Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Help! White poop and crusty white pee spots!

GuineaPiggiez

Cavy Slave
Ok, so I just cleaned my girls' cage yesterday, and today I noticed these weird white poops around their cage and weird white crusty spots. I don't know which one is doing this or if both of them are. They are both 3 year old females. They both seemed to be doing fine and acting normal yesterday and today, and they've had enough timothy hay pellets, timothy hay, water, and veggies. Please help I don't know what's wrong with them! Here are some pics:

206.jpg

209.jpg

207.jpg

208.jpg

Thanks, GuineaPiggiez

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I would think it's from calcium, I'm not sure. What are you feeding?

GuineaPiggiez

Cavy Slave
I would think it's from calcium, I'm not sure. What are you feeding?
I feed them unlimited timothy hay, 1/4 cup (1/8 for each pig) of Oxbow Cavy Cuisine, and a small piece of a big carrot each everyday along with orange slices, celery, or bell pepper, etc. depending on what I have in the fridge that day. Today I fed them carrots, (a small amount of) celery, and parsley.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I know the carrots and parsley are both rather high in calcium..I try not to feed veggies that high in calcium together, I spread them out. :)

GuineaPiggiez

Cavy Slave
I know the carrots and parsley are both rather high in calcium..I try not to feed veggies that high in calcium together, I spread them out. :)
Oh, ok. I used to give them the same small amount of carrot before, though, but they never had freaky poop. So is this just a weird random thing then?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd totally cut out the parsley, and switch from Oxbow to KMS pellets if you can. Orange should be only an occasional treat -- it has too much sugar to be fed often. They need more leafy greens rather than so much carrot, but avoid romaine as you already have possible calcium problems.

Switch the fleece to something of a solid color, and see if the spots improve. If not, completely cut out the pellets for several days and see if that does the trick. If it does, your issue is excess calcium, and you need to modify their diets to get rid of it.

GuineaPiggiez

Cavy Slave
I'd totally cut out the parsley, and switch from Oxbow to KMS pellets if you can. Orange should be only an occasional treat -- it has too much sugar to be fed often. They need more leafy greens rather than so much carrot, but avoid romaine as you already have possible calcium problems.

Switch the fleece to something of a solid color, and see if the spots improve. If not, completely cut out the pellets for several days and see if that does the trick. If it does, your issue is excess calcium, and you need to modify their diets to get rid of it.
Ok, I'll cut out the parsley. I only ever give them an orange wedge each once a week or every other week. Ok, I'll give them more leafy greens. I don't have any solid fleece, I'll just look carefully, and they're actually pretty easy to see (in person). Thanks.

GuineaPiggiez

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.