Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Does she want to live alone?

katiebby21

Cavy Slave
I have two female guinea pigs around the same age.
They came to the rescue center together, although not related.
They apparently were bonded, but I don't know.
Piggie 1 is so wild and loud. Piggie 2 is shy and quiet.
Piggie 1 never seems to let Piggie 2 eat, so she hides in her igloo all day and night.
Sometimes they get in little disagreements, but nothing ever serious.
I always have to end up feeding piggie 2.
She seems really unhappy..

Should I try to get her a new cage mate? Or would she like to live alone..?
I'm so confused.

pinky

Cavy Slave
How big is the cage? They might need more space to feel comfortable. I adopted one last year and paired her with another female. It didn't seem to work and I thought she wanted to be alone. Recently, I moved my neutered male into a cage with my senior male and moved the loner female in with two other females. (One was her former cagemate.) It was a good match. The loner is the boss and they all seem happy, (although I can tell the neutered male misses the girls.)

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'd help them work through this. Lots of questions. Is your cage big enough? Do they get out for floor time and how do they get along? Do you have plenty of hideys with two exits (boxes will do), does the shy pig get enough hay and veggies if the other hogs it? I would not separate unless there is blood shed. Sometimes one pig will just be very dominant and you need to make sure the less dominant is not being harmed, is eating well, and has enough space of her own so they are not constantly in each others' faces.

katiebby21

Cavy Slave
My cage is a 2x4 c&c cage.

katiebby21

Cavy Slave
Like I said, my cage is 2x4.
I have three hidey houses.

The wild one won't let the shy one eat, but whenever I could I feed her hay and stuff in her hideyhouse.

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
First off your avatar picture is adorable! Second, why don't you have two places containing food? Have two hay racks/bowls, two pellet bowls, and two water bottles. I would put one of each on each end of the cage. Pig #1 won't be able to guard both, and Pig #2 will get to eat. I hope this helps you! lol

Last edited:

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Good idea to have two of everything. Feeding one while the other is out for floortime is good. Or a temporary partition of cardboard with food and a pig on each end of the cage for mealtime. Sometimes a shy pig becomes more brave if she has had a chance to eat without competition from the bully.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Good idea to have two of everything. Feeding one while the other is out for floortime is good. Or a temporary partition of cardboard with food and a pig on each end of the cage for mealtime. Sometimes a shy pig becomes more brave if she has had a chance to eat without competition from the bully.

Ditto this. My shy one definitely grew in confidence and with time was not afraid to stand up for himself for that last piece of lettuce. Give it some time.

I hope things start to improve for you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.