Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Goodbye, Artemis...

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
This is the single hardest post I have ever had to make.

Artemis passed away at just gone 10.30 this morning.

We tried introductions yesterday. It went wrong. Artemis and Luna turned on one another and got into a vicious fight. By the time I got in there, the damage was done. Artemis had a huge gash down her face. We went straight to the emergency vets, where she had to be put under anaesthetic to be sewn up. She was up and walking about when we brought her home. But she deteriorated through the night.

We took her to be hospitalised this morning. Left her at the vets at 10. Walked through the door at about 10.25. At 10.30 I got the call. She had passed in her carrier while they were arranging her hospital cage. They opened it up and she was gone.

The vet surmised the wound had damage her airway. She had rattly breathing. When I got her out to bury her, there was fluid coming from her nostril.

She died because I put her at risk. I did everything I though was right, everything I had done for introductions successfully so many times before. Neutral space, large space, vegetables, clean hideys that smelled of no-one. I never in my deepest nightmares imagined Artemis and Luna would turn on one another.

I feel an abject failure. A monster. I took this little girl in -promising- her a better life. Now she's dead. There are no words to describe what I am feeling. I can't explain the remorse and the anger and regret and self loathing. It was so fast, it was seconds, I was up the second it started. But the damage was done.

I let her down so deeply. I feel I do not deserve to have my remaining girls.

Luna is hurt too. She has two bite wounds. She's on baytril and we are cleaning them with salt water. I am terrified they will abscess. She is very quiet right now. She is not coming to greet me like she normally does. She's eating, but hiding to eat. She's just hiding. I don't know how to help her. I daren't try introductions again. I don't want anyone else to be hurt. But I am terrified she is going to become depressed.

I feel broken. I feel such a terrible person. Four weeks. That's all we had. Four weeks. And she was doing so well. I had got her weight up to 900g. She loved to be cuddled. She let me stroke her in the cage without running away. She sat on my had while I spot cleaned.

Part of me feels like I should surrender them. I should get Luna well, make sure her wounds are healed, then give them up to someone else who can keep them safe. I would be miserable without them, but what's happened makes me doubt myself so deeply I do not feel as if I can be trusted with them.

Four weeks. It's so cruel. I never thought for a second she and Luna would fight. Not for a second. It must have been the stress and the fear.

Everyone said on their Intro thread that I was such a good piggy mum, that I rescued them and that they would have such a good life with me. Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.

I'm so frightened for Luna. So frightened. I have no idea what I am going to do for her.

I have Artemis' coat all over me. It's all stuck on my clothes. I can't get it off.

I feel so broken.

Her final resting place is pictured below. The rose bush in there is called a Blue Moon. We picked this one because the name Artemis comes from the Greek moon goddess. She is my patron goddess and our Artemis' name was very special and important. We chose it because she was special enough to warrant it...

Artie.jpg
Artie 2.jpg

DSC_0571.jpg

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost her, I cannot even imagine how you're feeling right now.

The only thing I can say is that it sounds like you did everything right. Sometimes freak accidents happen. You did everything you could for both of your girls. Don't give up on your remaining girl, just focus on giving Luna your care and attention.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@wigglemish....

Even though I knew earlier today, I still can't believe I'm here, reading this.

When you took Artemis and Luna from their previous life, you saved them. You truly did. All you've ever done from the beginning was to do your best to ensure their lives got better, and I know you succeeded in that.

Artemis' weight had gone up 200 grams in the month you had her. That is SO difficult to do with an adult pig, as anyone here can attest to. Whatever you did, you did it right.

She did NOT die because you put her at risk. She died because of an accident, something that no one could have foreseen or expected. I know deep in my heart that if you had even the slightest hint that that might happen, you would not have tried introductions.
Those introductions were intended to introduce them to new sisters, further improving their lives. That's not a failure, and those are not the actions of a monster. They are the actions of a loving piggy parent who only wants what is best for her newest furry children.

What happened does not make you a failure. It simply means that something went wrong. It doesn't mean you shouldn't have your remaining girls. They need you, and you need them. Accidents happen, and had this accident NOT happened, I know that they would have had a wonderful life together.

I believe you packed enough love and attention in those four weeks, that Artemis knew she had a wonderful home. Indeed, she only took four weeks to become your little cuddle monster. She was at peace. Please, please do not give up on your remaining girls. To continue on with them and give them a great life, would be the greatest testament to Artemis' memory.

Rest in peace, Artemis. I am so happy to know that your time with your new family was warm, and loving. May you take that with you in your journey to the Rainbow Bridge, while you wait for your people and your sisters to come and find you again when it's time. I've asked my Pooper pig this morning to watch out for you until that time comes.

Your resting place is fit for the goddess that you were named after.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
I cannot think of more to say more than what I have already written to you and to second every single word of @Guinea Pig Papa's post, as I could not have written it better.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. What happened could have happened to any one of us on this forum, there was no way to predict or prevent it and it was not your fault. Please try and stop beating yourself up over it.

Your remaining piggies need you, they have a loving caring home with you. Especially Luna, she needs your love and patience for you to both work through the trauma together.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Thank you, all. I am spending as much time with Luna as I possibly can at the moment. In the mornings I am bringing her into bed with me and we eat breakfast in bed together, which she seems to really like. She huddles down into my duvet and I tilt her bowl for her so she can be lazy and eat while lying down. Last night we did lots of playing. She's chewing her cage still, but filling brown paper bags with grass and things seems to offer her some distraction, something else she can destroy. She wouldn't come out of her bed yesterday morning, but today she got up to greet me...

I am more sad for her than me, tbh. Artemis was her mother. She didn't meant to hurt her, it was a horrible, horrible accident. When I put Artie back in with her she was grooming her and trying to get her to play. She couldn't understand why she wouldn't get up. They were both just frightened...

I'm trying to help Luna as much as I can. I still don't know what will be best for her. Her wounds have to heal before we make any decisions. At least, touch wood, they seem to be doing well. Please, if anyone here prays, can you pray her wounds do not abscess? I cannot take any more loss....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.