posted. And, as I also ALSO said, I've found something that works for ME and I'm glad that I have. "Different floats for different folks" was my wording, I believe.
I'm sorry if I came across as pushy or something you found distasteful, that wasn't my intention. I was just sharing my speculation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.