Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Wood pellets + 1 layer of fleece - washing machine question?

Krymle

Cavy Slave
I'm really hoping to get a couple of guinea pigs sometime in august/september, maybe.

Anyways, i was thinking of using wood pellets with a single layer of fleece on top, as i read bpatters recommended. I would have to use my apartment blocks washing machines - which i never thought i could, mostly because you cant use your own detergent, and i dont think the other people using the machines would appreciate hay or their fur. I would have to be extremely careful to get all of it off. You can only choose fabric softener, colors, whites on a little screen. BUT i was thinking that maybe i could use those laundry bags, you use for your delicates, or something like that, to get the reamaining fur from getting in the machine. And maybe just putting cups of bleach and vinegar inside the machine with the clothes? Would this work? I know to so no to softener, but should i choose colors or whites? Does it matter? The detergent they use is 100% free from all the stuff.. parfume, parabens, etc, so all people in the building can use the machines.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need to wash it in the hottest water and strongest detergent you can find, and I use bleach.

You can put the fleece in king-sized pillow cases and close them with elastic hair bands, like you'd use for a pony tail. That absolutely keeps the hair and pellet stuff out of the washer, and it's easier to shake it off the fleece after it's been washed.

Krymle

Cavy Slave
So you mean the all 100% free from parfumes, etc, stuff is not strong enough? Maybe i can say no to the detergent as well.

The pillow case idea is great. Solves that problem. :)

And you mean it is fine to just add the bleach(and maybe stronger detergent) inside with the clothes, not in the little slots like normal machines?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Most washers have a place where you put the bleach in. If not, you'd have to run a good bit of water in the machine before you add the clothes. Fleece is pretty indestructible, but undiluted bleach might eat holes in it.

Jeff williams

Cavy Gazer
Wouldn't the hot water shrink the fleece?Or the absorbent layer sewn in ...but I assume you mean homemade stuff not already made fleece with uhaul pads sewn in plus wouldn't bleach smell be to strong for the guinea pigs?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fleece shrinks a little, but not whole bunches. But you have to wash it several times anyway to get it to wick properly, so washing it in hot water and drying it in a hot dryer will take care of most of the shrinkage.

I rinse mine twice, and there's no bleach odor.

Krymle

Cavy Slave
Our buildings washing machines dont allow you to use your own detergent, softener, anything, hence my question. You can only say yes/no to softener, whites or colors. Now that i think about it, i hope they dont notice and get mad? Would they notice me using bleach and vinegar? :S

How would i run water in the machine before adding the fleece? Once you press start, there is nothing you can do to stop the machine, except an emergency button. But that should really only be used if for example something alive was inside - an animal or a small child, as all the water will pour out. I once lost a phone like this back in the day.. I had just pressed start, saw the water pouring in, when i remembered i had put my phone in with the clothes because i had no pockets.. it was too late.

Jeff williams

Cavy Gazer
I mean I definitely want to wash mine in hot water but afraid it will ruin it or shrink it to much ..im thinking of using warm water and vinegar and see how that works as well as all free and clear detergent

lissie

Cavy Slave
Since they have option for whites, I'd think that would be the hottest settings. They might already have bleach in the white wash setting.

Krymle

Cavy Slave
@Krymie, if you use bleach and vinegar it would most likely be noticed by the other people who use the machines. Although it is preferable to use both bleach and vinegar, it really isn't all that crucial if you can't. Many times if I'm in a hurry I just wash my fleece with scent free detergent and don't always worry about the other additives.

I wouldn't want to see you get in trouble with your apartment manager. Without the bleach and vinegar your fleece may not get as clean or smell as fresh but it will still be fine to use. You might just have to replace the fleece a little more often. You don't have to fill the machine with water before you add the fleece. Just put the fleece in the machine and add detergent and then just start the machine operating.

Were you planning to sew your own fleece liners and pads? Since I don't sew, I just look for fleece on sale and stock up at that time. I buy all my beds and pillows and little liners from sellers online. They have all the padding already inside so they are really easy to launder.

That's really too bad about your phone. I once accidentally ran my husband's watch through the machine. He had it in his pocket and I forgot to check first. I only made that mistake once. Now I check every clothing item because he's not real good about removing things from his pockets. lol

Really good to hear i dont NEED to use vinegar and bleach. :D What about the first time i get the fleece, and have to get it to start wicking? Just detergent is fine too? :)

I wont be using liners or pads. Just a single layer of fleece over the wood pellets. :)

I'm really not good at checking my pockets either. I always forget to take off my nametag from my workshirt. :p

Krymle

Cavy Slave
Since they have option for whites, I'd think that would be the hottest settings. They might already have bleach in the white wash setting.

Is there any way i can check that? Would i be able to smell the bleach afterwards? :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
Is there any way i can check that? Would i be able to smell the bleach afterwards? :)
If they don't use too much bleach, you might not be able to smell it after to wash.

Can you wash dirty white socks and see if they come out all white?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.