Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Misaligned Teeth

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Some pictures of George boy...

You can see on the left side of his face that there is a HUGE lump which is where the abscess was.
The other boy in two of the pictures was his best bud Timmy

pizap.com10.401722195092588661382601523190.jpg

pizap.com10.6203084746375681382601571556.jpg

pizap.com10.61228416394442321382601705700.jpg

pizap.com10.6668024319224061382601799084.jpg

pizap.com10.22769661853089931382601850510.jpg

pizap.com10.27458203071728351382601908746.jpg

Piggy_

Cavy Slave
Awww, it's so sweet that you could see Timmy comforting and worried for George. Just shows they really do love their cage mates, even if they do have the odd squabble over a hidey, or who gets to eat the last bit of lettuce. George's teeth look so so bad. Poor guy must've been really uncomfortable :( Not the ending we all would've liked but George is free from any pain, and Timmy sounds like he has a great new friend waiting for him to help him get past any grief over loosing George <3

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
You know....I am really learning lots of stuff with all of this...a lady contacted me yesterday and part of her message (it was about George) said this...

"If he was losing so much weight then you clearly weren't feeding him enough. It is a long and tedious job but something that needs to be done. Sorry to be insensitive but seriously, putting an animal to sleep because he needs "force feeding" is just unnecessary. Pets are not for our convenience, we are for theirs, they are dependant on your nurturing to survive and if that means two hourly feeds it means two hourly feeds at all cost. If you can't take the pressure, please consider limiting the number of critically ill pigs that you rescue."

We got told by three different vets that he needed to put down...but we gave him four days to see if it wasn't the only option....

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
That's no reason to put an animal down just because you can't pay the bills.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave

I don't know what this has to do, but he was NOT put down due to money. I see no reason why this thread was started up again.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
It has nothing to do with the money.. This poor pig was in pain and she decided to end his suffering. Some surgery's are not worth the risk once a pig is in horrible shape.

[MENTION=23045]RodentCuddles[/MENTION] runs a very well known rescue. She takes care of all of the piglets and does everything possible to save their life and make sure they end up in a forever home.

Read the whole story before you jump to conclusions about something. As this is an older thread, I will say no more.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
You said nothing about surgery on the first post

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
You said nothing about surgery on the first post

Wow...That is because the lady had JUST dropped them off and I'd only just booked in them in for a visit with the vets.

I didn't know he had a HUGE deep abscess on the side of his mouth, all I knew was that his teeth and his whole jaw were Misaligned. We spoke to 3 vets...two of which were extoic ones who were very well experienced with guinea pigs. Guinea pig puss is NOT like other animal puss, you can't just drain it. He'd lost over half his weight and he was very sickly....he didn't have the energy to walk, wheek, drink or eat...he was barely alive. Two of the vets didn't even want to talk about doing the operation because he wouldn't make it. Our vets brought it up as it was an option..but they did not want us to go ahead with it.

Don't judge what you don't know. This was a heart breaking experience for me, my mum, George's owner and our vets. I don't know why you brought this back up and want to tell me that I did the wrong thing. You weren't there, so you can't judge. I asked for help on here and it was so bad that no one on here could help.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Wow...That is because the lady had JUST dropped them off and I'd only just booked in them in for a visit with the vets.

I didn't know he had a HUGE deep abscess on the side of his mouth, all I knew was that his teeth and his whole jaw were Misaligned. We spoke to 3 vets...two of which were extoic ones who were very well experienced with guinea pigs. Guinea pig puss is NOT like other animal puss, you can't just drain it. He'd lost over half his weight and he was very sickly....he didn't have the energy to walk, wheek, drink or eat...he was barely alive. Two of the vets didn't even want to talk about doing the operation because he wouldn't make it. Our vets brought it up as it was an option..but they did not want us to go ahead with it.

Don't judge what you don't know. This was a heart breaking experience for me, my mum, George's owner and our vets. I don't know why you brought this back up and want to tell me that I did the wrong thing. You weren't there, so you can't judge. I asked for help on here and it was so bad that no one on here could help.

You don't have to justify your actions to anyone hun. Some people are just insensitive know it alls. You do amazing things for these animals. I've never been in your position, so I can't say what I would have done. You guys did what you felt was best. If he was suffering it isn't fair to make them continue to suffer. I know you felt terrible it came to that, but it isn't on you. His previous owners are obviously the ones in the wrong here. This is something that didn't happen overnight.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
We had to put our kitty down a long while ago, so I feel you. You did a great job with George- I'm sure hes in piggy heaven eating all the hay he wants and zoomieing around!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.