Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Handheld vacuum preferance

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hi so i was wondering whats the best light handheld vacuum do use for my guinea pigs cage? thanks!!! :)

pawner69

Cavy Slave
I bought a small 1.5 gallon shop vac that cost around $20. Works great but I don't recommend sucking up hay cause the hose is not fun to unplug! Lol

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I bought a small 1.5 gallon shop vac that cost around $20. Works great but I don't recommend sucking up hay cause the hose is not fun to unplug! Lol
WEll im sure it better tham my household vacuum. :D

caitlinbenosky

Cavy Slave
i got the shark pet vac. it's incredible. it was like $60 at bed bath and beyond. and it's purple, so thats a plus haha. but it works really well. like @pawner69 said, don't suck up hay

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Ok awesome thanks, i was thinking about getting a shop vac.

caitlinbenosky

Cavy Slave
@adeline13 my parents wouldn't let me use their vaccuum anymore. apparently i got it clogged with hay (oops) so i had to go buy my own once i switched to fleece. probably my best investment.

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
@adeline13 my parents wouldn't let me use their vaccuum anymore. apparently i got it clogged with hay (oops) so i had to go buy my own once i switched to fleece. probably my best investment.
Haha really im suprised my parents didnt make me get my own yet. :p

ps how old are you? just courious

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
We just put this one on our Market store. After a lot of research, it seemed like the best option to go with.

https://www.guineapigmarket.com/bissell-vacuum-pets#.U345BS-x6Rk

bissell-1.jpg

caitlinbenosky

Cavy Slave
@CavySpirit ahhh! you guys need the black one! i would so buy that!

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I use this vacuum that can turn into a handheld vacuum too! 2 in one! It's called Dirt Devil and I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond!

couchon

Cavy Slave
CavySpirit, I use that one, and I love it!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
@CavySpirit ahhh! you guys need the black one! i would so buy that!

Hmm. I only ever saw this one color configuration for this model of vacuum.

CavySpirit, I use that one, and I love it!

You might consider adding a review for us on the store that is guinea pig and fleece-related. Would be good helpful for others. I'm in the process of upgrading our review system on the store. Later (when I get the upgrade done), readers will be able to see that you aren't a verified buyer, but it would be helpful none-the-less I think.

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
@CavySpirit is there any coupins for the cavy spirit store for first time buyers or something?

couchon

Cavy Slave
The filter is replacable. I don't know if CavySpirit's website sells filters as well - I didn't buy mine from the website, so I am not sure what else they sell for it - I bought mine from Amazon, and they do sell the replacement filters: https://www.amazon.com/Bissell-Hand...786898&sr=8-3&keywords=bissel+pet+hair+filter

Each filter is only $8.99, and it lasts at least several months before getting clogged up. As for the vacuum cleaner, I've had mine for over a year.

Yes, it can pick up hay, although it clogs it up pretty fast, and you need to empty it. So, what I do is pick up the large piles or long strangs of hay and then let the vacuum do the rest.

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
The filter is replacable. I don't know if CavySpirit's website sells filters as well - I didn't buy mine from the website, so I am not sure what else they sell for it - I bought mine from Amazon, and they do sell the replacement filters: https://www.amazon.com/Bissell-Hand...786898&sr=8-3&keywords=bissel+pet+hair+filter

Each filter is only $8.99, and it lasts at least several months before getting clogged up. As for the vacuum cleaner, I've had mine for over a year.

Yes, it can pick up hay, although it clogs it up pretty fast, and you need to empty it. So, what I do is pick up the large piles or long strangs of hay and then let the vacuum do the rest.

Awesome, How much was yours from amazon?

couchon

Cavy Slave
At the time when I got it, it was somewhere around $25

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
@CavySpirit is there any coupins for the cavy spirit store for first time buyers or something?

We just did a 10% off sale for over two weeks. It's over right now. Sorry.

We have to buy the vacuum at retail just like you guys do, so had to mark it up a bit so we didn't lose money. So, if you are price shopping, we are not cheapest (by a few dollars). We don't really make money on it. It's there to buy for convenience when you are buying other items. We tried hard to get it wholesale from Bissell or a wholesaler, but for that kind of item, you have to buy 1000's and obviously, that's not the kind of store we are.

So, it's a "convenience for our customers," "one-stop-shop for guinea pigs" item for us.

On the filter, many people say they just clean the filter and that works for them.

And by the way, for new people here, our stores are what keeps this forum a float, so please be a little considerate about enthusiastically selling against us. Thanks. Support of our stores is appreciated.

Last edited:

couchon

Cavy Slave
I am not sure if you were responding to me - I just gave @adeline13 the price because she was asking.

I completely understand what you are saying with the site - and the site helps a lot of people! But for some people who are on a very tight budget the price difference of even a few dollars can mean buying an item vs. not buying anything at all. And ultimately, I think it's better if they buy it for their piggies elsewhere than not buy it at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.