Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Hay storage help needed

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
I need help because:

My two year old brother LOVES feeding my guinea pigs. I have my hay in a box on the floor, and my two year old brother loves to get the hay out and feed the pigs. That may seem cute, but what is not cute is the trail of hay he leaves all over the floor. I am a student and have a number of sports and other activities. I have little time to clean up the hay he drops.

Now, my parents have gotten pretty angry at me for the hay being all over the floor. So they want me to keep all the hay outside.That means no hay inside my room, except in the guinea pig cage. That seems like a pretty bad idea, because that means everytime I go outside to get the hay, and when I come back in, I will leave a trail of hay all over the HOUSE. At least right now, the hay is being contained in my room.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has any ideas on how to store hay outside? I might have to store the hay on a table in our backyard (underneath a roof), but I might be able to worm my way around to keeping some hay in my room. Does anyone have any ideas for toddler-proof hay storage (To be kept inside.)

Thanks for reading my long post!

What about this?
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

Do you have grid stand for your cage? If you do, you could put a grid door there and lock it with a carabiner clip. If he can open the carabiner, use luggage locks.

What about this?
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

Do you have grid stand for your cage? If you do, you could put a grid door there and lock it with a carabiner clip. If he can open the carabiner, use luggage locks.

I do not have any spare grids to make a stand, but will get grids when we move in a few months . I've been wanting to make a stand for a long time.

@lissie the outdoor bin looks like a great idea! Do you happen to have the link to where I can get something like that? Depending on the price, I might use it to store hay for the few months I am still at this place. Otherwise I'll just have to make daily trips. Thanks!

What about this?
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

It doesn't look like there's any ventilation. Won't it get moldy?

You should have a look at this website. (broken link removed) I want to do this in the future and it seems like a cheap, easy idea. good luck. :)

It doesn't look like there's any ventilation. Won't it get moldy?
I think there are gaps around the door. I found those pics in the photo gallery, and CavySpirit said she used the same thing at her rescue. So I think the container will work.

I do not have any spare grids to make a stand, but will get grids when we move in a few months . I've been wanting to make a stand for a long time.

@lissie the outdoor bin looks like a great idea! Do you happen to have the link to where I can get something like that? Depending on the price, I might use it to store hay for the few months I am still at this place. Otherwise I'll just have to make daily trips. Thanks!
I found a link on Amazon. It's very expensive. It would be cheaper for you to buy a box of grids and make a stand.

Keter Store It Out Midi Outdoor All Weather Patio Garden Backyard 4 x 2 ft. Resin Storage Shed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CA36ZKY/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_IusYwb730DFQY

Why don't you try keeping the hay on top of a dresser or stand, and give your little brother "treats" to feed the piggies (pellets) where every day you give their pellets to him and he can give them the pellets/"treats" throughout the day?

Why don't you try keeping the hay on top of a dresser or stand, and give your little brother "treats" to feed the piggies (pellets) where every day you give their pellets to him and he can give them the pellets/"treats" throughout the day?

Good idea! I don't trust him with the pellets yet, but I have started letting him feed my girls their veggies. most of the day I am at school, and can't control what he does concerning the guinea pigs throughout the day. But I did find a spare plastic bin that he doesn't to know how open yet. Hopefully he won't figure out how to open it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.