Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Looking for upright vacuum

lennier1

Cavy Slave
I always end up getting paper bedding and hay outside of my cage. I've been using a Bissell Powerforce Compact vacuum to clean up, but I hate it. It gets clogged up all the time, and it's a lot of work to clear it out. I think I'm just going to buy a new upright vacuum, but can anyone suggest something that would work well? I searched some old messages and someone recommended a Eureka Airspeed, but didn't specify which variety--their website lists 8 different kinds.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I'm horrible with vacuums and am guilty of killing a couple of bissell ones with hay and shavings...

However I currently have an upright Bagless Eureka that I love! I'm not sure the exact model (I can check it in the morning) but it is excellent. Super easy to clean and empty plus It has amazing sucking power. I bought it over a year ago at Walmart I belive, it was around $140.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@sallyvh please do let us know, I've killed the rug beater on my canister vacuum with hay. I bought a rechargeable stick vac (dirt devil) but it isn't strong enough to suck up hay.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
I absolutely adore my dyson. Expensive as sin (thank goodness my mom felt generous that holiday season!) It is my regular vac, but with the on board attachments it makes for easy sneak around the corners. Ours is about 7 years old or so and still going strong (knocks on every piece of wood within reach). My mom went through a streak of a vac every couple of weeks dying - she had 3 shedding german shepherds and a cat at that point in time so animal hair GALORE. She bought her dyson and it is still going 8 or so years later.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have a Dyson pet hair vac and a Shark. I like the Shark better because the canister detatches and it becomes a hand vac. I think it's just as powerful as my Dyson but much more lightweight and easier to maneuver.

Shawna Driggers

Cavy Slave
We have a Shark and I don't think I'll ever own another brand. With us having siberian huskies and a german shepherd, I vacuum A LOT! We have gone through 3 Dysons before finally switching and the Shark works just as good as the day I bought it. The attachment works awesome for cleaning piggy cages!

pinky

Cavy Slave
We have a Shark and I don't think I'll ever own another brand. With us having siberian huskies and a german shepherd, I vacuum A LOT! We have gone through 3 Dysons before finally switching and the Shark works just as good as the day I bought it. The attachment works awesome for cleaning piggy cages!
I agree. I don't even use my Dyson anymore.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
I apparently am the opposite, I've had shark vacuums, could pay me to use one again. Oh well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I apparently am the opposite, I've had shark vacuums, could pay me to use one again. Oh well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I know there's a lot of different Shark models. I have the Deluxe Rocket Tru Pet. It has a larger canister and is more powerful than my Dyson Big ball animal vac. What I like the best is that it's lightweight and instantly can be converted to a hand vac. Makes vacuuming the stairs a breeze and is really easy to store.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
My grandma had one of those, didn't last her long at all.

pinky

Cavy Slave

My Dyson hose kept clogging up and lost much of its suction power. It's so heavy, I had a hard time lugging it around. We had new carpet installed in July and they recommended Shark over Dyson.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Based on these recommendations and some online reviews, I've just ordered a Shark. I've been looking for one for a while. I'll let you know how it cleans.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Based on these recommendations and some online reviews, I've just ordered a Shark. I've been looking for one for a while. I'll let you know how it cleans.
It's the best vacuum I've ever owned. The pet one has really good suction and a lot of different attachments. We have carpeting in some rooms, tile in our family room and kitchen and wood stairs and it cleans all those surfaces. When we ordered our carpet, they told us that the brushes on the Dyson can damage some carpets but that the Shark won't do that. One of the attachments is really good for the wooden stairs and floors. It has a long cord and when you remove the canister to turn it into a hand vac, it makes cleaning the guinea pig room a breeze. It's so lightweight and compact, I can fit it between my computer armoire and the wall. It also comes with hanger you can attach to the wall if you want to do that. I bought mine at Kohl's when it was on sale and I had a 30% off coupon.

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
Just reading through this thread, does everyone move their piggies to another room when using this vacuum to clean the case? I feel like this would give them a heart attack. I use a little dust pan and brush but that's getting real old real fast.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Just reading through this thread, does everyone move their piggies to another room when using this vacuum to clean the case? I feel like this would give them a heart attack. I use a little dust pan and brush but that's getting real old real fast.

I don't vacuum in my cage. I sweep or shake out my fleece. I vacuum around it, though, and it doesn't bother them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I vacuum in and around the cage, and it doesn't bother them in the least. I have to push at least one pig out of the way because she's so interested in the vacuum cleaner nozzle.

zachdwayne

Cavy Slave
So here's the thing: I've owned a lot of vacuums. A LOT. And until a couple of years ago, there was no contest: My(broken link removed) was by far the best vacuum I'd ever owned. It met an untimely demise when I unknowingly used it to suck up asbestos dust. After that, I owned two Hoover WindTunnels, and what I found was that Hoover was closing the gap... their newer model WindTunnels were really excellent vacuums. One of them, the Hoover WindTunnel Max Pet Plus, even added a long, retractable cord-- something I'd always wanted on my Dyson.

LizzysPiggies

Cavy Slave
It's the best vacuum I've ever owned. The pet one has really good suction and a lot of different attachments. We have carpeting in some rooms, tile in our family room and kitchen and wood stairs and it cleans all those surfaces. When we ordered our carpet, they told us that the brushes on the Dyson can damage some carpets but that the Shark won't do that. One of the attachments is really good for the wooden stairs and floors. It has a long cord and when you remove the canister to turn it into a hand vac, it makes cleaning the guinea pig room a breeze. It's so lightweight and compact, I can fit it between my computer armoire and the wall. It also comes with hanger you can attach to the wall if you want to do that. I bought mine at Kohl's when it was on sale and I had a 30% off coupon.
Hello!!! Sorry to pull up this thread again, but I was wondering what model you bought, and if it is still working like you said earlier? I would really like to know as I'm looking into buying a nice vacuum as an investment. My mom hates me using the one we use for the rest of the house. She says the hay takes up too much room. [emoji23] I'm looking more for something to vacuum around the cage with, but if I find it works well in the cage, I may do that to save some time and effort...

Thanks so much!
Elizabeth, Starbucks, and Dunkin!!!
[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji194] [emoji194] [emoji194]

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

pinky

Cavy Slave
Hello!!! Sorry to pull up this thread again, but I was wondering what model you bought, and if it is still working like you said earlier? I would really like to know as I'm looking into buying a nice vacuum as an investment. My mom hates me using the one we use for the rest of the house. She says the hay takes up too much room. [emoji23] I'm looking more for something to vacuum around the cage with, but if I find it works well in the cage, I may do that to save some time and effort...

Thanks so much!
Elizabeth, Starbucks, and Dunkin!!!
[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji194] [emoji194] [emoji194]

I use it all the time and don't even use my Dyson anymore. The thing I like the best about the Shark is how lightweight it is. The extra attachments are a big plus and the long cord makes it easy to do the stairs and multiple rooms without unplugging it to move it. Best vacuum I've ever owned...

LizzysPiggies

Cavy Slave
I use it all the time and don't even use my Dyson anymore. The thing I like the best about the Shark is how lightweight it is. The extra attachments are a big plus and the long cord makes it easy to do the stairs and multiple rooms without unplugging it to move it. Best vacuum I've ever owned...
That's awesome! What model is it?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.