Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Would these Vitamin-C drops be good for guinea pigs?

GuineaPiggiez

Cavy Slave
Hey guys!

My guinea pigs are all healthy right now, but I was just wondering if these drops would be good for them, or if they're just unnecessary.

The product that I was looking at, Oasis Vita-Drops for Guinea Pigs, says that you're supposed to just put 2 drops of this in your piggies' water bottle every day to give them the Vitamin C and other Vitamins that they need. But wouldn't the Vitamin C "go away" by the time they drank all of it? I give my guinea piggies lots of fresh veggies every day, but would this be a good idea to give them too, or am i just paranoid? Lol. Here's the link to the product:

(broken link removed)

Also, is "Medications" the right prefix for this thread? Is this were I should be posting threads like these? Because this isn't about an urgent medical problem with my guinea pigs, but it's still about medicine/vitamins... I'm just making sure I'm not doing anything wrong!

Thanks,
GuineaPiggiez

Coconut4536

Cavy Slave
i use them because when i got my piggie she wasnt eating as much soo my vet gave her special food with the vitadrops and she got back to normal
my piggie liked them soo i liked them to .

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're absolutely right about the vitamin C in the water -- it's useless. Oasis Vita Drops is interested in nothing more than selling more Oasis Vita Drops, so you can pretty much discount what they say about how to give it.

If your pigs are getting a good vegetable diet, you don't have to worry about supplementing vitamin C. What are you feeding them?

And this is a good thread to post this in.

GuineaPiggiez

Cavy Slave
You're absolutely right about the vitamin C in the water -- it's useless. Oasis Vita Drops is interested in nothing more than selling more Oasis Vita Drops, so you can pretty much discount what they say about how to give it.

If your pigs are getting a good vegetable diet, you don't have to worry about supplementing vitamin C. What are you feeding them?

And this is a good thread to post this in.
I feed them lots of carrots (about half of a big carrot each, every day), romaine lettuce, and (only every couple of days, because they are high in sugar) raisins. I also feed them other piggie-safe veggies and fruits whenever we have them in the house. Some of the other fruits and veggies we have right now are bell peppers, tomatoes, raspberries, and strawberries. They are also fed timothy hay pellets and unlimited timothy hay.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I feed them lots of carrots (about half of a big carrot each, every day), romaine lettuce, and (only every couple of days, because they are high in sugar) raisins. I also feed them other piggie-safe veggies and fruits whenever we have them in the house. Some of the other fruits and veggies we have right now are bell peppers, tomatoes, raspberries, and strawberries. They are also fed timothy hay pellets and unlimited timothy hay.

Just be careful, carrots are very high in calcium and some pigs have troubles with the calcium in romaine lettuce.

For a staple each day it's a good idea to feed red or green leaf lettuce and green bell peppers.

GuineaPiggiez

Cavy Slave
Just be careful, carrots are very high in calcium and some pigs have troubles with the calcium in romaine lettuce.

For a staple each day it's a good idea to feed red or green leaf lettuce and green bell peppers.
Ok. They don't seem to be having trouble with their calcium intake right now, but thanks, I'll be more careful and feed them a little bit less carrots now. I'll also get some more bell peppers.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Timothy hay pellets are generally held together with molasses and have too much sugar to be fed regularly to guinea pigs. They're ok as an occasional treat, or if you can find the ones that are just baked together without a sugar binder, they can be fed a bit more often. Fruit also is an occasional treat. a little bit once or twice a week.

The problem with carrots isn't calcium, but excess vitamin A.

GuineaPiggiez

Cavy Slave
Timothy hay pellets are generally held together with molasses and have too much sugar to be fed regularly to guinea pigs. They're ok as an occasional treat, or if you can find the ones that are just baked together without a sugar binder, they can be fed a bit more often. Fruit also is an occasional treat. a little bit once or twice a week.

The problem with carrots isn't calcium, but excess vitamin A.
Oh, I'm so confused! I meant timothy hay pellets as their guinea pig food, not one of their treats. The guinea pig food I get isn't held together with a sugar binder.

And I know that fruits are only occasional treats, I have only fed them two berries each so far this week.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.