Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

baby boys in western pa

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
So where do I start here...
last night Wheek care, the rescue nearest me (the one with the Pignic two weeks ago) put on Facebook that they received a message about some pigs in need at Meyers pickle farm, which is a huge farm with a pumpkin patch and they grow all sorts of veggies and herbs. The message is below:

Hey. So. We were just out at Meyers picking pumpkins and I was hearing guinea pig scared screams. Well. I go over to their porch and there is this disgusting rotten falling down cage (the size of what we had for one) full (like at least 25) of guinea pigs. They were selling them for $10 each. They were all screaming. They could literally not move. On top of each other. Out in the porch in the cold and wind. I was horrified. I went over to the lady at the pay station and asked her if she left them out and she said 'they are supposed to be inside but we leave them outside'. I told her that they will die in the cold and that there were way too many in that disgusting cage and got a blank stare back. I am absolutely horrified. Do you know what I should do? Is there someplace like a local rescue that I can report this to? It was so sad. Complete abuse and I don't know what to do?!?!? I should have taken pictures. &(broken link removed) 8549;

so so the rescue calls and says something along the lines of "our friend said you have guinea pigs, we want to buy them all for Christmas presents" and purchased "all" 18 "mixed boy and girl" pigs for $150. (Not full price)
when they showed up for pickup the cage/hutch was empty, there was apparently never any bedding in it, and the 18 "newborn" (4 month old) pigs were in cardboard boxes. All with minor injuries like scrapes cuts and bites, a little underfed, and very wild.Fighting with each other and not having anything to do with the humans. The farm said they didn't mind the discount for the big purchase because "they breed like rats".
The rescue takes them back and sexes them all to find 18/18 boys.
That means the farm kept the sows, which are all probably pregnant. So this morning someone else called and will be picking up 9 girl pigs, supposedly all the farm has.

UUUUGH

the rescue already had about 100 pigs in house and more at foster homes, so there was no room. I volunteered to take two and ended up fostering (broken link removed) and (broken link removed) . (Calling them cookie and cream) someone else took (broken link removed) and is calling him pineapple because he keeps turning himself upside down. (broken link removed) 7,9,10,and 11 are troublemakers because they keep picking fights with each other. These pigs are not familiar with veggies but will chew on anything they haven't seen before, which is everything.

So so if anyone in or near western pa (new Kensington, Indiana, Pittsburgh) wants one of the boys let me know. They aren't officially up for adoption quite yet as we want to make sure they are as healthy as they seem. My boys poops look great.

Last I checked the rest of the boys are split with the troublemakers in a 2x3 c+c together, 4 pigs in a 2'isx4'ish cage, 2 smallest in a 2'x2 1/2' cage, and the rest (5 that weren't fostered yet) in a 2x3 c+c.

No clue whether or not the "girls" have been picked up yet.

image.jpg

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Update:
the farm "don't have any girls on the property at the moment but we can get them within a couple days" so there's probably a backyard breeder involved, the rescue thinks it knows who/where that breeder might be.

Cookie and cream got tame really quickly, they don't want to be picked up but once you have them they snuggle. Cookie likes to stay on my chest while cream wants to ride my shoulders. Both love to hide inside the hay bag.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Thank goodness the rescue got them, It would be wonderful if they could stop that breeder. Kudos to you for fostering Cookie and Cream. :)

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
The boyfriend and I were originally going to take two of the adoptable pigs to foster so that there was room for the babies to be adopted out, but the boys we were going to get were going to be a foster fail since A. Has a soft spot for Abbys, so we took the two babies instead.

Secretly hoping they get adopted quickly so that I don't fall in love with them too much, plus if they got adopted quickly we could foster 2 more. I will only really be able to foster until a little before Christmas unless I bring the boars to philly for a week

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
They're all so precious. What a sad situation. You're awesome for helping and fostering!

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Good Luck on not falling in love with them. :eek:

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
OMGosh, that breaks my heart. Unfortunately, I live in Lancaster County and my car barely gets me to and from work. I hate hearing stories like that. Bless you for helping out and like Lisa325 said, good luck with not falling in love with them. I could never foster any living thing because I would fall in love immediately.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
@koalamissy if you ever fall in love with a pig from Wheek care I could transport to you when I visit my parents.

Honestly Lisa the boyfriend A. Is already in love with them, and I yell at him for it. First thing when he gets home "hello boys! How have you bubs been today?" Then he greets our girls, then me. So *sigh*

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
@koalamissy if you ever fall in love with a pig from Wheek care I could transport to you when I visit my parents.

That is so sweet of you!! I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
lol @ the boyfriend, you're relegated to 3rd place. At least you know he has a good heart and is kind to animals :love:

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
He's kinder to the animals than to me, but he is definitely a goodie. Going into the navy in January.

17/18 of the boys including mine are cleared healthy enough to adopt out.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Great news for 17, I hope they all find wonderful forever homes :). Will (broken link removed) be ok with treatment?

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
I forget what number the runt is, he just needs some extra love

Hiliscion42

Cavy Slave
They are really cute I like them so much!!!!

PalswithPiggies

Cavy Gazer
What happened to the females?

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
I forgot to update that both boys were adopted together late December.
We only got boys, and after digging for girls we believe the "farm" they came from got the guinea pigs from a backyard breeder, who is apparently very good at sexing.

Wu Xu

Cavy Gazer
Can you tell me where in PA this is at? I would like to see if i can go there and adopt one. I have 3 piggys right now, 2 females and a male. Hoping to get my male a roomy ��

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Aww! I really wished I lived in Pennsylvania :( I've been looking frantically for a friend for Flyn, who just recently lost his previous buddy. Such a sad story; I can't believe someone would do that to all of those poor, innocent piggies.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Wheek care is in new Kensington pa near Pittsburgh, and HALT rescue is in Philadelphia. Little fur balls rescue is also near Philadelphia in the harleysville area. [MENTION=39125]Wu Xu[/MENTION]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.