Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ohio- Anyone willing to adopt some piglets?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I know quite a few people on here will not understand why I am rehoming or why I feel this way. That's fine, though. I know I am doing this for them. For what they need and deserve. I want to see if there is another home out there that would be better than mine. To give them the extra time that I feel I can't give right now. I love all of my fur babies, it's just different with Guinness being gone. Can't really explain it, it's just deep down in my soul. After 4 guinea pig losses since last September, I just can't do it. If you feel I am abandoning them, I am sorry. I don't feel that way. I am not dropping them off at my local shelter or giving them away for free. I love them and want them to find a proper forever home.

I am also sorry if I miss read your last post. I read it as you feel I am doing this for myself and abandoning them. That is simply not the case.

I agree that you probably should talk to a professional. I wonder if you might be suffering from depression since the loss of Guinness. I know how hard it is to lose these little ones. Maybe Guinness's death has triggered a sense of burden or obligation that's overwhelming.Talking to a professional might help with that. If you love them, I'd give it more time for their sake. I'm sorry you're feeling the way you do but I think you need to address that grief if that's at the root of feeling the need to rehome them.

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have been talking to my husband and my friends, [MENTION=28225]aspecht[/MENTION] being one of them. She knows a great deal of what I've been dealing with and how crazy my life has been the last few months. I am grieving, not stupid. I have thought a lot about this. Just because this is the first time I am sharing this thought with this forum does not mean I am not taking this seriously.

Thank you for your concern for my piggies, but I have to do what is best for everyone right now.

starusue

Cavy Slave
I want the female one. My piggy is lonely. Where do you live ?

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I am located in Columbus, Ohio

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have been talking to my husband and my friends, [MENTION=28225]aspecht[/MENTION] being one of them. She knows a great deal of what I've been dealing with and how crazy my life has been the last few months. I am grieving, not stupid. I have thought a lot about this. Just because this is the first time I am sharing this thought with this forum does not mean I am not taking this seriously.

Thank you for your concern for my piggies, but I have to do what is best for everyone right now.

No one said you're stupid or not taking it seriously. I can tell you're very serious about it. You mentioned being grief stricken over the loss of a pet you loved but you also feel the need to get rid of pets you love. Maybe there are other things going on in your life that you haven't mentioned that are weighing into your decision. If you didn't love them, I agree you should rehome them. But, if you really love them, why would you rehome them since they're being cared for properly and have a good home? It's like they're being punished. That's why I wondered if you're suffering from depression because what you're saying isn't logical. There are about 1,000 guinea pigs listed on Petfinder right now. It just seems really sad that someone who loves their pets and has provided a safe and secure home would give them up. I'm not trying to get you riled up. I'm just trying to make you see that your reasoning seems contradictory.

pinky

Cavy Slave
@Melissa123, I'm just curious how many pets do you have right now? Are you overwhelmed by the number of pets you have?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Ok [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION], youve said your piece. Theres no reason to keep at it when you know youre upsetting her. Not trying to rile her up? That seems like exactly what youre doing. Yes shes grieving. She feels that the pigs deserve someone who can share the bond with them that she had with Guiness and Wrigley. Not so horrible of her, id want the same. She has been doing a lot of thinking about her decision. It is her decision to make. Nobody has any room to judge. Weve all had to make tough decisions, and in the end do whats best for everyone involved. Plain and simple.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Ok [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION], youve said your piece. Theres no reason to keep at it when you know youre upsetting her. Not trying to rile her up? That seems like exactly what youre doing. Yes shes grieving. She feels that the pigs deserve someone who can share the bond with them that she had with Guiness and Wrigley. Not so horrible of her, id want the same. She has been doing a lot of thinking about her decision. It is her decision to make. Nobody has any room to judge. Weve all had to make tough decisions, and in the end do whats best for everyone involved. Plain and simple.
You're right. It's her decision to make and I hope she does right by "them". I just really, really feel sorry for them.

madrae

Cavy Slave
Having once getting a piggy from Melissa123 that she rescued, and going through practically a two hour interview before she decided I might be able to provide a proper home (for a pig she only had in her possession a short time, I might add, not one of her own pets), I can assure everyone here that this is not a careless, mindless, dump or downsizing. Melissa takes her commitment to her animals more seriously than anyone I have ever met, and this decision was not reached lightly.

What else she may have going on, and what other animals she might have is something she chose not to share and really has no relevance to this post or even a guinea pig forum if she chooses not to share. And to lay guilt trips on her - "the pigs will be uprooted".... "the poor boy who lost his mate"..."there are thousands on Petfinder"... what is she supposed to do? Get another pig so the one won't be alone? Throw food at them, sweep poop and then close the door?

I know Melissa, she will not let those pigs go to anyone who will treat them any less than royalty. And she thought HERE would be the place to start looking for passionate pig owners to help her out. The more she shared, the more she tried to explain, the more ridiculous the armchair psychologist suggestions have gotten.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I don't think anyone is saying she hasn't thought long and hard about it. All that is being said is that they are with a great mom who loves them and it's surprising that even if there's a lot going on (and I've had a lot going on with my mental status to where I gave up my birds in '11 and to this day wish I didn't- that I would have done a temporary thing). They weren't my "soul mates" but still, I loved them and miss them more than I thought 3 years later- even though I know there are in a "perfect" home. Major depression is the suck. I have generalized anxiety to boot. 24/7, even on meds. I'm disabled from it, not seeing any family and only 1 good friend. That's it. There are days I don't give Mooshy my all. Sure she gets her basic needs met, but I don't feel like playing a lot sometimes like she does. But I'm not giving her away to a great home. She is bonded to me and I know that it would be horrible for her if she lost me. Anyway, we all see things differently. Some folks are pointing out from the animal's pov and others are from the OP. That's all. I wish the pigs well on their long journey.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Having once getting a piggy from Melissa123 that she rescued, and going through practically a two hour interview before she decided I might be able to provide a proper home (for a pig she only had in her possession a short time, I might add, not one of her own pets), I can assure everyone here that this is not a careless, mindless, dump or downsizing. Melissa takes her commitment to her animals more seriously than anyone I have ever met, and this decision was not reached lightly.

What else she may have going on, and what other animals she might have is something she chose not to share and really has no relevance to this post or even a guinea pig forum if she chooses not to share. And to lay guilt trips on her - "the pigs will be uprooted".... "the poor boy who lost his mate"..."there are thousands on Petfinder"... what is she supposed to do? Get another pig so the one won't be alone? Throw food at them, sweep poop and then close the door?

I know Melissa, she will not let those pigs go to anyone who will treat them any less than royalty. And she thought HERE would be the place to start looking for passionate pig owners to help her out. The more she shared, the more she tried to explain, the more ridiculous the armchair psychologist suggestions have gotten.

I didn't realize she rescued and rehomed animals. Thanks for clarifying that because it makes sense now. I guess I got sidetracked by the other things she said and didn't want her to end up regretting it later once she got over her grief. Written words are funny things. It's easy to read more into what's intended.

pinky

Cavy Slave

oops duplicate......

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I think as long as Melissa is comfortable with her decision, that's what matters most. We know the little guys will go to great homes, and she can focus on the pair she has left.

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
Would you be willing to travel halfway to meet me if I said I would take the boys? I'll still have to ask my boyfriend, but I wanted to ask whether you would or not before I asked him if I could have them.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Pinky- you feel bad for my piggies? Why exactly is this - Because I care enough about them to know when it's time to rehome them to someone who can give them what they need? You are WAY out of line saying you feel sorry for my pigs. They will be placed in a new home with someone who can care for them properly.

Get over your high and mighty complex. I am only a human being, I do make mistakes, but this is not one of those mistakes.

Regardless of my animals- that really doesn't concern you or anyone else. I provide for all of my fur babies. I do not like rehoming, but it is needed right now for them and myself. Yes- myself (ps... I am important as well!!). I hate that I feel this way, but I honestly should not have to explain myself to any of you. I came to this forum to share my hurt and feelings and not a lot of people know it. Between you and Artisa bullying me into trying to keep my pigs, I don't know what to think of this site. You two single handily made me ball like a huge baby last night. I felt worthless. Luckily I have my amazing husband and great friends to cheer me up and built me back up.

Instead of beating someone down like this- build them up! It is bullies like you 2 that make me want to keep everything bottled up.

Last edited:

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Ohio is far from me, if it was closer I'd love to adopt your pigs. :) they sound like little cutie pies.

ajweekley

Cavy Slave
*hugs* Melissa123. I'm sorry for your losses. I couldn't take them even if I were closer, but I do hope you are able to find homes for them soon. Allow yourself to grieve your other precious babies. It's important to take care of yourself too.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Pinky- you feel bad for my piggies? Why exactly is this - Because I care enough about them to know when it's time to rehome them to someone who can give them what they need? You are WAY out of line saying you feel sorry for my pigs. They will be placed in a new home with someone who can care for them properly.

Get over your high and mighty complex. I am only a human being, I do make mistakes, but this is not one of those mistakes.

Regardless of my animals- that really doesn't concern you or anyone else. I provide for all of my fur babies. I do not like rehoming, but it is needed right now for them and myself. Yes- myself (ps... I am important as well!!). I hate that I feel this way, but I honestly should not have to explain myself to any of you. I came to this forum to share my hurt and feelings and not a lot of people know it. Between you and Artisa bullying me into trying to keep my pigs, I don't know what to think of this site. You two single handily made me ball like a huge baby last night. I felt worthless. Luckily I have my amazing husband and great friends to cheer me up and built me back up.

Instead of beating someone down like this- build them up! It is bullies like you 2 that make me want to keep everything bottled up.
I'm sorry you're going through whatever it is that is causing you so much pain. You posted a thread and had it open for comments so I offered my thoughts on the possibility that you might have been slipping into depression after the loss of your pet because you suggested you were grief stricken. It seemed significant since you were the one that offered that information, You could have simply listed them for adoption and not even written the thread. Your comments sounded conflicted, though, and it appeared that you weren't sure if you were doing the right thing. You can attack me. If it makes you feel better, doesn't bother me. I just thought you might not be thinking clearly if you were under so much duress and might regret your decision later. I can see now that after others commented that it's probably much more complicated than that. All I can say is I hope you can find peace within yourself and that whatever burden you're carrying eases up.

ajweekley

Cavy Slave
She wasn't attacking you, pinky... she felt attacked. Melissa123 asked nicely several times for support instead of criticism. I thought she handled it quite nicely.

It's ok to just apologize for hurting someone's feelings without trying to make them feel bad for reacting in a hurt manner. Especially when that person has shown a lot of restraint and repeatedly explained herself to people that, frankly, she doesn't have to explain herself to.

mtk2000

Cavy Slave
Seeing we live so close (Cleveland) I would love to take your single female but unfortunately my parents would never agree. I truly do hope you find caring and wonderful homes for all your pigs. Stay strong and best wishes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.