Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flags List of breeders, feel free to add

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
At one point they were using the same picture. And the contact info was the same if i remember correctly. At any rate, they are breeding them and think they are called assyrian instead of abyssinian. You should really not be breeding something you don't know the name of.

[MENTION=8916]piggymommy[/MENTION]89 There is no such thing as an assyrian guinea pig. They either spelled it wrong or don't know what they are talking about.

That was precisely my point dear. I have been keeping guinea pigs for 16 years, so i am well aware of what the breeds are. My point is that if you insist on calling yourself a breeder you should at least know what you're breeding. This person clearly does not.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much [MENTION=31451]pigmommy89[/MENTION]! For once when I followed my gut I was right! ;)

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
@piggymommy89 Oh sorry I just re-read it and realized you said that they thought it was called assyrian. I thought you said that you thought it was assyrian. My bad!! :0 :)

piggy_slave88

Cavy Slave
Definitely a breeder. They say this boar isn't fitting in with the other males in their "caviary." (broken link removed)

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Flagged, thank you.

And a side note: I hate it when people list animals with a condition rating. An "excellent condition" guinea pig? I don't know why, but that makes me uncomfortable.

piggy_slave88

Cavy Slave
Another breeder: (broken link removed) I contacted them inquiring about these guinea pigs. She stated that she planned to breed them, but didn't want to breed a skinny to a texel so is selling these to get a pedigreed pair to breed.

Einstein

Cavy Slave
Flagged, thank you.

And a side note: I hate it when people list animals with a condition rating. An "excellent condition" guinea pig? I don't know why, but that makes me uncomfortable.

It's just a livestock thing, and if they're breeding they're probably treating them like livestock. If you're selling a cow that is thin or fat you'd want to note it, or if it has poor fur, or bad hooves, or is having issues with mastitis or whatever you'd note. Excellent condition is just to say "healthy weight, no diseases, no parasites"

granted, it is weird to say excellent condition when you could just say they're healthy.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Exactly, Kenna. Like, what if they rated it "fair condition?" What would that mean?

Flagged, thank you.

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
I hate it when a guinea pig is listed "being retired" because she isn't breeding anymore :( Basically, they are getting rid of their guinea pig because she cannot/shouldn't breed. This, to me, is sick! They are being treated like machines, when not functioning, tossed away.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
At least they are looking for new homes for the retired ones. A lot of breeders would just kill them without a second thought. I know of a family that was breeding dogs. This was years ago, so I don't remember all the details, but here's what I do remember. One of their females ended up having mixed breed puppies by accident. These people drowned the puppies and then shot the mother because they said she could never produce pure pups again after that.

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Are you serious! KILL THEM! :mad: Sometimes I don't like humans

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
@LoveMyHerdI don't know, really. If it was a breeder they could be referring to the "quality" of the breed, or maybe the age of a pig. In any event, it's weird to list them with a condition rating. One breed or age of guinea pig isn't necessarily "higher quality" than another [MENTION=8916]piggymommy[/MENTION]89Ugh, that's sick! Another reason why backyard breeders shouldn't exist.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.