Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Am I feeding too much? What's your feeding schedule?

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
hehe looking forward to them, my piggies are vampires

Cherryblossom

Cavy Slave
Okay so here are the pics. Cocoa, the dark brown and white one, fluffs herself up when she's eating, so she's normally not that fat :)
PicMonkey Collage.jpg;alfk;alksdj.jpg

CavySavvyGirl

Cavy Slave
Those are some BIG pigs! lol What I do to try not to feed them so much romaine is get a bag with 50-50 romaine & green leaf. That way they still get their fave, romaine, but not so much of it that they get calcium deposits in their urine. It works for me....maybe it'll work for you!

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
Have you tried red leaf lettuce instead of romaine? That's what I feed my girls and they love it!

Cherryblossom

Cavy Slave
Those are some BIG pigs! lol What I do to try not to feed them so much romaine is get a bag with 50-50 romaine & green leaf. That way they still get their fave, romaine, but not so much of it that they get calcium deposits in their urine. It works for me....maybe it'll work for you!

Yes, they are pretty big! But like I said, cocoa doesn't look quite as big normally. When she eats, she sits in a way that makes her look a lot bigger than she is. I am pretty concerned for both their healths though. Also, that's a good idea, I didn't know they sold them like that. I'll have to try that. And I'm thinking maybe longer free-range time too, along with the decrease in lettuce. Thanks!

Cherryblossom

Cavy Slave
Have you tried red leaf lettuce instead of romaine? That's what I feed my girls and they love it!
If the decrease in romaine doesn't help, I'll have to try that! Thanks!

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
Those piggies got sum big butts and I can not lie! hehe but omg so cute. I always feed mine after or close to midnight.

Cherryblossom

Cavy Slave
Midnight? Is that okay? For me, I was thinking once at seven in the morning before I leave the house and one right after I get back, around 3:30 or 4. Sometimes a bit later.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
I feed mine veggies around 8 in the morning, that's also when I give them their pellets, then I feed them veggies again around 4 or 5 PM. I refill their hay bag in the morning and then again around 10 PM when my son goes to bed so they have plenty to munch on all night.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
You can't really over feed veggies, one cup per pig in the minimum, you can go over.

Yes you can. Too much of a vegetable high in this or that nutrient can cause digestive and other issues. Yes, one cup is the guideline and it doesn't have to be exact but 1 cup is the guideline for a reason.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.