Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Can't decide if I want to expand my C&C cages

jessdb

Cavy Slave
Right now i have two girl piggies, Cookie and S'mores (S'mores, though younger and smaller, likes to pick on Cookie sometimes), and they are in a 2x3.5 cage. I'm really looking into getting two more grid pieces, (for the cage stand) and some connectors and expanding the cage just a bit to make a 2x4 cage. But I can't decide if i want to do that or not, i was orginally just thinking of adding a kitchen area, but as i went downstairs this morning to see them, S'mores was picking on cookie and hogging all the food as usual and i am hoping expanding the cage could solve that problem. However, since i would have to buy new coroplast and liners and some extra grids anyway, im wondering if it would be more "worth-while" to expand to a 2x5 cage instead. Yet, having to buy even more grids than planned for the base. Would it maybe be sturdy enough to hold a 2x5 cage on top of a 2x3.5 centered below it? Or would i definitely need to expand the bottom too? Or should i just stick with my 2x4 idea?

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
I think if you have the space bigger is always better. I have 3 girls in a 2x6 with a 2x2 loft. They were originally in a 2x4. I had the same dilemma as you. I was trying to decide between a 2x5 with an off set loft or a 2x6. I knew if I went smaller I would be discontent. Also about the food, do both of your girls have their own food bowls?

jessdb

Cavy Slave
I think if you have the space bigger is always better. I have 3 girls in a 2x6 with a 2x2 loft. They were originally in a 2x4. I had the same dilemma as you. I was trying to decide between a 2x5 with an off set loft or a 2x6. I knew if I went smaller I would be discontent. Also about the food, do both of your girls have their own food bowls?

Would i definitely need to expand the cage stand to be 2x5 as well? (Im not sure how sturdy it would be) and their food is generally put in a cat food bowl where it has two areas technically for food and water but i use both sides for food

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about the stand. You could look at some pictures of stands in the photo section of the forum and get some ideas. I would get 2 separate bowls for food. I have 3 food bowls and 2 water bottles for my 3 girls. Before I put a food bowl in for each of them they woul squabble over the food.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Would i definitely need to expand the cage stand to be 2x5 as well? (Im not sure how sturdy it would be) and their food is generally put in a cat food bowl where it has two areas technically for food and water but i use both sides for food
I would expand the stand. It's going to be much sturdier that way, and it'll be easier to connect or zip tie to the cage itself.
Bigger is always better for the cage. Go as big as you can with how many grids you have. Your girls will love you for it. I have three in an almost 2x7 L cage. There's so much room, they can run and run without getting in each others way.

jessdb

Cavy Slave
I actually decided to get a whole new jumbo size cage! Its 2x6 and im going to use my medium size cage to make the stand for the jumbo cage! Yay tax refunds! hahaha i'll also see about getting two seperate food bowls for them! Thanks you guys for all your input!

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
I actually decided to get a whole new jumbo size cage! Its 2x6 and im going to use my medium size cage to make the stand for the jumbo cage! Yay tax refunds! hahaha i'll also see about getting two seperate food bowls for them! Thanks you guys for all your input!
You're welcome. I think you'll be glad you did.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Hey you stole my pigs' names! I have a Cookie and S'mores too!
Good luck with your cage, I'm glad you decided to expand, your pigs will thank you. I have my girls in a 2x4 and would love to expand, but I don't have the room.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.