Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General My guinea pig fell!!

MookaGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I just had a scare with my guinea pig, Mooka! I just got her about two or three weeks ago. She is still pretty skittish, although I think she is gaining my trust slowly. I had her in my lap for a couple of minutes and as I was standing up to put her back into her cage, she was squirming and kept trying to crawl up my shoulder. I tried to get her down so I could put her away safely but she fell!! :(:( She fell onto my rug, which is pretty soft, and it wasn't that big of a fall. She seemed okay when I picked her up from the ground, just very scared!! I put her back in my lap and calmed her down, she seems okay now, but it just happened about 10 minutes ago. Do you think she is okay? Will she ever trust me? I feel so bad!! :weepy: It doesn't seem like she hurt herself in the fall, but I can't tell, since it just happened. Please help! Thanks!
(She is my first and only guinea pig, help and advice are greatly appreciated!)

lemonham

Cavy Slave
Just wait and watch! If she has any trouble walking or breathing call the vet. But hopefully no damage done.

MookaGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Okay, I will! Thanks! :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
How high was the fall? You said she tried to climb to your shoulder? Did she fall from your shoulder when you were standing up?

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@MookaGuineaPig Check Mooka's teeth to make sure they aren't broken. Broken teeth can prevent a guinea pig from being able to eat.

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
Yes I agree with fizzlepop40 definetly check her teeth. Hopefully she won't show any signs of being injured and since you said she is a bit skittish Mooka might be a little nervous about being held. Whenever you take her out again if she seems nervous just hold her close to you not tight but to where she feels secure I've heard that makes piggies fell safer and it works with my piggie Marie although my other piggie Lizzie doesn't always enjoy being cuddled so I guess it depends on the guinea pig. I hope she is okay there was a thread a while back about a piggie who fell 4 feet which of course was a total accident but the guinea pig started popcorning and was fine.:)

MookaGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
@lissie - It's hard to say how high, maybe a couple feet, 3 or 4 at most.. Yes, she did fall when I was standing, and it was from my shoulder or at least close to there. But she seems to be doing just fine now, she probably just got a little shaken up!! Thanks for your help!

[MENTION=19971]Fizzlepop40[/MENTION] - I will check them, but she is eating and drinking fine, I think she's alright! :) Thanks alot!!!

MookaGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
@cavyluvr - Thanks so much!!! I'll try that next time I hold her!! :)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
You may also want to kneel down next time she starts to act up. With rabbits you hold them to your chest, kneel down and cover their eyes with one hand. It makes them calm down, most of the time. If not since you are kneeling there is less space for them to fall and hurt themselves. I'm glad she is doing OK and seems to be eating well.

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
I'm glad she's okay, if i have a wiggle worm I hold them close to me, not squeezing but firmly. Also, try a blankey, sometimes it's over them (it worked to actually calm one of mine years ago) or a bundle them in it, and mine don't seem to struggle as much.

lemonham

Cavy Slave
I agree with (broken link removed) about walking/kneeling close to the ground. I've had hamsters for years and they are jumpy for the first few weeks that we have them. I end up walking bent- over just in case they try to escape. I've had a few jumpers over the years and thankfully no injuries. Better safe than sorry. :)

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
@MookaGuineaPig your welcome! Glad I could be of help. It sounds like she is doing fine and like you said just had a bit of a shock.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.