Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Just purchased Oxbow Botanical Hay

Wolfess221

Cavy Slave
I usually buy Timothy Hay for my girls, but I've been researching different hay products on Owbow's website and came across a couple I wanted to try: Botanical Hay and Orchard Grass Hay. I decided to try the Botanical one first. It has lavender, chamomile, lemon balm and clover in it and smells wonderful. And the girls love it! I give it a thumbs up for sure :)
botanical-large.png

pinky

Cavy Slave
Clover, lavender, chamomile and lemon balm are all very high in calcium so only offer as a treat if you have adults. Orchard grass is lower in calcium so it's a better choice for adults.

jessieisabel

Cavy Slave
Hi from ontario! My boys LOVE the orchard grass hay. I was only feeding them that but they go through it so fast that I've had to go back to our regular hay (which we buy in bulk) and just give orchard grass as a treat!

Hopefully your girls will enjoy the new hay!

Wolfess221

Cavy Slave
They're loving it :) [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION], right now I put in a mixture of the Botanical hay and the regular Timothy hay; hopefully that's okay for them. Thanks for the head's up though ^_^ [MENTION=27743]jessieisabel[/MENTION], nice to 'see' a fellow Ontarian on this site :) I'm glad to hear that your boys are enjoying it too!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Botanical hay shouldn't be an everyday hay even if it's mixed in with regular Timothy. Instead use it as a treat hay occasionally.

I know my pigs LOVE orchard grass, I actually switched it to their permanent hay as for the past while Oxbow's Timothy has been very hard and stalky. Meanwhile Orchard grass is very soft and grassy.

If you're any where around Guelph, Kitchener, Waterloo, Burlington, Waterdown or Woodbridge you can get great priced hay from a pet supply store called Ren's Pet Depot. In store you can 50lbs of Oxbow Timothy for $59.99 or I custom order 50lb boxes of Oxbow Orchard Grass to store for pick up and it's the same price.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.