Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight Underweight?

ZipBonBoo

Cavy Slave
I've been wondering if the boar I adopted two months ago is underweight. His hip bones seem to pop out; they're very easily felt and his sides are straight with his butt/hips widening out.

I don't know what he ate in his previous home...all I know is that it was pellets with colored bits and not enough hay. I don't know if he was fed pellets on a regular basis, either. He's 3 years old and weighs a little under 3 pounds.

I'll try and get pictures sometime tomorrow when my dad gets back (his phone camera is a lot better than mine).

ZipBonBoo

Cavy Slave
Also, I'm worried about his vitamin C. He refuses to eat pepper in any form or color. I've tried red, green, and orange pepper and I've tried chopping it into small pieces, slicing it into thin, long pieces (how my other two girls like their pepper), and even wrapping it in lettuce...too bad he's not a big fan of lettuce. I bought Daily C and he refuses to eat that too...I'm hoping that once he's recovered from his neuter his sisters will teach him that pepper/Daily C is good to eat.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Unless he has a really big frame, just under 3 pounds is a fine weight for him. As long as he isn't losing weight, I wouldn't worry about it. The best you can do is make sure he has a good diet now.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Nearly 3 pounds is not usually underweight. I would think the vet that neutered him wouldn't have done it if he were underweight. The main thing is to weigh him regularly and make sure he maintains weight.

ZipBonBoo

Cavy Slave
Nearly 3 pounds is not usually underweight. I would think the vet that neutered him wouldn't have done it if he were underweight. The main thing is to weigh him regularly and make sure he maintains weight.

That's what I was thinking too. Okay, thanks for the responses. I suppose I was just used to rounder pigs, since one of my current sows is on the chubbier side and so was one of my previous sows.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.