Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Possible Neurological Issues!

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I recently took in 2 foster pigs to help a friend out.

One of them has some serious neurological issues it seems like. When she was younger she battled a ear infection that was not treated in time, and that left her with a head tilt. She is about 2 years old now. I am beginning to think there is more going on than what was originally told and thought.

I cuddle her daily. Every time I pet her head, she will rear back to the point where she lays on her back frozen. Like she is playing dead. I have never had a pig do this. This is not a head butt. Her lights seems to go out when she rears back.

She is also a tiny girl. My friend said this is normal for her, but I feel too many bones for my liking. I am used to plump pigs. On her I just feel every bone. She is eating fine, of course, but it still concerns me a bit. I've had petite pigs before- this is different.

Any insight you can give me would be amazing. I do know a vet visit is in order. But what testing would be needed?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's unusual. I don't have any ideas, but I'd love to hear what the vet says when you get back.

pinky

Cavy Slave
There was a guinea pig someone used to bring to some of our rescue events that would roll on his back when you'd hold him and would freeze up like he was paralyzed. He would be completely stiff. Once you rolled him back over, he'd be fine. I saw a video on Yahoo where a dog would do that when one particular guy would hold him. As soon as the owner took him back, he'd act normal.

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
We have a piggy who came to us with a bad URI. It took many months to get it completely eradicated. The piggy was left with permanent bobblehead (Head tilt, weaving etc). When you put him on his back, he goes stiff as a board but is fine (well, fine for him) when you turn him back over. He is one of the friendliest, sweetest pigs we've had.
OUr vet never suggested any testing other than clearing the URI.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
We have a piggy who came to us with a bad URI. It took many months to get it completely eradicated. The piggy was left with permanent bobblehead (Head tilt, weaving etc). When you put him on his back, he goes stiff as a board but is fine (well, fine for him) when you turn him back over. He is one of the friendliest, sweetest pigs we've had.
OUr vet never suggested any testing other than clearing the URI.

This girl does have a bobblehead somewhat as well. Weaving and she does circles too. Never have been through this with any of my pigs.

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
Yes - lots of circles. And when you give Lucas a treat, he tosses his head so much with the treat in his mouth that he often flings the treat clear out of the cage and can't figure out what happened to it.
The bobbleheads have always been some of my favorites. They seem happy but I wonder what it's like to be them.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
A friend of mine and I were discussing that it could be a head trauma as well. Though this is just a thought, and of course we will never know for sure.

She is a very sweet girl. Just scares me when she does the rearing and falls onto her back and in a trance. I always have both hands on her to catch her. I just worry as I do know this is totally not a normal pig thing to do. I am trying to make her as comfortable as possible. She is a very timid girl, who loves to hide a LOT. I have several hideys in her cage, along with a blanket over the top to hopefully get her feeling more secure. Apparently she was this way with her old owner as well, so I am working with her to find something, anything that will get her out of that shell.

It won't happen overnight, but I hope she gets there at some point- for her sake.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.